• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is there anyone else a RNY not worked ?

catapult

I went from a band to RNY By-Pass and it has failed for a second time.

I was worned that there may not be as much restriction after having a band converted to a bypass but that it should still work.

I have found that after a couple of weeks the connection between new stomach pouch and intestine has streched so big I could get a tennis ball through it. And before anyone says anything about over eating I was on liquids and pureed and it still happened!!

I am very dispondant and worried because I paid for all my weight loss surgery myself and they didn't even do the 'nip back in and tighten the connection up' on the package I paid for (£12k). They did it on the NHS because they hadn't done anything wrong!!!

I want them to fix it properly, even if this means putting a fobi ring in but I can tell that just from their attitude last time they won't do it on the NHS this time and will expect me to pay again.

I simply can't afford it and I know I will just gain all the weight I have lost and be no better off either health or economicly.

Sorry about the moan I'm just soo pissed off about it.

Carol

I don't know how far out you are but want to let you know I didn't feel restriction with my bypass until I was on solids.

Oh my you have been through the mill hope you manage to get something sorted soon. Hugs xx

Thank you ladies.

I just need to moan now and then. My husband is getting at me and is annouyed because he can see I am eating normaly (even he knows I should only be a ble to eat small amounts) and because we have paid out so much for this operation he is even worse.

The consultant seems to be reluctant to do anything further about it but hopefully I can ask him about the fobi ring at the end of this week :) It is about the only thing keeping me from screaming at the moment lol

I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else yet which means either I am the trail blazer for sods law "we've found a brand new problem" or, as I have always suspected, if it is perfectly adequate for 99.99% of the population it will be me that is the 0.01% .

Carol

It's not about what you can eat, it's about what and how much you choose to eat. The RNY works in two ways, restriction and mal-absorption, so even if you don't feel the restriction you can still achieve fantastic results from the limited amount of calorific value absorbed by your smaller intestinal tract.

I never felt restriction in the first two years post op. Not because my pouch was too big, simply because I measured out the correct sized portion of food and only ate that amount each meal, I never ate to restriction and achieved fairly good results. Or you can carry on shoving as much down your neck as you can and moaning about it not working for you

It's not about what you can eat, it's about what and how much you choose to eat. The RNY works in two ways, restriction and mal-absorption, so even if you don't feel the restriction you can still achieve fantastic results from the limited amount of calorific value absorbed by your smaller intestinal tract.

I never felt restriction in the first two years post op. Not because my pouch was too big, simply because I measured out the correct sized portion of food and only ate that amount each meal, I never ate to restriction and achieved fairly good results. Or you can carry on shoving as much down your neck as you can and moaning about it not working for you

Karlos,

Thank you for your reply.

Tell me how come, if you didn't feel any restriction within the first two years, you managed to measure out all your food portions? Because to be honest if I could have done that I wouldn't have been in the situation of needing weightloss surgery. I would have been on a normal, every day diet and it would have worked!

Other than the mal-absorbtion, which I have been led to believe lasts generaly up to about 2yrs post op, I am glad that for you measuring your food has been the way to weight loss.

Carol

Oh My !!!!!

I too am one of life's 0.01% sort of person. I have a band at the moment, which is working just fine, and I've lost just on about 5 stone with it, which I am really pleased with, but as the port is nothing but problems for me it's going in May to a bypass.

I have great restriction at the moment which I hope that I keep with the bypass, one of my questions to my surgeon.

Am keeping fingers, toes and just about everything else crossed that nothing goes wrong this time :eek:

Oh My !!!!!

I too am one of life's 0.01% sort of person. I have a band at the moment, which is working just fine, and I've lost just on about 5 stone with it, which I am really pleased with, but as the port is nothing but problems for me it's going in May to a bypass.

I have great restriction at the moment which I hope that I keep with the bypass, one of my questions to my surgeon.

Am keeping fingers, toes and just about everything else crossed that nothing goes wrong this time :eek:

Hi Jemima,

I think I've posted on one of your threads before about a fobi ring.

I would definately ask them what will happen if it ends up like mine? What can/will they do :( and if they could fit a fobi ring now.

I didn't ask simply because I didn't want to be seen as defeatist or causing trouble but with hind sight it is worth asking.

Is yours self funded or NHS? When are you having it done?

