• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nasty subject

drod78

But I've always had issues with my bowels and have never went regularly or daily. In order for me to pass bowels I would have to take laxatives. Now I had my WLS last Tuesday and still haven't had a bowel movement. I see my surgeon tomorrow and I'm going to ask him if I'm able to drink laxatives natural ones since that's the only way for me to go. Don't know if anyone has had these problems if so please share what worked best for you?? By the way I hope he agrees with me and recommends me to take the laxatives that way I won't be back up... Lol

Hi I was sent home from hospital with a bottle of Lactulose that lasted me abou t2 weeks then I was told if I needed I could take Senokot.

It's a common problem after surgery. I didn't 'go' for a week. I had to take laxatives in the end to help me pass a motion. Ask your surgeon, but I'm sure it should be ok. I also added benefibre to all my drinks. That helped to keep me regular afterwards. Can you get benefibre in the states?

Make sure your drinking plenty too. That should help things along :)

It's a common problem after surgery. I didn't 'go' for a week. I had to take laxatives in the end to help me pass a motion. Ask your surgeon, but I'm sure it should be ok. I also added benefibre to all my drinks. That helped to keep me regular afterwards. Can you get benefibre in the states?

Make sure your drinking plenty too. That should help things along :)

I think they do sell it in the states Paula I just didn't know I could use that. I have always taken some natural laxatives that smell like mint they sell them in GNC don't know if they have one of those in your neck of the woods but they sell all types of health products and vitamins. Lets see what my provider says tomorrow and I will follow his orders of course. Then I'll go back to protein shakes and finally start taking my vitamins..

I was sent home with a bottle of lactulose too. TBH, I didn't freak at not going for the best part of a week as I figured I hadn't consumed any solids. I did go eventually, and it was not as grim as I had been led to believe. I go most days now and am happy with what occurs, but I am on normal foods now so more for my system to get to grips with (Week 5, Day 1) xx

I was sent home with a bottle of lactulose too. TBH, I didn't freak at not going for the best part of a week as I figured I hadn't consumed any solids. I did go eventually, and it was not as grim as I had been led to believe. I go most days now and am happy with what occurs, but I am on normal foods now so more for my system to get to grips with (Week 5, Day 1) xx

Good luck with the normal foods Lilac hope all goes well with that. I guess I have to keep trying things until I find what agrees with my new pouch. They only send me home with a pain killer and Pepcid to help with an upset stomach. Guess my provider wasn't so concerned with the constipation.. :(

I had a massive amount of stress trying to pass my first movement after surgery. I now take a sachet or two of movicol every day until I start eating a reasonable amount of solid food. The important thing for me was that the laxative was an osmotic one, to make everything easier to pass.

Good luck!

I had a massive amount of stress trying to pass my first movement after surgery. I now take a sachet or two of movicol every day until I start eating a reasonable amount of solid food. The important thing for me was that the laxative was an osmotic one, to make everything easier to pass.

Good luck!

Thanks Sarah for the info my problem has always been not being able to go regularly so I really need to take laxatives no matter what I haven't taken any lately due to my WLS but I think I'm gonna have to start it again its the only way unfortunately

I had the same. I'm still taking lactulose six months out. If I forget it one day I know about it! Doc said its fine just to stay on it, so looks like it's a daily dose for me!

I only go about twice a week now, but it's a low-residue diet really. I use Glycerol suppositories.

The sad part is my sergeon didn't prescribe me anything he just told me I'd be able to go in a few days. I had my hopes up high and I actually thought getting the WLS I would actually be able to go normally like everyone else but that's not the case just.. Boy was I wrong SMH hope fully my 1 wk follow up my Dr will approve my laxatives in that case I won't feel so clogged up.. Fingers crossed :)

The sad part is my sergeon didn't prescribe me anything he just told me I'd be able to go in a few days. I had my hopes up high and I actually thought getting the WLS I would actually be able to go normally like everyone else but that's not the case just.. Boy was I wrong SMH hope fully my 1 wk follow up my Dr will approve my laxatives in that case I won't feel so clogged up.. Fingers crossed :)

Mine didn't prescribe anything either, but I do have IBS so things are always unreliable. If I get a bloated feeling, I decide it's time to use a suppository, which I prefer to taking something which has to go through me, because I din't like things which can provoke the IBS.
It works for me, but I'm sure your Dr will prescribe something suitable for you..it seems to be a common problem, but it's not necessary to go every single day.

I too have had problems someone on here told me about using prune juice. on its own it didnot work so i take 2 senokot tablets. so far it hasnot set my ibs off so i hope this is the combination that works for megood luck

I too have had problems someone on here told me about using prune juice. on its own it didnot work so i take 2 senokot tablets. so far it hasnot set my ibs off so i hope this is the combination that works for megood luck

I'm still in the process of trying to go which sucks feeling backed up.. They say its normal for you not to go in the first few days after surgery...

Back