• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein powder intolerance? Nasty feel & taste in mouth?

Samsara

I had been getting better with the liquids - until yesterday when I vomited :( I'm not sure if it is the protein powder that is not agreeing with me as I was sick after 15 minutes of drinking it (with milk and Crusha). I really want to try and get the protein powder in and wondered if anyone else had struggled with this and had any useful tips to help me get it down? I can't add it to food yet as I am on liquids only.

I also had a day of green liquid diarrhoea - looks like I've spent the day grass-grazing!? Not sure what caused this?

I also have a constantly rank mouth that I can't seem to get rid of despite tooth brushing, mouth wash, breath spray etc. Does this ever get better i.e. when I'm eating more normally, post 12 weeks? I hope so as I am assuming due to the awful bitter taste in my mouth I will also have bad breath which I do not want to subject anyone to.

Thanks everyone :) x x x

Check the sugar levels on the protein powder, you may have dumped. Did you feel strange? Hot dizzy etc?

The mouth thing is from ketosis, rank isn't it. Get a tongue scraper, it does go though.

Just take it easy early on. I used to make up 1/2 portion of slim fast and took all morning to drink it xx

Check the sugar levels on the protein powder, you may have dumped. Did you feel strange? Hot dizzy etc?

The mouth thing is from ketosis, rank isn't it. Get a tongue scraper, it does go though.

Just take it easy early on. I used to make up 1/2 portion of slim fast and took all morning to drink it xx

Thank you - this protein powder is sugar free and low carb :/ I've just tried mixing it in Ribena - it ain't tasting good!

I thought it was ketosis - it's not for life though right? :sigh: Has yours gone now? x x x

Hi Samsara, Can I ask you which protein powder you are using that is sugar free and low carb? I have been thinking of using something like that whilst I am on the liquid stage. thanks xx

Eww I've got two big tubs of Diet maximuscle protein shakes and I cannot stomach them they are the only things that make me actually vomit not just gag. I've tried making a smoothie with them or making them into protein bars but nothing helps(just thinking about it is making me feel nauseous)

I'm not trying any more. I'd rather eat Natures best protein bars from the freezer,they are yucky but not as much as the shakes or other protein bars I've tried. I just chew and they turn into liquid no left over bits in your mouth which suits me fine.

Ladies keep trying - some companies do small samples. Go into GNC and ask for them to give you some - I finally found one that I really really like. It makes all the difference.

Yes my tongue and breathe returned to normal after a few weeks :)

I tried the protein shakes at first and they are just YUK when u can't chug them down. The only one I could suffer through were the Atkins ones. I make a nice yogurt drink that is rich in protein (as long as you like/tolerate milk). 100g 0% greek yogurt, 200ml skimmed milk and 20g milk powder, all blended with a few frozen berries (can use crusha or vanilla essence etc instead). That little concoction gives about 24g of protein, and is much more yummy.

I know I'm about a week late lol, but I hope everything has gotten better with the shakes. At least you are TRYING to drink them. I just kinda stopped and tried to look for other sources of protein. The shakes also wouldnt agree with me plus left that chalky taste in my mouth. So it was a double negative for me lol. Again hope its getting better for you.

Thanks Nora! I felt I had to try and continue with the protein powder as I bought a 2.5kg bag of the stuff! I'm just glad I can still tolerate milk although I get loud gurgling noises in my throat everytime I have dairy (that others can clearly hear too)?? Not sure why...

LOL so funny... I only say that because my daughter said something about that yesterday. That happens whenever I drink something even water. She was like "what was that?!" All I could say was "Its just mommy drinking water again" lol. But I did some reading on that too, they say it happens because we dont have as much air as we used to when it come to our stomach (or something like that, if that makes any sense).

Its so amazing to see that I'm not the only one feeling these things. I LOVE THIS SITE!! So encouraging and supportive to know your not alone : )

Back