• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I have been naughty and been trying alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ihave checked everything with my provider as I am new to this! Yes you have your opinions but am I to take your opinion over the professionals?? We are told to try things and see how we get on.
I do NOT drink every day or even every week and chocolate cake isn't part of my normal diet it was a birthday and I tried a piece so shoot me!! I paid the price for that mistake BUT I am glad I done it as I now understand the term dumping!!
Why do you feel the need to judge and reprimand others?? Yes advise but just because you haven't done it does not make it wrong!!
I am quite disappointed with people's attitude on this thread! So much for people here to help and advise, this is a oh you have strayed from the path let's stone everyone of them!!

Ihave checked everything with my provider as I am new to this! Yes you have your opinions but am I to take your opinion over the professionals?? We are told to try things and see how we get on.
I do NOT drink every day or even every week and chocolate cake isn't part of my normal diet it was a birthday and I tried a piece so shoot me!! I paid the price for that mistake BUT I am glad I done it as I now understand the term dumping!!
Why do you feel the need to judge and reprimand others?? Yes advise but just because you haven't done it does not make it wrong!!
I am quite disappointed with people's attitude on this thread! So much for people here to help and advise, this is a oh you have strayed from the path let's stone everyone of them!!

I really don't care what you eat or drink. I am incredulous that your surgical team cleared you to eat chocolate cake and drink alcohol at less than two months out. Are you actually telling me that at less than 8 weeks they said you should try booze and cake?

It's not my "opinion" it's the instruction that I have been given by four different dieticians at three different hospitals who I have consulted with, And in two years of following WLS forums I've never in all that time heard any member claiming that their surgical team cleared this kind of behaviour so early out.

You're right its not wrong just because I haven't felt the need to drink booze or eat cake, its wrong because its not in your best interest to do so.

I'll bet you're not as disappointed with the attitude of the vast majority here who find it hard to agree with your need for alcohol and cake at two months out as we are that you did.

YES I am telling you that they said to try booze at less than 8 weeks and at my 6 week check up I was cleared to try ALL foods!!

The told me there are NO set rules about alcohol they advised me of the downfalls as I stated earlier, and advised me to try it at home first so not to spoil the special occasion!

As for the choc cake ~I knew I was pushing my luck and I dumped for the 1st time so again I do not regret this but yes I have learnt from it.

As for my NEED to drink there isnt a NEED, I WANTED to there is a HUGE difference, If I was told not to do it then I wouldnt have done it, I am not in the habit of going against my teams advise and I have not done this at all. Due to the many posts and advice here about it, I decided to speak to the professionals and let them advice me, but you say your team has advised you differently yet this is quite common with most of the wls. I had to do a milk diet for 4 weeks to lose 5% and then again for 2 weeks pre op yet the L &D are the only hospital to do this so again a difference in advice again, so NOT wrong just different.

Just because you havent heard of something or have been advised differently it does not give you the right to judge others!!

Careful hun they will ‘hang, draw and quarter’ you ! Though this link posted in an earlier thread is very interesting.

Why can't I have alcohol after my surgery?

xxx

Thanks Kevin they can try lol I have done nothing wrong! as for the link I cant see it for some reason my laptop wont play it :confused: can you tell me what it says or shows? xx

Just because you havent heard of something or have been advised differently it does not give you the right to judge others!!

I've heard some mildly conflicting advice yes but never on alcohol and cake.

You're right, I reckon being two years successfully post op losing 234 pounds and maintaining for 19 months by following the rules I was given might though ;) This is a public forum and we are all entitled to our opinion as long as it is within the boundaries of the forum rules. If you don't like mine then simply use the ignore member option.

Good luck with your journey

We have all of us at some point tried something, however i don't think many of us were stupid enough to try it so soon after surgery....

That and the title ''i've been naughty'' was an attention seeking title. If you throw **** at the fan, the **** hits the fan....

