• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I have been naughty and been trying alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1708

Century Club
I have been naughty and been trying alcohol – I love a drink when I am out but have no interest at home unless having a romantic candlelit dinner . . .

While out with friends on Sunday, I ‘inadvertently’ drank the best part of a (nice) bottle of red and it had no effect whatsoever ! “How strange”, I though given all we have been told. Naturally, my surgeon has approved alcohol in small doses which a bottle over 2 hours seems reasonable to me. I hadn’t eaten for a couple of hours pre drink – this was not on purpose but just happened that way – anyway though I felt sober as a judge (!) I did feel full and content so all was well.

It is a difficult concept for me to grasp – I understand that as I reduce in size my alcohol tolerance will also reduce – I also understand that with the bypass much of the product you eat or drink passes from the stomach directly into the jejunum (the part of the small intestine where most absorption takes place) so one should feel the effects much quicker . . . xxx

i had my first drink a few weeks ago (i chose a cocktail!) Took me about an hour to sip away at and then i felt very merry! Although i sobered up just as fast - hope i become a cheap date! x

I was going to 'like' your post but then i thought about it and i have to say, i think your mad... Only just over a month out of surgery and alcohol? I think your mad....

Hi Kevin,

Can I ask what your provider recommends regarding alcohol post surgery?

At Walsall Manor we are advised to stay off alcohol for 12 months if possible, one reason being that as you say the effects of alcohol can be felt much quicker due to our new plumbing, but also due to the empty calories it provides (and in my case it always leads to the munchies)

Addiction transfer is not a good thing. The things that scared me by your post are:

1. You drank on an empty stomach, not good for anyone let alone bypassers.
2. It sounds like you didn't notice how you were suddenly at the end of the bottle.

I'm sorry if i come across as self righteous here, but i just don't understand having surgery then drinking empty calories within weeks. Saying this its a known fact i'm a tea/coffee drinker by choice, but i do occasionally enjoy a glass of Rose (my new grown up drink of choice) but i waited till i was 4 months then had one glass and was nearly tiddly on that... The lack of effect on you it had is also a concern as i'd be thinking 'oooh lets see how much it takes to get tiddly'...............

I have been naughty and been trying alcohol – I love a drink when I am out but have no interest at home unless having a romantic candlelit dinner . . .

While out with friends on Sunday, I ‘inadvertently’ drank the best part of a (nice) bottle of red and it had no effect whatsoever ! “How strange”, I though given all we have been told. Naturally, my surgeon has approved alcohol in small doses which a bottle over 2 hours seems reasonable to me. I hadn’t eaten for a couple of hours pre drink – this was not on purpose but just happened that way – anyway though I felt sober as a judge (!) I did feel full and content so all was well.

It is a difficult concept for me to grasp – I understand that as I reduce in size my alcohol tolerance will also reduce – I also understand that with the bypass much of the product you eat or drink passes from the stomach directly into the jejunum (the part of the small intestine where most absorption takes place) so one should feel the effects much quicker . . . xxx

I am shocked tbh that your drinking so soon after surgery tbh as your body is still in the healing process. Btw I am not judging you but trying too understand why people go through life changing surgery only too ignore any advice/guidelines given too them by their provider (if you was)by drinking so soon after surgery.

Kevin you really need to be very careful, as some one who was a occasional vodka drinker before my bypass and can now quite easily drink 2 to 3 bottles of wine a night without even thinking about it even though I would never touch wine before hand. This is a demon i am having to battle now as I can see if I don't I'm going to be in big big trouble.

Please, please, please don't push it, it is far to soon for you to be trying booze of any kind and defiantly not on a empty stomach.

I've already said this before on the last thread you made when you'd had a few glasses of wine, but I'll say it again.

What the hell are you doing drinking alcohol so soon after surgery Kevin? Are you deliberately sabotaging yourself? Your pouch hasn't healed yet and you're already polluting it with booze.

Everything I've read about bypass says do not drink alcohol for the first 12 months. I can sort of understand how a social drinker might succumb to having the odd glass of wine after a few months when things have settled down a bit, although personally I wouldn't risk it. Alcohol isn't a big deal for me though. I can take it or leave it.

