• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just joined - north east

nicnakmac

Hello I have just this minute joined and I'm after some advice hopefully from anyone who had wls in Sunderland? I have been referred by my gp and have a seminar starting at 5.30 9th December and then it looks like an appointment at 7.15. What is normal procedure and waiting times? Thank you

hello and a warm welcome nicnakmac
I cant help with your questions but I do see many on here from your part of the world, whom I'm very sure will swing by soon and be able to help in the meantime I wish you the very best

Hi welcome to the forum.
I had my operation in Sunderland on the 11th of August this year, I am not the best example of the normal timescale though I took 23 months from seminar to operation for various reasons including a 6 month delay at my request, I think it will depend on your own circumstances,

Ah thank you for your replies much appreciated. I'm losing weight at the minute and will probably be below my bmi range allowed for surgery by time seminar comes around and I'm worried they will reject me is that a possibility or will they look at my start weight still? I also am waiting for a sleep study to see if I have sleep apnoea which I think is a high chance. Thanks again

I can't seem to see my reply so sorry if it turns up and this is duplicate. Thank u very much for your replies it's much appreciated. I am currently 272lbs bmi 41.5 but I'm steadily losing weight and will be below the 40 bmi by time I get to seminar. Will this go against me? I am waiting for a sleep study as my husband thinks I have sleep apnoea so dr had put an appointment in. If that comes back as a yes then I'm hoping they will accept the bmi at around 35. Thanks again

Hi and welcome I'm with Sunderland haven't had my surgery yet I have my endoscopy on Tuesday and they will also put me on surgery list that day too and surgery will be within four weeks my seminar was March so my journey hasn't been that long but like loving the loop said it all depends on personal circumstances xx

Hello thank you soo much for your replies. I made two replies on iPhone and they didn't show up? So trying this way to see if this lets me respond. I have a current bmi of 42. I'm 277lbs. I am losing steadily and by time December comes I will be below 40. Even tho dr letter referred me as bmi 42.5 or near that. Will that stop me being considered for wls? I am also being sent for a sleep study for suspected sleep apnoea. As awful as this sounds I hope I do have it so my bmi can be as low as 35 and still be considered. It is purely weight related so I know it's not a permanent illness in my case if I get the surgery. Thanks again x

Hello thank you soo much for your replies. I made two replies on iPhone and they didn't show up? So trying this way to see if this lets me respond. I have a current bmi of 42. I'm 277lbs. I am losing steadily and by time December comes I will be below 40. Even tho dr letter referred me as bmi 42.5 or near that. Will that stop me being considered for wls? I am also being sent for a sleep study for suspected sleep apnoea. As awful as this sounds I hope I do have it so my bmi can be as low as 35 and still be considered. It is purely weight related so I know it's not a permanent illness in my case if I get the surgery. Thanks again x

My bmi at referral was 42 now it's about 37 they are still willing to give me the op I also had sleep study which came back all clear was a shock as I thought I would have it my last appointment was with surgeon and he said not to worry about anymore weigh loss as my bmi was low enough xx

That is very reassuring thank you. I have been following weight watchers. I'm able to go as low as 16st doing that but maintaining or getting below that is a whole other issue. I have tried all sorts of diets and have been seeing a wellness coach through gp and also a mental health charity where I have been doing courses on mindfulness and confidence etc. I have a psychiatrist and a community psychiatric nurse also who have agreed to write supporting letter saying my weight affects my mental health. I feel I have exhausted quite a few avenues in the weight loss field but my health is really starting to struggle under the weight. I have three children two are 3 and 5 and a 13 year old and have my tubes tied now after two sections and major bowel surgery. Do I get a choice of options? As I really feel the sleeve would be the best with me.

That is very reassuring thank you. I have been following weight watchers. I'm able to go as low as 16st doing that but maintaining or getting below that is a whole other issue. I have tried all sorts of diets and have been seeing a wellness coach through gp and also a mental health charity where I have been doing courses on mindfulness and confidence etc. I have a psychiatrist and a community psychiatric nurse also who have agreed to write supporting letter saying my weight affects my mental health. I feel I have exhausted quite a few avenues in the weight loss field but my health is really starting to struggle under the weight. I have three children two are 3 and 5 and a 13 year old and have my tubes tied now after two sections and major bowel surgery. Do I get a choice of options? As I really feel the sleeve would be the best with me.

Sounds like you've done enough to be accepted but in regards to your health reasons I'm unsure of it will depend on your own Health problems as to wether they will give you the surgery I was getting tested for crohns just before I started my journey so researched if people with it had the surgery and some have n some haven't so I just think it all depends on each individual xx

Thank u for reply. I lost 4.5lb last week. I have stuck to plan this week so hope to get my half stone award. I swim three times a week and walk everywhere. I do not drive so school runs are by foot and it's a half hour round trip every day. I am too cumbersome for gym although I do have member ship. I also have quite bad asthma that's got progressively worse the heavier I got so now take medication for that and I'm on pain killers for hip impingement which is made worse by heavy weight. My gp has on notes about my feet becoming very stiff and painful especially on the morning but this is linked to weight on them not arthritis or anything. What I'm worried about is I'm 34 by time my seminar comes around but I have only been morbidly obese about 6 years. I was very slim in my twenties size 8-10. I'm now 22-24 but my waist is 127cm now. So passed the 80cm guidelines quite considerably. I just worry incase they say I've not had issues for long enough.

