• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On the list!! (Whittington)

Hi Meggie, glad I'm not the only insomniac lol ;)

I've just updated my sig with all the appts (and weight gain!! :eek: )

I'm glad you mentioned that about the ED as I'm hoping I might not need it now but won't know until I've spoken to Mr Sufi. He originally wanted me to have the assessment as I'd asked for a gastric band and he wasn't happy as I'd said sometimes, esp in the evening, I'll continue to eat even if not hungry.

In the referral letter to the psych dept he wants them to assess me on suitability for a gastric band .... BUT ... I have since changed my mind and I'm willing to have the gastric bypass on his advice. If I do get to see him next week then I'll mention it to him.

If I do have to have it then I'll take whatever appt they can offer me lol ;)

PS Just noticed you've got your surgery date .... FANTASTIC!!!!!!! :woohoo:

In fact, is that on the Friday? I'm down at the hospital to pick up sleep test stuff on the Sunday and seeing Sufi on the Monday. Will you still be hospital then? Fancy a visitor? lol

Last edited:

I'm glad you mentioned that about the ED as I'm hoping I might not need it now but won't know until I've spoken to Mr Sufi. He originally wanted me to have the assessment as I'd asked for a gastric band and he wasn't happy as I'd said sometimes, esp in the evening, I'll continue to eat even if not hungry.

In the referral letter to the psych dept he wants them to assess me on suitability for a gastric band .... BUT ... I have since changed my mind and I'm willing to have the gastric bypass on his advice. If I do get to see him next week then I'll mention it to him.

Haha yeah, I'm the eternal insomniac!! Most of my posts take place in the wee small hours of the morning!!!

Just saw all of your appointments. Plenty of opportunities to get a cancellation for the ED. Personally I would still try and book it in. If you manage to get a cancellation then just go! The woman I saw was lovely!! Not massively keen on WLS though!!! They didn't have my report back in time for my appointment with Heath.....luckily I had my own copy with me!!!

Are you absolutely sure the bypass is what you want? I'm not trying to put you off at all!! The ED woman will ask lots of questions to see whether you are mentally prepared for such a huge op, and a huge change to the rest of your life!!! I'm opting for a bypass after originally wanting a band (that was before joining and becoming obsessed with this site!!!).

Anytime you want a chat/rant/moan about it all feel free to message me hun!!! Not sure I'd be a lot of help but sometimes it just helps to vent!!!!

xxxxxxxxx

PS Just noticed you've got your surgery date .... FANTASTIC!!!!!!! :woohoo:

In fact, is that on the Friday? I'm down at the hospital to pick up sleep test stuff on the Sunday and seeing Sufi on the Monday. Will you still be hospital then? Fancy a visitor? lol

Just noticed the last bit of your post!!! Yes, thank you! I will hopefully be having my op on the 19th of February (all being well at the pre-op!!!), but am hoping to be out by Sunday...........don't know how realistic that is!!! I have seen other people say they were out in two-three days and I'm pretty fit and healthy so hoping I will be up and about quickly!!! You definitely can't make it on the 16th?? (Sorry, I remember you saying you can't but can't remember why, and I can't find the post!!).

Haha yeah, I'm the eternal insomniac!! Most of my posts take place in the wee small hours of the morning!!!

Just saw all of your appointments. Plenty of opportunities to get a cancellation for the ED. Personally I would still try and book it in. If you manage to get a cancellation then just go! The woman I saw was lovely!! Not massively keen on WLS though!!! They didn't have my report back in time for my appointment with Heath.....luckily I had my own copy with me!!!

Are you absolutely sure the bypass is what you want? I'm not trying to put you off at all!! The ED woman will ask lots of questions to see whether you are mentally prepared for such a huge op, and a huge change to the rest of your life!!! I'm opting for a bypass after originally wanting a band (that was before joining and becoming obsessed with this site!!!).

Anytime you want a chat/rant/moan about it all feel free to message me hun!!! Not sure I'd be a lot of help but sometimes it just helps to vent!!!!

xxxxxxxxx

Yup, will still go ahead with booking ED appt at St Ann's and trying to get cancellation etc, unless Sufi categorically states I don't need to. Also got my own GP trying to find somewhere too as Addenbrooke's have closed their books to any more ED referrals, so that's a brick wall too!

It took me a while to get my head around having a bypass as I hadn't even considered it before Sufi suggested it, but now I have I know it will be the right choice for me. It would be far too easy to cheat with the band and I know I probably would. Also, my PCT won't fund two ops so if the band fails I'm stuffed and would have to go private for bypass (or move!!) so I'm not taking any chances.