Saying that, there is nobody who doesn't wish anyone success in their weight loss journey, we just don't want to see them cock it up before their stitches are even out!

Karlos is a very successful wls patient, and as someone who is struggling because i've 'tried stuff i should maybe have not' so i'll take his advice. Surgeons, dieticians etc etc, go find me one wearing the t-shirt and a darn size smaller t-shirt than the one he was wearing 3 yrs ago and they'll get my full attention.....

I dont dislike what you post but I do dislike being judged and told I am WRONG when I am not! I took advice from my provider and that it was I posted and I have also posted my experiences!

Yes well done for losing the weight and maintaining and if you did this without eating or drinking anything wrong then good for you, ( I have not done anything wrong either) BUT just because people have/are doing things differently does not give you the right to judge and preach, that just causes a bad atmosphere and could be construed as bullying! which is definitely NOT within the forum rules!

I do not have a problem with anyones opinion even if they disagree with my opinion BUT I will always take the advice of my team over any advice given here and I will always share my opinion and advice but I do NOT judge anyone!!

Hi Julie

I enjoy the knowledge and advice given by long termers but as I sadi before judging people is NOT advice or knowledge.

Yes Karlos might be years down the line but he is not a surgeon and can not give medical advice about alcohol or cake etc so does not have the right to decide my team of professionals are wrong! he can advise and give his opinion but under no circumstances does he have the right to pass judgement on anyone here!

Due to the conflicting advice about the alcohol is why I phoned my team to ask about it in the first place, as I said earlier if I was told NO then that would be it I wouldnt be here offering my opinion and experiences.

Acting this way is only going to scare people so they wont post when they stray slightly or need advice they will be worried about this sort "advice"

I dont dislike what you post but I do dislike being judged and told I am WRONG when I am not! I took advice from my provider and that it was I posted and I have also posted my experiences!

Yes well done for losing the weight and maintaining and if you did this without eating or drinking anything wrong then good for you, ( I have not done anything wrong either) BUT just because people have/are doing things differently does not give you the right to judge and preach, that just causes a bad atmosphere and could be construed as bullying! which is definitely NOT within the forum rules!

I do not have a problem with anyones opinion even if they disagree with my opinion BUT I will always take the advice of my team over any advice given here and I will always share my opinion and advice but I do NOT judge anyone!!

If you think you're being bullied then please report this to the admin team. I wish you well with your journey and future and continued weight loss.

I said it could be construed as bullying, I can have an adult discussion and manage to to portray my feelings myself, but there are people on here not as strong as me and would take this to heart!

The link I am unable to open from Kevin I believe is a bariatric surgeon saying alcohol after 6 weeks is ok in moderation so now you have heard of it twice today xx

Advice is not consistent in the WLS world, far from it whether it is from surgical teams, dieticians or individuals who have experienced the event. Any researcher in any subject will tell you the same one days 'truth' is another days lie. As such we will all choose what we follow or see as right. 2 years down the line you will see how you do and then you may judge how good the advice was that you followed. Its up to you as an individual what advice you follow there is absolutely no need to get stressed about it in anyway as either a giver or a reader its all there to be digested it is not the 'law' for goodness sake. For me I would far rather take my chances with the advice of someone who has been there done that and won the battle than anyone else but thats me a professional medical researcher.

Its threads like this that make me want to scream for goodness sake get on with doing it your own way take advice where you will, none of it is gaurenteed and some of it is more grounded than others but it is all advice not copper plated blooming rules and regulations.

M

Well it's been a real conversation starter as this thread, i'm sure it's about ready for closure...