You didn't ''inadvertently'' drink nearly a full bottle btw. You chose to do it. If you want to throw your money away on a bypass then not follow the rules (onion bhaji and wine at 3 weeks post op) then that's up to you of course. But I think you need a good kick up the backside.

your judgement will be impaired after nearly a bottle of vino, whether you think it is or not. It's at times like that when we make crap food choices. Why take the risk?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but for someone who posts so many informative and useful links to wls stories, I'm amazed that you're going off plan so soon.

I am another who is shocked Kevin - BUT my provider gave NO guidelines re alcohol at all, I had to ask and was told that although addiction transfer is common and alcohol should be avoided as it would affect my weight loss, they didn't give a time limit as to when you could drink.

Its common sense though surely, and also why put yourself through this if you have no intention of changing your habits, its only a tool, it can AND DOES fail.....

Personally I waited 3 months which coincidentally was Christmas 2010, and by then every alcoholic drink I tried, tasted foul as it was that long since I had had it!

I'm not shocked, concerned, or worried about you at all Kevin. If you have actually had the surgery then it's your life and your success that you're messing with and I don't know you so frankly I couldn't give a toss what you do. I would question your motives for posting this rubbish here but then this isn't the first time I've seen contentious threads from you designed to generate a reaction

Well done you, great start Kevin, I'm sure you'll do just fine at this

Something else to remember Kevin. Anything you eat or drink travels through your system a heck of a lot quicker now that you've had the bypass. That means that the alcohol goes straight through to the liver, which will have to work overtime to cope with nearly a full bottle of wine.

kevin m8 i agree with everyone on here maybe its a little early to be drinking but your a grown man and no one can tell u what to do........... BUT if i were you i would consider why u had the operation in the first place u say that u dont drink at home then just dont drink when u go out i know its easier said than done im on 29 and still young ( well id like to think so) and all my friends go out pubbing and clubbing all the time i have been with them but just had a orange or pineapple juice i know it isnt ideal but the pros out weighs cons any day i hope this helps take everyones advice were only here to help you

regards

and i felt like a failure for grazing on celebrations over the course of today!!im like what an idiot for scoffing choccies (had 5 in total :( ) but it is time of the month and i know the whole box would have been gone if i was being a total idiot.

anyway im gonna put it behind me and not carry on this way and i think u should as well kevin. neither one of us should be proud of sabotaging ourselves

Karlos it appears you may have a good point.... Well said mate x

wow so judgemental people!! How about less sarcasm, less judgement and more support? There are ways to say things....

We're all here because we have foody issues. The brain doesnt just switch itself off after the op - if youve managed to live a perfect post op life, then well done you.

This type of reaction means people will be less likely to share their journeys/struggles in fear of being condemned - support people!!

wow so judgemental people!! How about less sarcasm, less judgement and more support? There are ways to say things....

We're all here because we have foody issues. The brain doesnt just switch itself off after the op - if youve managed to live a perfect post op life, then well done you.

This type of reaction means people will be less likely to share their journeys/struggles in fear of being condemned - support people!!

It's the second time that Kevin has posted about enjoying a drink post surgery, and on both occasions he's made it sound like it's fine to drink alcohol. If I am seriously messing up once I've had my bypass I don't want to come on here to hear people say ''oh it's ok. a little bit of what you fancy does you good'' etc etc. I want someone to give me the kick up the bum that I need. That's proper support.

However, I don't agree with the inference that Kevin posts links to news items with the intention of being deliberately inflammatory. I think those articles are very interesting to read and debate about.

I hear you Yorkie :) - Kevin made a silly choice, but honestly i think most of us have too before in some way or another?

I just think theres ways to say things is all

x

Sorry Deets but anyone still fresh from the surgeon's table posting about drinking a bottle of wine is not getting the kittens and rainbows approach from me. I take WLS surgery pretty seriously and though I'm far from perfect when I see someone taking this gift so trivially I think of those still waiting or those who deserve it but get refused, and well it kind of grips my wotsit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back