I've spoken to so many people now that have had the bypass and are happy with it. I also know I'd get highly frustrated waiting between fills with the band if it wasn't quite right, and I'm the sort of person who needs to see instant results lol

The bypass will be the start of a whole lifestyle change for me as it will be permanent whereas with the band you always know in the back of your mind it can be taken off, plus I'm not sure you can have a band if you've got a hernia?

I bet you can't wait for you op now! Roch has got hers coming up soon too, so we're all getting there slowly! It's actually gone quite quickly cos I remember thinking back in summer when I first got my referral that I wanted it done & dusted before end of 2009. Then when I realised there'd be no chance of having the op until at least Jan/Feb it seemed like forever, yet here we are!!!

I just hope I get my op before summer now so I can lose enough weight to actually go out somewhere on a sunny day instead of hiding away at home when it's hot! :eek:

Yup, will still go ahead with booking ED appt at St Ann's and trying to get cancellation etc, unless Sufi categorically states I don't need to. Also got my own GP trying to find somewhere too as Addenbrooke's have closed their books to any more ED referrals, so that's a brick wall too!

It took me a while to get my head around having a bypass as I hadn't even considered it before Sufi suggested it, but now I have I know it will be the right choice for me. It would be far too easy to cheat with the band and I know I probably would. Also, my PCT won't fund two ops so if the band fails I'm stuffed and would have to go private for bypass (or move!!) so I'm not taking any chances.

I've spoken to so many people now that have had the bypass and are happy with it. I also know I'd get highly frustrated waiting between fills with the band if it wasn't quite right, and I'm the sort of person who needs to see instant results lol

The bypass will be the start of a whole lifestyle change for me as it will be permanent whereas with the band you always know in the back of your mind it can be taken off, plus I'm not sure you can have a band if you've got a hernia?

I bet you can't wait for you op now! Roch has got hers coming up soon too, so we're all getting there slowly! It's actually gone quite quickly cos I remember thinking back in summer when I first got my referral that I wanted it done & dusted before end of 2009. Then when I realised there'd be no chance of having the op until at least Jan/Feb it seemed like forever, yet here we are!!!

I just hope I get my op before summer now so I can lose enough weight to actually go out somewhere on a sunny day instead of hiding away at home when it's hot! :eek:

Those were the exact same reasons I switched to the bypass. I KNOW me well enough to know that I would cheat the band, any way I could!!! Originally the permanance of the bypass scared me, but I'm not going to put myself through such a major op only to have to go back in a year or two to have it changed to the bypass!!

I'm very excited about getting my date!! I'm having good days and bad at the moment as I have days where I'm absolutely over the moon about it!! Then I have a couple of days where all the negative thoughts in the world come rushing in!!! WHAT THE F*** AM I DOING has entered my mind more than once over the last couple of weeks!!! I know I'm doing the right thing. Can't wait until I've had my pre-op (on the 21st of January) and get the letter confirming my op!!

I know what you mean about it feeling like forever, but my journey has actually been quite quick as I've been extremely lucky!! I have been quite proactive in getting cancellations etc aswell though!! And luckily I pushed for my referrals, and checked that they'd gone through as they hadn't even been sent!!! Though I will say it wasn't Lorna or Kirsten's fault.

Am dreading starting the pre-op diet but guess I have to get my head around that!! I'm starting mine on the 24th of January (two days later than I'm meant to but I know starting it on the Saturday is a bad idea. I will be more successful if I start it on the Sunday).

Well keep us posted hun. Obviously I hope you don't have to bother with the ED appointment. I guess if you have to do it then you have to do it!!!

I'm very excited about getting my date!! I'm having good days and bad at the moment as I have days where I'm absolutely over the moon about it!! Then I have a couple of days where all the negative thoughts in the world come rushing in!!! WHAT THE F*** AM I DOING has entered my mind more than once over the last couple of weeks!!! I know I'm doing the right thing. Can't wait until I've had my pre-op (on the 21st of January) and get the letter confirming my op!!

It's only natural to have such huge emotional swings hun, you're going to be undergoing a major lifestyle change! Even I've had the 'WHAT THE F*** AM I DOING' thoughts this past week or two and I'm not even anywhere near my surgery date yet! It's easy to let the negative thoughts take over when you feel low ;)

Having read people's posts here, plus met bypassers at the support meetings I've yet to hear someone say they regretted going through with it, so you'll be fine :D

Which pre-op diet are you following? I need to shift some weight quickly over the next couple of weeks so I'm going to try the jelly/bovril/protein shake diet for a week or two. I think just cutting out alcohol will go a long way to cutting the calories though lol ;)

