• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I have been naughty and been trying alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Kevin knows why he posted this but in my humble opinion as this is on the chit chat section he was doing just that, letting us know.

I dont see anywhere in his post that he was asking for advice or support - I could be wrong.

Also Im sure Kevin would admit he is an advocate of doing the right thing post op which is probably why people have been shocked by this post.

What I'm worried about is Kevin hasn't replied yet yes I agree he shouldn't have done it and I'm pretty sure he won't be doing it again ( in my opinion kev its stupid to drink after only a month) but were all not perfect and all different......... i agree with saying how it is I just hope th!t kev feels like he can come back on here and voice his opinion as we need to remember we are a family I think that the thread I did 2day will come in useful it say how are all feeling 2day
Xx

Well I know after waiting and fighting for wls over two and a half years,there is no way I would be drinking so soon!Your surgeon would be appalled Im sure.
That being said you now need to get your head in the right place and concentrate on eating and drinking as you have been advised otherwise you are going to have problems in the future either by having a problem shifting the weight or having drink related problems.Also you have lots of support on here but it will fall away if you blatantly abuse this gift you have been given while others are being turned down.Maz x

i kinda agree with everyone ,and thats def not like me ,no fence sitter here! , but like some one said ,its support we should be giving ,if we all were so good with our choices over the past ,most of us wouldnt be here struggling with our weight,havin said that,i know i wont drink as i want to make the most of my surgery and create a healthier life for myself,we all talk about discrimenation and judgement against big/obese/fat people and we all jumped on someone for drinking what we feel is excess,? just seems wrong,maybe its me ,im glad it was posted and that we can all discuss it though,great forum,just to throw a spanner in the works , i believe kevin paid for his op,maybe its different for us who have no choice but to go the nhs route,? just a topic of conversation,not my view,,,,just a thought ,

i kinda agree with everyone ,and thats def not like me ,no fence sitter here! , but like some one said ,its support we should be giving ,if we all were so good with our choices over the past ,most of us wouldnt be here struggling with our weight,havin said that,i know i wont drink as i want to make the most of my surgery and create a healthier life for myself,we all talk about discrimenation and judgement against big/obese/fat people and we all jumped on someone for drinking what we feel is excess,? just seems wrong,maybe its me ,im glad it was posted and that we can all discuss it though,great forum,just to throw a spanner in the works , i believe kevin paid for his op,maybe its different for us who have no choice but to go the nhs route,? just a topic of conversation,not my view,,,,just a thought ,

You miss the point. It’s irrelevant whether Kevin paid for his operation or not, he has the gift of a new start, a chance of a healthy and better life. To abuse that chance before the wounds have healed whether he paid for it or not is just wrong. Those pre ops who can’t afford to pay and have to go through the postcode lottery that is qualification would be gutted reading his thread and seeing someone pay scant respect for their newly modified guts, and the chance of a new life. Yes most of us failed to make the right food choices pre op that is why we ended up here, however most of us have used the chance we were given or paid for to stop making those bad choices post op.

There is a huge difference in the discrimination and prejudicial judgement of the obese by normal sized people and the criticism of such a seemingly stupid act by those who have been in the same situation. Most surgeons will say no booze for six months, some will say a year, and mine said if you can do without it at all then do so. If you want to go against the advice of your surgical team then great, good for you, you get on and do it. Like I said it’s your life.

This might be a “support” forum but support takes many forms. If someone makes a genuine one off mistake, then ok maybe the kittens and rainbows approach is the right one to take, but when someone who has seemingly done all the research, knows what’s acceptable and what’s not, then despite that drinks a shed load of booze twice while on the liquid/pureed stage, then I’m sorry but my tolerance for that kind of behaviour is at ground zero. Sometimes you have to say no that is just wrong and you should stop.

Have a great day

actually i dont miss the point Karlos,just think,in my opinion, theres a point between rudeness and the "kitten and rainbow aproach ,but as i said ,i was throwing a spanner in for debating purposes,passion is good!, and you have a great day too x

This is a tough one, and it's taken me a while to figure out where I stand on this. What is perhaps missing from Kevin's post, is regret. When I read it again, I have the impression that he is almost pleased with his achievement of downing the red wine and it having no effect on him. That's what is disturbing me.

We all have to remember that we are human beings, and we make mistakes. I am the last one to preach to anyone else about them making a mistake! And I don't for one second assume that there is any one member on this forum who has ALWAYS done EVERYTHING by the book. I simply don't believe that. Then again it doesn't sound like Kevin thinks he made a mistake. That's the problem here.

Also, I want to say that of course I am grateful for my surgery on the NHS, VERY grateful, but that doesn't mean I find it easy to always stick to the rules 100%. I too have had a sip of alcohol about 2 months out (literally just a sip, not a glass full), and the odd sip of wine with a meal every now and then (once a month perhaps) and I am only 5 months out. That does NOT mean I am not appreciative of my surgery!! or reckless with my diet!! Implementing new habits when it comes to food is difficult (for me) and I slip up! Simple as that.

