• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On the list!! (Whittington)

Ultimately it is your final decision but, I had a band put in 4 yrs ago and not the best of lucks with it so far, as I was one of those rare cases where my body rejected the foreign object inside it :( pain and struggle I've been in over past 4 yrs I do not wish to anyone. I am now waiting list to do bypass.

Just another side of the story but thought you would also like to know 'dark' side of all lovely things that can happen with band.

Best of lucks

think Sufi and Lorna are away at the moment

Thanks hun, that would explain things! I've since found out Lorna is definitely away this week. Think I'll give Kirsten a call tomorrow then as some of the issues I raised in my emails are no longer issues so can be disregarded/deleted before he gets back lol :D

Hi guys :wavey:

Can't believe it's been over a month since I last updated here! Been a very stressful time for me trying to cope with all the travelling to appts etc as my depression is back with a vengeance so all I feel like doing is hiding under the duvet :cry:

I had the gastroscopy last week and all I can say is it was horrendous. As I was on my own I wasn't allowed to have sedation, which I knew beforehand, so underwent the procedure fully awake. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone else to do that unless they really have no choice!

Apparently I have a hernia, which was suspected as I suffer chronic heartburn daily. I don't know what impact that will have on WLS or whether it can be repaired at the same time. They also took some biopsies and testing for H. pylori, but I had that several years ago and was treated for it so I'm not sure if it can return. I thought it was something people were born with! :confused:

I was told the results of all the tests would be sent to my GP and he would contact me if I needed further treatment. However, on Monday I received a letter from the hospital asking me to go back and see Mr Sufi after xmas. I already have an appt to see him in Feb for the follow up to my first appt with him back in Oct so I can only assume this is related to the gastroscopy. Obviously my mind is now working overtime and I'm fearing the worst! :cry:

On top of all this I can't seem to get hold of Lorna to chase up my funding (not sure she's even applied for it yet!!) as well as the sleep apnea appt as I've not head anything about that yet and time is running out. The answer phone seems to be permanently switched on and I've left several messages but she never gets back to me. Anyone else managed to speak with her recently?

I'm sorry my post isn't particularly positive but everything is really getting to me at the moment and I don't have anyone to talk to about any of it. I hope everyone else is keeping well and those waiting for surgery are getting nearer to your goals. Take care xxx

PS Oh and I've also not managed to lose any weight :(

Well, it seems I'm lost in limbo somewhere in the system. I can't get hold of Lorna to find out what's going on at that end, and the referral my GP was making for my ED assessment has been completely fecked up and nobody thought to let me know!! Waiting for a phone call back this morning once they find out what's gone wrong.

Ok, now I'm bl00dy pi$$ed off as it seems Lorna hasn't even bothered to send the referral forms off for either the sleep apnoea or eating disorders tests and there's a 3mth+ waiting list for both!!!! :cry:

It shouldn't be my job to track down each departmental phone number and chase up these appts, and I can't do anything more until Lorna sends them the forms and she never answers the damn phone and is currently away on holiday!!!! :mad:

I had the same issues. I have the numbers if you need them. I managed to get last minute cancellations for both so you may be lucky and get the same! Worth calling and telling them you'd be free to do anytime (if you're able to be that flexible that is!).

Are you coming to the meet-up on the 16th???

Have you tried calling/emailing Kirsten??? I had to in the end as was having issues getting my appointments booked otherwise.

Ignore Lorna - she is - well - aside of the fact she has been great with Roch, she is to be avoided - Kirsten is your woman - email her. Why go to the oily rag when you can go to the mechanic!?

Thanks guys, have just emailed Kirsten but I assume she's currently working her way through a backlog of emails as I received an "out of office" reply, but it did say she was back at work on Dec 29th so I'm sure she'll reply when she gets to it.

I can't believe neither of these appts have been made and they're the ones with the longest waiting times too! I spoke to a Kathy Hammond in the respiratory clinic and she said that she can't do anything until she gets the referral form from Lorna.

The person I need to speak with at St Ann's is around at the moment so will try again this afternoon but I suspect I'll get a similar response :(

Meggie, I hope I'm as fortunate as you in being able to get cancellations as I've already got hotel and train tix booked for my appt with Sufi in Feb so if that has to be put back I'll be mega pi$$ed off!

I've got to see Sufi, or one of his team, in a couple of weeks about results of the gastroscopy though so will mention it then if I can. This appt is still worrying me sick though as it wasn't expected!

I doubt I'll be able to make the meet-up, which is a shame, as Saturday's are usually taken up with footie stuff with son. Plus, trains are so unreliable at weekends as they do all the track work then there's no guarantee I'd get down/back ok, but thanks for the invite. Look forward to reading all about it :)

Ignore Lorna - she is - well - aside of the fact she has been great with Roch, she is to be avoided - Kirsten is your woman - email her. Why go to the oily rag when you can go to the mechanic!?

Hello Caroline hows u luv ur post lol xx

Hi Twiggie have just left u a voicemail :) hun pls dont be disillusioned by the 3 month waiting lists they do have plenty of cancellations especially this time of year when people are getting sick, u just have to let them know u can take a cancellation and call up every day, think that is what meggie did lol and it def worked for her.

Am sure Kirsten will get back to u soon, they are back today and she is def the one to sort things out for you, i hope all ur referrals get sent off soon, expect to wait bout a month after they have been sent off till u get the app letter but def try calling up say 10 days after u know it has def been sent out, that way if it has been received then u can try getting earlier appointments.

