• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Northern General Sheffield

Mechlsd

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a gastric op done by consultant Kirt Pattel.

Have have been to see him this week (1st visit) to confirm i wanted the gastric bypass and answer all his questions.

What struck me in this talk was, first he was young and second he made me feel down and like something may go wrong in the op.

I have reseached things that could go wrong, so it was not shock, but there was no up-beat tone to his voice, no re-assurance that all will be well and a came away thinking is this the norm?

Also i can not trace his history or find anything about him on the net. Unlike Mr Ackroyd, who i now wish i had. Guess i am lucky to be having it done, but i came out of that room feeling like i signed my own death warrent.

Be nice if someone here had experiance with Mr Pattel?

Mechlsd

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had a gastric op done by consultant Kirt Pattel.

Have have been to see him this week (1st visit) to confirm i wanted the gastric bypass and answer all his questions.

What struck me in this talk was, first he was young and second he made me feel down and like something may go wrong in the op.

I have reseached things that could go wrong, so it was not shock, but there was no up-beat tone to his voice, no re-assurance that all will be well and a came away thinking is this the norm?

Also i can not trace his history or find anything about him on the net. Unlike Mr Ackroyd, who i now wish i had. Guess i am lucky to be having it done, but i came out of that room feeling like i signed my own death warrent.

Be nice if someone here had experiance with Mr Pattel?

Mechlsd

Hi, :) I was under Mr Patel last year but my op was actually done by Mr Ackroyd as a last minute cancellation in October. I found Mr Patel lovely & he operated on my room mate in ICU at Thornbury & she is often on here & I know she was more than happy with him & has had really good results. It is part of the surgeons job to make sure you are fully aware of all the facts & it can be quite daunting but from my experience, Mr Patel is not a scare monger so doubt he would have been trying to put you off. I am 6 months post op, 90lbs down & a very happy bunny :) Welcome to the forum & good luck with the rest of your journey :):) xx

I'm under Mr Ackroyd although I never met him, met one of his colleagues who with her help decided I should have a bypass.

Was told I was likely to be operated on at the Thornbury.

Thanks for the replys.

I am now 4 days into my milk and yogurt diet. Loss 8 pounds already. Op date 20th June. Very scare of not getting off the table alive, but the benifits will be life changing.

Things go through my mind like doing the milk yogurt diet for 3 days each month and just eat to lose weight the rest of the month and not have the op..lol

Still no news on Mr Pattel, just hope he gets me throuh it.

Mech

Hi and welcome,
Try not to worry so much, I've never met either Mr Patel or Mr Ackroyd, but I met one of Mr Ackroyds team and he helped me decide on a bypass, he went through all the pros and cons of having the op, explaining what could go wrong, but also explaining what would be done should things go wrong.
I left NGH feeling confident that I will be placing myself in experienced hands.
I've heard nothing but good about either Mr Patel or Mr Ackroyd, and if you think about it bariatric surgery wouldn't be such a popular option if people were dying from it all the time!
At my group session we were told there's less risk having a bypass than having your tonsils out!
Lots and lots of luck with your op, and keep us up to date with your progress .
Em xxxx

hi, welcome to the forum

my op was done by mr patel 8 days ago, he is very young but he is lovely ive met him 4 times now and every time he has put my mind at ease as i was very nervous but really you will be just fine.

good luck with the pre op diet its a killer but so worth it in the end, good luck with your op and keep us posted.

sam x

Cheers for the 'killer' bit. I start mine on 29th

Thanks guys.

I find the diet ok, day 3 was bad, but i went shopping around Asda, and took some time to pass the cooked chickens.. lol

Funny there is no info on Mr Pattel, but good to know he is good.

Also found out it's a Thornbury, which is private and really looks nice, even better if i get my own room.

Don't worry about the diet, if you feel weak just go get weighted. I lost 8pounds in the first 3 days of the milk/yogurt diet. That has given me a boost in strenght.

Good luck Retfordmag. Milk r Us

mr patel

hiya everyone
wondering if you can help me out...
im on the waiting list for gastric bypass
i met mr patel on the 23rd of may
had my pre op on the 19th of june
i wanted to know how long after you had the pre op did you recieve your letter informing you of your date for the operation?
im desperate to know how long im going to have to wait!

thanks stacey

hiya everyone
i wanted to know how long after you had the pre op did you recieve your letter informing you of your date for the operation?

thanks stacey

Hi Stacey :) Did they ask you if you would be available for last minute admission? They did me :) I had my pre op on 19/09 & they called on 26/09 to say I could have my op on 03/10 :eek: & I did, at Thornbury. :D Hope you are as lucky as me, honey :D xxx

hiya everyone

thanks stacey

Hi Stacey,
I met one of Mr Ackroyds team on 23rd of may and had my pre op on 19th of June exactly the same as you and I've no idea either how long we have to wait.
I was told by the surgeon it's 2 and a half to 3 months waiting from pre op to op...so not long at all, but the waiting is driving me mad!

hi,

i coudnt remember the exact dates of all my app so i fished them all out and there are......

seminar.. 15th march
meeting with mr patel.. 11th april
pre op .. 9th may
day of op.. 6th june

so all in all i dont think thats bad at all

the team at the northern & thornbury are brilliant i really cant fault them at all i had my first post op app this week & met liz govern she put my mind at rest with all the problems i thought i had lol

so hopefully it wont be long for either of you i think i had about 8 days from getting my letter with op date to having to start pre op diet.

good luck

sam x

that letter will drop through your door when your least expecting it, mine did i was in skegness in the club on our caravan site, my mum phoned me to tell me, i wanted to go back in and shout it out loud im having my op on the 6th june, but all the oldies were playing bingo lol, so trying to tell my partner in a hush hush voice, i just burst into tears ha ha the difference it has made to my life already is amazing its the best thing ive done in years or thats how i feel today anyway tomo maybe different..........

I'm probably a bad example as had pre-op in March but due to holidays I was on in May i didnt get my actual admission letter til last week and started milk diet today in preperation of op on 9th July

Sam, weighed myself this morning at Boots (weigh bridge on motorway was shut lol) and feel really annoyed - have piled weight on even more so keeping the receipt for it to show docs

thankyou everyone for your replies! :)
yeah i got asked if i could go in at short notice so hopefully i will be lucky like most of you guys and will get that letter asap
thought it was all go yesterday but was just a letter saying my blood sugars are a little high as im diabetic but it also said this wouldnt delay surgery so fingers crossed :)
x

Back