Thank u for reply. I lost 4.5lb last week. I have stuck to plan this week so hope to get my half stone award. I swim three times a week and walk everywhere. I do not drive so school runs are by foot and it's a half hour round trip every day. I am too cumbersome for gym although I do have member ship. I also have quite bad asthma that's got progressively worse the heavier I got so now take medication for that and I'm on pain killers for hip impingement which is made worse by heavy weight. My gp has on notes about my feet becoming very stiff and painful especially on the morning but this is linked to weight on them not arthritis or anything. What I'm worried about is I'm 34 by time my seminar comes around but I have only been morbidly obese about 6 years. I was very slim in my twenties size 8-10. I'm now 22-24 but my waist is 127cm now. So passed the 80cm guidelines quite considerably. I just worry incase they say I've not had issues for long enough.

Well done on the weight loss such a great loss I waited for seminar before I started loosing weight as its your weight at seminar that they go by and I didn't want to go under a bmi of 40 and not qualify as I had no co-mobs just a bad back and I'm nearly at the end so try not to worry if you fit the guidelines and your health isn't going to be an issue you should be ok xx

Oh wow thank you soo soo much for that vital piece of information. I will stop my weight loss as I will be probably under 40 then by Dec of I keep going as I am. My letter from choose and book said I have to attend seminar for 5.30 at bottom but I have a time for appointment at 7.15? Does that mean I will be getting to see someone personally? Thanks again

Oh wow thank you soo soo much for that vital piece of information. I will stop my weight loss as I will be probably under 40 then by Dec of I keep going as I am. My letter from choose and book said I have to attend seminar for 5.30 at bottom but I have a time for appointment at 7.15? Does that mean I will be getting to see someone personally? Thanks again
Usually at seminar it's just a group session a surgeon nurse and dietician will chat about all the different procedures you can tell them at the end if you want to go a head but can ring up and let them know if you need to have a think my seminar was also at 5.30 but I'm not sure about the other 7.15 bit after your seminar you should get an appointment with nurse and dietician in the post that's when they will set you a weight loss target xx

Can I ask about the psychological testing part? I have a community psychiatric nurse. I'm classed as medicated but stable and he supports my choice and will write a supporting letter. I don't see my psychiatrist as I'm on the right meds so she happy to leave me in my cpn's care but still I'm so I'm terrified that I will fail psychological testing. I'm excited but not building my hopes up too much as I don't want to be devastated if I get knocked back so I'm trying to be sensible and not pin everything on surgery.

Can I ask about the psychological testing part? I have a community psychiatric nurse. I'm classed as medicated but stable and he supports my choice and will write a supporting letter. I don't see my psychiatrist as I'm on the right meds so she happy to leave me in my cpn's care but still I'm so I'm terrified that I will fail psychological testing. I'm excited but not building my hopes up too much as I don't want to be devastated if I get knocked back so I'm trying to be sensible and not pin everything on surgery.
I'm not sure on the psychological part as they said I didn't need to do it only test I had was sleep apnoea but sounds like it's all under control hopefully someone one here can help you out with this part xx

Ah ok thank you for your help. I hope they say I am ok as I've been to lots of courses which I can honestly say has helped me invaluably. I have done mindfulness as well. Even mindful eating but once I'm hungry I eat huge portions. I tried orlistat but because my diet is quite low fat it had no effect. No oily greasy poo etc. I eat quite well but just soo much of it at a meal. That's why I would love a gastric sleeve as I would like to not feel hungry and to go back to little portions again. When I was slim for years I used to eat off a small plate. I had to eat a lot when I was quite poorly with ulcerative colitis before I had surgery and think from that I just developed bad habits that stuck with me. I just hope 6 years well it will be 7-8 actually now since bowel surgery is long enough to have been struggling. X

Ah ok thank you for your help. I hope they say I am ok as I've been to lots of courses which I can honestly say has helped me invaluably. I have done mindfulness as well. Even mindful eating but once I'm hungry I eat huge portions. I tried orlistat but because my diet is quite low fat it had no effect. No oily greasy poo etc. I eat quite well but just soo much of it at a meal. That's why I would love a gastric sleeve as I would like to not feel hungry and to go back to little portions again. When I was slim for years I used to eat off a small plate. I had to eat a lot when I was quite poorly with ulcerative colitis before I had surgery and think from that I just developed bad habits that stuck with me. I just hope 6 years well it will be 7-8 actually now since bowel surgery is long enough to have been struggling. X

I really hope it goes well for you and anything you want to know just ask and I will try and help if I can also keep me posted on how things are going xx

I definitely will thank u :) I'm so grateful for everyone's input. Going to spend a few hours on this app and see any tips and info I can glean to make sure I'm as best prepared as possible so I stand the best chance. Dec 9th can't come soon enough. Oh when do they apply for funding? I am in gateshead so I have no clue what they do here. My gp referred me fri and by the Monday I had a date for seminar with that 7.15 app added but it didn't state who it was with. Xxx

I definitely will thank u :) I'm so grateful for everyone's input. Going to spend a few hours on this app and see any tips and info I can glean to make sure I'm as best prepared as possible so I stand the best chance. Dec 9th can't come soon enough. Oh when do they apply for funding? I am in gateshead so I have no clue what they do here. My gp referred me fri and by the Monday I had a date for seminar with that 7.15 app added but it didn't state who it was with. Xxx

If you've been accepted for seminar your funding is in place I was giving a previsional appointment with choose and book off gp then a few weeks later I received a confirmation from the hospital that ment they accepted me xx

Back