• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm worried about my calorie intake.

simplylucy

I know we're not ment to worry about calories but I'm getting a little concerned about the amount I can eat.

I'm currently getting about 300 - 500 calories a day. Some days I'm really struggling to get 300 in.

I'm 5 weeks post-op now.

For tea last night I made a beef stew. I managed about 6 teaspoon fulls and there was small 2 chunks of meat in that. I felt stuffed and couldn't manage another thing.

For breakfast today I've had half a slice of toast (crusts removed) and a tiny scraping of low fat marg. Again I'm stuffed, couldn't manage the other half.

If I have yoghurt or custard (really runny) I can only manage about 4-6 teaspoon fulls. So it's not just the thicker foods I'm struggling with.

I wonder how long my body can go on with less than 500 calories?

I've been in ketosis since my pre-op diet, (had some sticks left over since Cambridge days so was doing a weekly test out of interest).

I'm really being to worry that I'm doing my body more harm that good.

Hi Lucy,

I wouldnt worry at the mo because at the beginning I was not eating loads and found it hard to get things in.

Could you try and have a few protein snacks, like babybel or the odd slice of ham.

I know we are not supposed to snack loads, but if you are concerned that may be the way of getting more in.

I would also talk to your dietician they can be really helpful.

Don't worry about calories just now. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and eating little and often. Try and do as much protein as you can. Beef stew is all good!

The time to look at calorie intake is when you are back on solid food and eating 'normally'. Not taking on enough calories then means weight loss stall. I am living testament to that!

All the best! x

Definitely speak to your dietician but one thing that sticks out to me is the toast, you'd be better with butter or peanut butter on It or a milky cereal like porridge or weetabix xx

Back