Mine is self funded and I'm having done in May. I have already had 2 procedures on my port, you have to pay each time. Luckily enough I can afford it, and I'm worth it as they say.

I thought that there was only one surgeon in the UK that uses the Fobi ring, that he was Belgian and somewhere on the south coast.

Ultimately the size of my backside is directly related to the quality and quantity of food that I shovel in my mouth. I have had great results on the band, and am only replacing it due to port issues that I am having.

It may be only 5 stone in comparison with others this isn't loads, and I only have about another half a stone to go to get to target and it's taken me longer than others. But this round of weight loss has been a reality check, I have done countless diets in the past and been 100% good all of the time. For me that doesn't work. This time I am 95% good and this is a reality for me that I can stay with now and I hope in the future as it works for me.

WLS for me has been a tool, a reminder and an incentive to lost weight and get my diabetes under control. It isn't a cure. Try and find a councellor that can help you with your appetite and eating habits, for me it has been as important as my surgeon's part in the process.

My incentive now is to stay in the size 8 knickers that I have bought on holiday :rolleyes:

The Belgian works in Southampton and I am seeing him on Thursday. Mind you I can't afford to pay for any more surgery so am only going on a consultation basis to see what can be done. That alone is £125 :( Then I'll ask my consultant what he thinks.

I saw them both on the same telly programme last month lol

I had my sleeve surgery with Fobi ring at outset done by Michael van den Bossche at the Spire Southampton. I have a follow up appointment with him this Thursday too. I had the Fobi at outset as I was concerned about the possibility of losing restriction long term and putting weight back on. I highly recommend him but beware......he calls a spade a spade! lol

Thats the man JoJotgirl :)

I can cope with spades lol it's just the costs that I c an't do anything about at the moment.

If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you?

£10,500 (additional £500 for the fobi). I thought my gumph had revision surgery listed with prices but it doesn't seem to. Spire only offer inclusive care pa ckages though and then Michael adds £500 for the fobi which he supplies as he lives on the Channel Islands and sources it from Belgium import tax free! lol

What time is your appointment? Mine is the last one I think. Or perhaps it was the latest they had left? mine is 5.30pm as it will take me a while to get there as I have to pick the kids up from school first.

Karlos,

Thank you for your reply.

Tell me how come, if you didn't feel any restriction within the first two years, you managed to measure out all your food portions? Because to be honest if I could have done that I wouldn't have been in the situation of needing weightloss surgery. I would have been on a normal, every day diet and it would have worked!

Other than the mal-absorbtion, which I have been led to believe lasts generaly up to about 2yrs post op, I am glad that for you measuring your food has been the way to weight loss.

Carol

I was nearly thirty stone pre-op so the wires if you like that send the "I'm full stop eating" messages to the brain were cut off by my obesity and they never truly reconnected so I never felt full. Concerned about the possibility of over eating and eventually stretching my pouch I spoke to my NUT about it, she told me to get a small bowl and fill it two thirds full with food that was high in protein which should be eaten first, and only once it had gone in should I eat carbs. I simply followed this advice and once the bowl was empty I stopped eating. I never ate to restriction simply used the bypass as a tool to take the grind out of a portion controlled diet.

I was nearly thirty stone pre-op so the wires if you like that send the "I'm full stop eating" messages to the brain were cut off by my obesity and they never truly reconnected so I never felt full. Concerned about the possibility of over eating and eventually stretching my pouch I spoke to my NUT about it, she told me to get a small bowl and fill it two thirds full with food that was high in protein which should be eaten first, and only once it had gone in should I eat carbs. I simply followed this advice and once the bowl was empty I stopped eating. I never ate to restriction simply used the bypass as a tool to take the grind out of a portion controlled diet.

very interesting about the brain signals although im currently banded i struggle with reading the signals of fullness having always gone thinking total bloatedness was fullup if im lucky enough to get bypassed i will keep this in mind.

What time is your appointment? Mine is the last one I think. Or perhaps it was the latest they had left? mine is 5.30pm as it will take me a while to get there as I have to pick the kids up from school first.

Hahaha....a £500 cable tie is exactly what it is!!! My apt is early - 9.45 so I can take my kids to school and go straight there.......I live in Southampton anyway, which was another factor in choosing Mr VdB as my surgeon.
Good luck on Thursday, hope he thinks he can help.

Back