So, Kevin, if you think it's OK to have quite a lot of alcohol early on and perhaps on a regular basis (you didn't say whether this was a one off or whether you intend on having more alcohol regularly), then I do feel sorry for you because you're not doing your body any favours. However if you regret having had this amount of alcohol and realise this isn't such a good idea this early on, then all is well and I'm sure you'll learn from past experience.

Not really sure how I feel about this one but am quite intriqued by the responses. I am a nurse and part of my job involves trying to help people lead healthier lives (I know ironic). Anyway! I have learned in this time that you can only help people by being non-judgemental, giving them the hard facts and knowlege and by being supportive of them. Even if you think they are being bloody idiots a judgemental attitude only causes people to run and hide and to do things in secret. Which dosnt help anyone.

I think that we can be honest with our opinions and dissagree with peoples chioces without pushing them away. At the end of the day people have the right to make their own choices about their lives. If those choices are informed and still foolish then who are we to judge so harshly?

Does anyone remember a member who was recently post op saying she'd eaten a chocolate bar? Or 1/2 a bar to be correct? She was slated and told how wrong it was, then it turned out that she was unable to keep anything down but the chocolate was a last resort to get something in her.... See now that i can understand because i like to eat when i'm hungry and not know i'm not gonna barf it up....

But as i said before to go out and drink a bottle of wine without realising it one month post op was wrong! I'm sorry if this causes offence but please note the disclaimer below:

This is not the opinion of the group, this is the opinion of a fat bird trying to get thin, fighting the demons that are food which we need to live, but living quite easily without alcohol as i don't need it :)

Have a good day one and all... And for the record it will be nice to see a reply from Kevin and also to have him back posting. He does find some interesting titbits xx

kevin i gotta ask now are u scared to reply i noticed you have replied on other posts please come back with something as u have split the wls family we need to know how u feel about the posts on this page

Has he posted? He doesn't normally post on weekends.
Lynne x

I'm resisting from saying he will post when he gets back from the pub...

I must say it is nice to see some new faces posting, now you've done it once folks try it again, it's addictive lol xx

Kevin, I too have tried alcohol BUT I did ask my provider and I put on here what they said, I was told it would NOT harm me (my pouch or plumbing) but I was told to be careful as it could cause dumping (it didnt) also it would/could effect me quicker (it sure did lol) but I watered down my white wine first that went down ok so the next week at another bbq I tried it without watering it down and that was fine too, (the chocolate birthday cake wasnt :cry: )

My provider also says to try fizzy drink 8-10 weeks but these need to be tried with care and are under caution foods but they dont say to stay away from them. I havent tried them yet as I dont drink fizzy drinks unless its lemonade mixed with vodka :D

I do not drink at home either and will drink a glass or 2 to be sociable as with everything with wls everything in moderation

Lots of people say the norm is 12 months but this isnt the case with my provider and yes there is a danger of addiction etc but you are a grown up and hopefully know what you are doing, a few glasses of wine wont hurt as long as you know how it effects you.

I have found that alcohol can affect you differently each time you have so don't be fooled into thinking that just because you've had it once and you were ok you will be ok again. There is no rhyme or reason or pattern to it. I have found that it makes no difference whether i have eaten before hand or not. I am ok with certain fizzy drinks but not with fizzy pop. And transfer addiction is not as simple as I know what I'm doing so I can stop - if addictions were that easy then most of us wouldn't have a weight issue.

Kevin, I too have tried alcohol BUT I did ask my provider and I put on here what they said, I was told it would NOT harm me (my pouch or plumbing) but I was told to be careful as it could cause dumping (it didnt) also it would/could effect me quicker (it sure did lol) but I watered down my white wine first that went down ok so the next week at another bbq I tried it without watering it down and that was fine too, (the chocolate birthday cake wasnt :cry: )

My provider also says to try fizzy drink 8-10 weeks but these need to be tried with care and are under caution foods but they dont say to stay away from them. I havent tried them yet as I dont drink fizzy drinks unless its lemonade mixed with vodka :D

I do not drink at home either and will drink a glass or 2 to be sociable as with everything with wls everything in moderation

Lots of people say the norm is 12 months but this isnt the case with my provider and yes there is a danger of addiction etc but you are a grown up and hopefully know what you are doing, a few glasses of wine wont hurt as long as you know how it effects you.

Careful hun they will ‘hang, draw and quarter’ you ! Though this link posted in an earlier thread is very interesting.

Why can't I have alcohol after my surgery?

xxx

So less than two months out you've done alcohol and chocolate cake, I reckon you have nothing to worry about, you have this WLS thing well sorted, great job so far x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back