• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not long to go now

wobbles

My bypass is booked for the 21st of this month. I can't believe how fast it is coming.
I've decided to start the pre op diet a little earlier than the recommended 10 days and will start it on Monday. I figure the more weight i lose on it, the less risk of things going wrong in the op, but also it means i have less to lose.

I'm feeling rather anxious about it all. I have spent so long getting it out of my head in case it didn't happen, that i feel unprepared. However, can you ever really be prepared? At the moment, i'm not allowing myself much time to think about the actual op as it makes me scared and nevous, i just love fantasysing about all the weight i'll lose.

One thing that concerns me, is that i've not received a confirmation letter from the hospital about the op date. Should i have received something by now with instructions on when to start the pre op diet..when to actually go into hospital, etc? Or should i contact them on Monday?

Post op bypassers, is it possible to really prepare yourself for what is going to happen? I'm not quite sure what to expect over the week/weeks following the surgery.

Hi Wobbles, you should receive an appointment for a pre op assessment where they will give you the pre op diet info and do some MRSA swabs, bloods and possibly an ECG. they should then give you your admission details.

Preperation for the op was on and off for me some days i felt really positive and optimistic and other days i felt anxious. I think the thing for me was that i knew i needed the op as my health was that bad. reminding myself of the positives kept me going.

good luck it will be here in no time xx

wobbles

best of luck for your op. I am new to this site but they seem to be a great bunch of people. keep in touch.

Thanks ladies.

I've had my pre op assessment a couple of weeks ago. I was not given anything, apart from an information booklet about the bypass, and the sheet with the pre op diet on it.
I think i will give them a call on Monday to make sure and confirm, and find out some more info.

Hey hey,

I was given the date over the phone, then got a pack in the post with details of when and where to go, what to take with me etc. All places are different though!

With the mental preparation, it's hard to do that beforehand. I found just researching as much as possible so that I knew what could happen etc beforehand helped. Stocking up on any meds you'll need post op helps, saves midnight runs to a supermarket to get gripe water etc!

I found that the start of the pre-op diet made everything seem much closer and real, so i felt quite anxious, but towards the end I felt much calmer and ready for the op.

You've got 24hour support here if you need it, so make the most of the forum.

Shel thank you that really helps, and i appreciate that.

Linda, i really hope things start happening for you too.

There is plenty of info on our site and our diarys to help aswell.

Do your homework and research as much as you can, make sure you understand the long term consiquences of what you are about to do aswell as the short term, this is a VERY serious operation that can have many complications.

Hi,

I think there is only so much you can do to prepare yourself for this life changing op, as we all experience the bypass differently. Read and research the bypass, positive and negative, to fully make yourself aware what can and may happen after the op, so there will be no nasty shocks! I spent many an hour reading different stories, a couple of books on the bypass (which were quite negative!) and just generally finding out as much about what life will be like after the op. Your life will change after the op, and you will lose weight!! The first week is often described as hell week....its when you are most likely to feel at your worst. I expected the worst, and was surprised to find that my first week was not all that bad, just sore! But we are all different, and some people really do go through hell! I'm not trying to scare you, just being honest as this is a major operation, and your body will go through a major change. Eating after the bypass happens in stages, and at times it is hard to get all that you need in! Just remember it will get easier, and you will eat quite a normal diet again (low fat/sugar tho!) You will eat very slowly and chew, chew and chew your food which is difficult to get used to, but to me now, it is normal! Eating too fast can lead to nausea, and can cause you to vomit. Also not chewing your food to a liquid consistency can cause food to get stuck in your little pouch which is painful! (I speak from experience:rolleyes:)

There is also the "dumping" syndrome. This happens when the lower end of the small intestine, fills too quickly with undigested food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins during or right after a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness Many people have both types! Dumping is usually associated with eating foods too high in sugar or fat, and is not a great feeling. It does pass though if it happens to you, normally within 45 mins or so.

I didnt have to do a pre op diet, so cant help you too much with that. It is normal to be excited, and scared in the time running up to the op, if you have any questions, or just want some support, there is always someone here to help!

Sorry I have written a book here!!:eek: I get a bit carried away...........:D

I wish you the best of luck for your operation, and the start of your new life! I certainly have not regretted a thing so far, and I'm sure you will be the same.

Take care,

Kel xxx

Back