Take care hun and pls dont stay away so long xxxx

Sorry Roch, didn't pick up your message until later on. I'm feeling really low right now and all this stress on top isn't helping. I'm like you in that I hide away and don't want to see or speak to anyone when I feel so low so please don't take it personally hun xx

And I still haven't heard anything from anyone!!! I really feel like throwing in the towel right now and saying sod it, I'll just stay fat for the rest of my life :cry:

Sorry Roch, didn't pick up your message until later on. I'm feeling really low right now and all this stress on top isn't helping. I'm like you in that I hide away and don't want to see or speak to anyone when I feel so low so please don't take it personally hun xx

And I still haven't heard anything from anyone!!! I really feel like throwing in the towel right now and saying sod it, I'll just stay fat for the rest of my life :cry:

Hun pls dont do that, unfortunately with wls its a waiting game and its all done in their time and not as fast as we hope it will be done.
Kirsten is fab and so helpful but the thing is that they are so busy that it does take time for them to respond.
Have u tried leaving a voicemail on Kirstens mob maybe that will help.

I understand hpw u feel bout hiding away as i am the queen of that so dont worry have not taken that personally at all.
If u want a chat at any time then u have my number, take care hun and am sure u will get an answer very soon.
Love Roch xx

Hi Twiggie,

Don't give up. My mom always said there is a reason for everything. Perhaps one of the reasons for the delay is/was for you to get your head around the operation you really want. I was told I'd have my op by October but due to waiting for psychological and cardiac assessments I still haven't got a date. However, the delay has meant that my husband and siblings have had time to get their head around it all and are now very supportive, despite still being uncertain. I think I would have found it hard without their support. It has also meant that I have met and made friends with people who are on the same journey as me. It's great to know that the support is there. Chin up and keep ploughing on.

Rebirth

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it. I was feeling very low earlier today and couldn't see how I was going to cope with everything. I'm feeling more positive now though as things are finally on the move again! :)

I had a call from Kirsten this afternoon and she was absolutely lovely, extremely helpful in sorting everything out for me. She'd contacted the respiratory clinic and sent over all the paperwork to them and said I would hear from them very soon. She's also going to chase up St Ann's to see what's going on with the ED assessment.

I received a call from Kathy in the sleep clinic this evening and she's arranged for me to see the consultant there and then because I'm already booked into a hotel the night before my appt with Mr Sufi in Feb, she's arranged for me to pick up the sleep test equipment to use in the hotel the night before!!! :D

I can't praise Kirsten and Kathy enough for bending over backwards to sort out all this mess so I can remain on schedule to see Mr Sufi as planned in Feb. All the test results will be in apart from the ED assessment, which is going to be the major thorn in the side. Like Meggie though, I am now prepared to go private whatever the cost if this is going to hold things up. I also still need to chase up Lorna to find out whether she's applied for my funding yet! Must remember to ring/email tomorrow, and every day thereafter until I get an answer lol

But before all that can happen I need to get through this other appt first, which is a major source of worry. Hopefully I'll see Mr Sufi so he'll be able to tell me if it will have any impact on my WLS. Fingers crossed it won't!! :confused:

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it. I was feeling very low earlier today and couldn't see how I was going to cope with everything. I'm feeling more positive now though as things are finally on the move again! :)

I had a call from Kirsten this afternoon and she was absolutely lovely, extremely helpful in sorting everything out for me. She'd contacted the respiratory clinic and sent over all the paperwork to them and said I would hear from them very soon. She's also going to chase up St Ann's to see what's going on with the ED assessment.

I received a call from Kathy in the sleep clinic this evening and she's arranged for me to see the consultant there and then because I'm already booked into a hotel the night before my appt with Mr Sufi in Feb, she's arranged for me to pick up the sleep test equipment to use in the hotel the night before!!! :D

I can't praise Kirsten and Kathy enough for bending over backwards to sort out all this mess so I can remain on schedule to see Mr Sufi as planned in Feb. All the test results will be in apart from the ED assessment, which is going to be the major thorn in the side. Like Meggie though, I am now prepared to go private whatever the cost if this is going to hold things up. I also still need to chase up Lorna to find out whether she's applied for my funding yet! Must remember to ring/email tomorrow, and every day thereafter until I get an answer lol

But before all that can happen I need to get through this other appt first, which is a major source of worry. Hopefully I'll see Mr Sufi so he'll be able to tell me if it will have any impact on my WLS. Fingers crossed it won't!! :confused:

Hey hun,
Glad you phoned Kirsten and things are looking up now!! She's lovely isn't she!!! I actually managed to get a cancellation for my ED assessment on the NHS that came before my private appointment so was lucky and didn't have to pay!!! I would give it a couple of days then call St Ann's. You never know, they may have a few cancellations at the moment with the weather as it is!!!! Are you available at very short notice??? I was called on the Wednesday at 5pm for an appointment at 10 on the Friday, so guess it depends how flexible you can be. I think speaking to someone at the department really helps aswell as stressing you are available at VERY short notice!!! They called me, not the other way around!!!

Good luck hun!! When is your appointment with Sufi? At least your sleep will be through by then!! I did hear of one person who had been referred for the ED but never had it and still had their op. Not sure if that was a mistake though!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back