Frankly I think the very intention of this thread was to provoke an argument.
It's not my place to judge. All I can say is that like most people here I'm sure, I've struggled with making bad choices around food for decades. I see this surgery as a chance to finally get some control over my diet. I know I'll be tempted to try chocolate, have a drink, eat bread etc etc. I might even do it although I hope not. But if I do mess up I won't be coming here and making out it's a good thing. I'll be posting about it and asking for support and guidance. And that includes people telling me the truth.
At the support group last week, the subject of alcohol came up. The nurse reiterated that they reccommend a year without it, but also said he understands that people want a life. Like many lifestyle changes they can only make suggestions to you and hope you stick to them. I just think it's a shame when people dip back into their old habits so soon, and then convince themselves that it's ok. Doesn't mean I'm judging them. I just wish they could see what they are saying.

I wonder why Kevin has not been back to comment on all of this? Very strange!

Maybe he is either very upset (I hope not) or sitting laughing at the controversy he has started??

I hope he is ok anyway. I have found all of this very useful and interesting.

x

Drink is the root Of all evil if this thread is anything to go by.... I asked the question and I got told we all have a life it's not a good choice but we understand people do want to have a drink .... I was advised if j wad to partake to have half water half wine lol that's before I got my lft's back before i even purchased a very small bottle of wine I got told no booze for good lol sk no prob here on that front xxx

Frankly I think the very intention of this thread was to provoke an argument.
It's not my place to judge. All I can say is that like most people here I'm sure, I've struggled with making bad choices around food for decades. I see this surgery as a chance to finally get some control over my diet. I know I'll be tempted to try chocolate, have a drink, eat bread etc etc. I might even do it although I hope not. But if I do mess up I won't be coming here and making out it's a good thing. I'll be posting about it and asking for support and guidance. And that includes people telling me the truth.
At the support group last week, the subject of alcohol came up. The nurse reiterated that they reccommend a year without it, but also said he understands that people want a life. Like many lifestyle changes they can only make suggestions to you and hope you stick to them. I just think it's a shame when people dip back into their old habits so soon, and then convince themselves that it's ok. Doesn't mean I'm judging them. I just wish they could see what they are saying.

I dont think it was to provoke an argument I think it was a guilty secret he wanted to relieve himself of lol,

Trying new foods and going back to "normal" like eating bread etc ist messing up its the start of a new lifestyle
my dietician told me we are not on a diet anymore but we need to change our eating habits, this is a life change and the start of our new eating plan. The bypass is a great tool as I was a volume eater and this has now stopped me doing that, and should I have too much it is quick to remind me!!

Drink is the root Of all evil if this thread is anything to go by.... I asked the question and I got told we all have a life it's not a good choice but we understand people do want to have a drink .... I was advised if j wad to partake to have half water half wine lol that's before I got my lft's back before i even purchased a very small bottle of wine I got told no booze for good lol sk no prob here on that front xxx

Yes I was advised to water it down at first to and if that was ok then to try without and that was ok too.

If I was drinking on a regular basis then I would get worried about addiction transfer etc but the odd glass shouldnt be a problem xx

crikey,this thread has got some people riled:eek:
i had my op,11 weeks ago tomorrow & at the moment,i am on holiday in turkey,now tomorrow night,i was going to try a vodka,with some sort of sugar free juice,but this thread,has certainly put me off.i was certainly not going to,have a few,maybe just 1.i am actually a manager,of a pub at home & have been for the past 11 years & i never touch a drop,the only time i drink,is on holiday,which is why i thought i would try one tomorrow,as you can see,we are definately not party animals,we have stayed in tonight,just chillin.
would 1 really hurt? i had my op privately & my provider recommended 13 weeks,but these recommendations,don't seem to be set in stone i.e i was on liquids for 4 weeks,then mushy for 4 weeks,some people only do,these stages for 2 weeks,there are certainly alot of different recommendations,which one is right?
who knows?
anyway you have all gave me food for thought & i shall probably stay away,from that vodka,any other time,i only drink cocktails on holiday,usually the creamy based ones,so at least i know,these have never even entered my head to try,especially a fish bowl one;)
tracy x

Think a deep breath is needed and a line to be drawn under it all .... Only my opinion hope it doesn't upset or offend anyone xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back