• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Me and my bowels. Oh dear. Help?

Miss Tickle

Well as the title suggests I have bowel problems. I've gone from a five- times- before -leaving -the -house- for -work girlto a once-a week-only-with -the aid- of -artificial-means woman! At my six week check up the physician said once a week wasn't okay and told me to take more laxatives. I upped the Dulcolax to every day-nada. Started to take tree a day (max dose is 2). This did help but still was only going on one day a week. Went to GP who prescribed Movicol. I take one a day ( oh yuk) but nothing happens. I've tried taking Movicol and a Dulcolax-nothing. Then I took 3 Dulcolax and the Movicol. I certainly went then !!! But again, just on the one day. It's coming up to a week again now and I'm worried. GP said not to take both but I need to go ! I will go back to the docs but thought I'd ask here for advice in the interim
xx

Have you ever tried 'Slim a Tea' from Holland and Barret.... It comes in a pack of tea bags, all natural, have one drink of it at night and it should do the trick by the morning.
I tried the stuff the hospital gave me and it didn't work despite taking it 3 times a day for a week. Then I had one tea bag and hey presto!
May not work for you but it certainly did the trick for me. It's only a couple of quid so may be worth a go. Xx

Thanks. Will pick some up tomorrow and see if it does the trick !

oh you poor thing. I only need to have 3/4 of a weetabix a day to keep me regular.
Are you eating enough fruit, fibre, and veg each day? Coffee also bungs some people up.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Hi hun tbh I vary it can be once a week.

And then a few times a week, depends on what I eat, I try to have a as much fruit as possible.

I think it is quite common so don't worry to much cos that probally doesn't help xx

Happy losing hun xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks all. Marie I am eating loads of fruit, and all bran ! Hardly eating any veg at all. It makes me ill. Shame coz I love veg !

I found benefibre worked wonders for me bowel-wise. 1-2 tsp a day keeps you regular. It's not a laxative, more of a bowel regulator. It's tasteless, you just dissolve it into either a hot or cold drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

have you asked your doctor for some lactolose, you just have 15ml in the mornings for as long as you need it x

I also have problems in moving my bowels, I have tried almost everything but still find the best for me is tinned prunes in natural fruit juice. Just 4-6 prunes and the juice does the trick for me. Make sure they ate NOT in syrup though as they can make you dump,

have you asked your doctor for some lactolose, you just have 15ml in the mornings for as long as you need it x

Doesn't that have a lot of sugar in it though? I've used it and it tastes quite sweet. Also makes me fart like you wouldn't believe!! haha

Thanks for the advice m'dears. I'll try all your suggested remedies until I find one that works :O)

Morning
How much fluid are you drinking a day, you can fill yourself with laxatives, however if there is not enough fluid in your bowel they are ineffective. This usually always works with children to double their fluid intake a day. If not you will have to call dyno-rod! xx

Morning
How much fluid are you drinking a day, you can fill yourself with laxatives, however if there is not enough fluid in your bowel they are ineffective. This usually always works with children to double their fluid intake a day. If not you will have to call dyno-rod! xx
hahahahaha good idea! :8855:

My hospital told me under no circumstances use Fybogel or Benefiber after bypass surgery, as it works by swelling up in your stomach, which would potentially damage your new pouch. I take 2 senna every night, and on the couple of occasions I've needed it, I've resorted to a glycerin suppository!! Good luck, I hope you 'work it out' eventually!! :)

snagglepuss said:
My hospital told me under no circumstances use Fybogel or Benefiber after bypass surgery, as it works by swelling up in your stomach, which would potentially damage your new pouch. I take 2 senna every night, and on the couple of occasions I've needed it, I've resorted to a glycerin suppository!! Good luck, I hope you 'work it out' eventually!! :)

Funnily enough I was advised not to use senna as it is too aggressive in the first 2/3 months post op. Advice varies so much from surgeon to surgeon, so the best bet is to follow your teams advice and if in doubt check with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It's amazing how so many of these NHS hopitals seem to contradict each other on meds, gall bladders, recovery times, post-op diet, pre-op diet etc!! Added to that - the postcode lottery of what the PCT criteria are for surgery, and it makes you wonder if they just make it all up as they go along, depending on what mood they wake up in!!!!!

Back