• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

just committed my self :)

Hi Jojo

Sorry to be nosey but I have just read what a fobi ring is and stretching is something I am massively worried about.

Can I ask what made you go down that road? I'm also having mine done at Southampton but with mr Kelly. I want to,ask him if he can do it and what the extra cost might be. Can I be really nosey and ask how much it cost with spire?

Sorry to be a pain :D

Good luck with your sleeve x

It's a very expensive medical grade cable tie (certainly looks like one anyway!) Goes on the outside of the sleeve so that in years to come if the sleeve stretches, there will always be a permanent restriction in the middle of it to the size of the sleeve at outset. Used in bypass revision where people have stretched their pouches and getting more popular. Only UK surgeon to use it is based at Spire Southampton. I decided that, as I have always been very overweight and by my own admission a complete "addict", future regain would be a real possibility for me and I couldn't stand the thought of going through all that and stuffing it up in a few years time. Best case scenario is that I will do very well by myself, but I see it as insurance. lol

Hi Jojo

Sorry to be nosey but I have just read what a fobi ring is and stretching is something I am massively worried about.

Can I ask what made you go down that road? I'm also having mine done at Southampton but with mr Kelly. I want to,ask him if he can do it and what the extra cost might be. Can I be really nosey and ask how much it cost with spire?

Sorry to be a pain :D

Good luck with your sleeve x

Sorry - missed this a minute ago. Michael Van den Bossche at the Spire is the only UK surgeon using the ring (although it is routinely used in other countries). Having the ring adds £500 to the price of the Spires inclusive care package for the Sleeve (£10k). I don't remember how much Nuffield quoted me without the ring but being local and having read up about it and Mr VDB beforehand I decided it was a must for me.

Thanks Jojo for all the info. I did try and message you but it wouldn't let me.

I had no idea about the ring, and I must admit to feeling a lot like you when it comes to the 'addict' side of food.

Pouch stretch has been a concern of mine from the minute I researched what path to go down. I know some people may see that as a defeatist attitude on my behalf but I think I am being a realist. I want to know all the options, and if an extra 'failsafe' is available I'd like to have it now and not worry about the possibility of a stretch and subsequent revision surgery.

Thanks for everything :)

WLS members need to have notched up 50 posts to be able to send and receive PM's (private messages). At the time of writing it looks like JoJo only has 32 which is probably why you were not able to send the message.

I had no idea about the ring, and I must admit to feeling a lot like you when it comes to the 'addict' side of food.

Pouch stretch has been a concern of mine from the minute I researched what path to go down. I know some people may see that as a defeatist attitude on my behalf but I think I am being a realist. I want to know all the options, and if an extra 'failsafe' is available I'd like to have it now and not worry about the possibility of a stretch and subsequent revision surgery.

Thanks for everything :)

I don't think its defeatist. People like us must have a problem or we wouldn't be in this situation and being honest with yourself is the biggest step I think. I went through a genuine sugar withdrawal when I started my prep diet (headaches, shakes, clammy etc) for 3 days. Sugar is my biggest problem and although I haven't had any at this stae, I know its not something I can 100% live without forever. I am going to try everything in my power to beocme a "normal" eater............evrything in moderation but mainly healthy food in the long term but this way it won't be possible for my portion sizes (also a problem for me) to creep up over time. Doing this is a massive thing for me............for years I dismissed it out of hand but I'm 40 this year and know it would only have been a matter of time before high blood pressure, diabetes and mobility problems catch up with me. When I accepted that I was completely out of control and failed time and time again to get it back the decision almost made itself, but like you said, I'm a realist and I needed to ensure that physically (and pyscologically to some extent I think) I could insure the hard work. Have you already committed to The Nuffield???

Welcome Kim & good luck with your choice - I had my sleeve done in October, and it was the best thing I have ever done for my health.

Nice DJ by the way - you'll be dropping that off at an Oxfam/Mind/XYZ Charity shop before too long (.....and all of the rest of your clothes in due course), and be buying a slim fit one for the next festive season!!

Nice DJ by the way - you'll be dropping that off at an Oxfam/Mind/XYZ Charity shop before too long (.....and all of the rest of your clothes in due course), and be buying a slim fit one for the next festive season!!

Thanks Localizer, that's exactly what I'm hoping for!!!:D

I will look like James Bond one day haha.:rolleyes:

Good luck

I don't think its defeatist. People like us must have a problem or we wouldn't be in this situation and being honest with yourself is the biggest step I think. I went through a genuine sugar withdrawal when I started my prep diet (headaches, shakes, clammy etc) for 3 days. Sugar is my biggest problem and although I haven't had any at this stae, I know its not something I can 100% live without forever. I am going to try everything in my power to beocme a "normal" eater............evrything in moderation but mainly healthy food in the long term but this way it won't be possible for my portion sizes (also a problem for me) to creep up over time. Doing this is a massive thing for me............for years I dismissed it out of hand but I'm 40 this year and know it would only have been a matter of time before high blood pressure, diabetes and mobility problems catch up with me. When I accepted that I was completely out of control and failed time and time again to get it back the decision almost made itself, but like you said, I'm a realist and I needed to ensure that physically (and pyscologically to some extent I think) I could insure the hard work. Have you already committed to The Nuffield???

Thanks Jojo, that level of honesty is exactly what I need to have with myself. My suger/sweet intake has always been huge - in fact I am pre diabetic. And as for portion control; forget it! Like you, and I think many others, I have failed time and time again to to self moderate and diet with little or no success.

I have been feeling clammy and on the pre-op diet - I even feinted yesterday after walking the dog :(.

I have paid a deposit to the Nuffield, but I am more concerned wiht having the right surgery for me- and I think the ring offers more to me. It offers another tool to an issue I had been pushing to the back of my mind since I started researching the operations available.

Thanks again :)

I'm a sugar lover too, so weekday i have found to work best for me is sugar free popsicles. We can have add menu add we want and they count towards fluids intake. I had sleeve done on December 27 and am losing everyday. Splenda had been my sugar substitute and that to me is closest thing to sugar for me with no after taste. I can honestly say the cravings for sweets are handled with popsicles and they have not been huge. I hope this helps. Should not be an issue at all.

Sent from my M886 using WLSurgery

Back