• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MOOD SWINGS

Butterfly38

Has anyone else who's had a bypass suffered with mood swings???? I'm 12 days post op and the last few days I've just been flying off the handle for no reason at all, is this normal or is it just me????

As fat is burned off by the body hormones stored in fat like testosterone & oestrogen are released so yes it can be normal perhaps a bit early for that but may be not.
Sometimes its just post-op blues no matter how much we wanted the op etc it just hits us that way.

Just been out for a nice walk some fresh air and feeling lot better. The thing is they just come out of the blue and I know I'm doing it but can't seem to stop myself...... Then I feel terribly guilty on who ever has had the backlash of it...... I thought things were going too well !!!

Count me in for post op blues too.

Glad to hear you feel better after a walk x

Hi lincs lass..... U had yours day after mine didnt you? Mine was 5 th. I've done so well too, not had any problems at all so far so can't complain. But, I do hope these moods are not here for good. Don't know abt u but ithink I also expect too much from myself. I forget sometimes that I've had major surgery less than 2 weeks ago!! How are u getting on with everything yourself? X

You're tired, feel weak at times as you're eating very little plus yes you've had major surgery but only have a few tiny cuts to show for it, you & your loved ones forget that & the upheaval you've been through physically & are going through emotionally. If neither the scales or tape measure shrink in those first few weeks you are convinced they haven't really done it or it didn't work as no matter how well we prepare we expect it to melt away & suddenly be thin. It doesn't quite work that way, our expectations & dreams catch up with our post op anaesthesia blues. It will pass you will see things move & change both physically, mentally & emotionally it may take you a while for your mind & eyes agree on the changes that are obvious to others have happened to you.
If it continues for an extended period of time then call your team or GP as you may need something to help you cope be it medication or counselling but I wouldn't worry about that just yet a while. Give yourself time to heal & recover first.

Penelope, you talk so much sense, I'm sat here reading it and even that makes me want to cry!!! Lol you forget how long you've been going thru this process before you've even had the op....... It's almost like I'm grieving for food which sounds crazy even saying. I don't feel hunger or anything but the lack of eating had left such a big hole and makes me realise how much I ate when I wasn't hungry.... Or if I was upset...etc... All takes time I suppose to get used to the new lifestyle x thanks for listening Penelope!!

Certainly hit the nail on the ehad there Penelope. Wise words it is difficult, for us and for those supporting us. I wa smore frustrated in the fact that thye wouldot let me lift a finger at all you feel so guilty, the 1st couple of days I was so weak my hubby used to help me get a shower and get dried and put them bloomin stockings on. You feel helpless getting out and about each day does help though. xx

You're welcome butterfly38. Its a hard road pre & post op because despite our preconceptions & expectations, life doesn't always live up to them as they are rosy glowing unreal & high pressure. Things will happen, sometimes as fast as our dreams led us to expect sometimes not. Relax go with the flow it took a long time to get to the point of surgery no magic wand is available to fix it only time & hard work on our parts. You & everyone of us will get to our goal or as close to it as dreams & reality will let us.
Be kind to yourself don't put pressure on yourself & rest enough that tiredness doesn't add another trigger into the emotional roller coaster mix.

Good thread. I'm now 6 wks post op and have been 'throwing wobblers' left, right and centre recently. My dear wife has learned not to engage, but to back off and let the frustration vent out of me. It helps, as I don't want an argument, more a sympathetic ear. Bless her. xx

Hi joe..... Your post really did make me giggle .... Mainly because you said it just how I meant it...... Throwing wobblers haha but jokes aside, it's so strange isn't it, it's like someone flicks a switch and u go from 0-90 in a second !! I hate arguing or upsetting people do all these moods are not going down well!! But as Penelope says, we need to give ourself some recognition basically of what we are going through and take time to relax!! Hope It gets better for all of us !!

This is completely normal as the lovely Penelope and Chrisa have said. If you look back at my threads you will see some cries for help around 4 weeks post op, I'd say you start to feel more stable around 8 weeks - well I did. Everyone is different. Just keep thinking that it's the fat melting away and flooding your system with hormones, it might make you feel rubbish for a bit but the more fat that goes the better! ride the storm, it will be calmer again before you know. It's usually when you start getting those NSV's (non scale related victories) that you really perk up :) x

Hi lincs lass..... U had yours day after mine didnt you? Mine was 5 th. I've done so well too, not had any problems at all so far so can't complain. But, I do hope these moods are not here for good. Don't know abt u but ithink I also expect too much from myself. I forget sometimes that I've had major surgery less than 2 weeks ago!! How are u getting on with everything yourself? X

Mine was 22 Feb. I totally know what you mean about expecting too much of yourself. I keep forgetting I'm less than 5 weeks out as I feel so well. (But I'm enjoying all the 'wow, you look well comments :-D ). X

Back