My sleep/eating patterns are all over the place since xmas and I'm hungry now but trying to resist eating! I've really pushed the boat out this xmas and had lots of luxury food as it'll be my last one where I can eat what I want, hence gaining almost half a stone!! :eek:

Anything left uneaten by the weekend will be binned and new diet starts Monday lol ..... Yes, I need to learn to THROW AWAY FOOD .... I AM NOT A HUMAN DUSTBIN!!!!! :8855:

It's only natural to have such huge emotional swings hun, you're going to be undergoing a major lifestyle change! Even I've had the 'WHAT THE F*** AM I DOING' thoughts this past week or two and I'm not even anywhere near my surgery date yet! It's easy to let the negative thoughts take over when you feel low ;)

Having read people's posts here, plus met bypassers at the support meetings I've yet to hear someone say they regretted going through with it, so you'll be fine :D

Which pre-op diet are you following? I need to shift some weight quickly over the next couple of weeks so I'm going to try the jelly/bovril/protein shake diet for a week or two. I think just cutting out alcohol will go a long way to cutting the calories though lol ;)

My sleep/eating patterns are all over the place since xmas and I'm hungry now but trying to resist eating! I've really pushed the boat out this xmas and had lots of luxury food as it'll be my last one where I can eat what I want, hence gaining almost half a stone!! :eek:

Anything left uneaten by the weekend will be binned and new diet starts Monday lol ..... Yes, I need to learn to THROW AWAY FOOD .... I AM NOT A HUMAN DUSTBIN!!!!! :8855:

We're not human dustbins?!?! We're not MEANT to eat everything in sight!?!? God I wish I'd known!!;)

Hun I did exactly the same thing this xmas. I'm finding it really hard to get back on track with it all!! But know I have to before my pre-op assessment. So scared they'll say no if I've put on too much weight!! I have lost nearly a stone (well three quarters now after xmas, so think I did ok. Not as well as I would've liked but hey-ho!!

I'm going to do the low-cal one. I was going to ask Lucy if I could do the milk diet but everyone says it's hell!! I know I can stick to the other one if I really put my mind to it............a key thing for me is planning my meals beforehand!!

Has Sufi said you have to lose weight before your op??

Yep, he said he wanted me to lose at least a stone before I next see him in Feb. I'd already lost half a stone between referral and seeing him but I've gained that back so will need to lose 21lbs now!!! .... I must shift that 7lbs before the Jan appt though so got 12 days to do it!!! :eek:

Need to get back on the running machine too as I feel so sluggish and getting out of breath just waling upstairs which isn't good! If they wanted me to repeat that exercise test now there's no chance I'd get the same results lol

Are you watching BBC4? A diet programme on lol

Haha I finally gave in to the slumber at about 4.30 ish!! Not feeling too bad today considering!! God I hope my insomnia starts to sort itself out when I've had my op!!! It's becoming ridiculous!!

Haha I finally gave in to the slumber at about 4.30 ish!! Not feeling too bad today considering!! God I hope my insomnia starts to sort itself out when I've had my op!!! It's becoming ridiculous!!

I fell asleep about the same time! Was up again at 7am to get son off to college only for them to turn round and say it's closed today due to snow, typical! Already had my coffee by then so was too wide awake to go back to bed. Hope I can stay awake today and get to bed at a reasonable time tonight!

Must try and phone Lorna re: funding app .... NOW!!! :D

ETA: Yayyy!!! ....finally got through at the 4th attempt! She's going to try and call my PCT today to find out what she needs to do to apply for the funding as she's never dealt with them before, so fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Apparently best way to get her is call her, then if she doesn't answer call her 30 seconds later!! She normally does then!!

Apparently best way to get her is call her, then if she doesn't answer call her 30 seconds later!! She normally does then!!

Haha wish I'd known that weeks ago as I might have had everything sorted out by now! I was phoning just the once and getting answer phone so left it. Did call repeatedly today though and she finally answered :D

Haha wish I'd known that weeks ago as I might have had everything sorted out by now! I was phoning just the once and getting answer phone so left it. Did call repeatedly today though and she finally answered :D

And?? Everything sorted???

Oh and have you thought about emailing Sufi and asking about the ED appointment? Apparently he is pretty good at responding to emails. Just explain to him how you feel about the band vs bypass and ask him whether he absolutely needs you to have the ED appointment. In the meantime just continue trying to get it booked!!!

And?? Everything sorted???

Oooops sorry, I'd updated my previous post before I realised you'd posted after me .....

...... Yayyy!!! ....finally got through at the 4th attempt! She's going to try and call my PCT today to find out what she needs to do to apply for the funding as she's never dealt with them before, so fingers crossed!

I'm just hoping the fact she hasn't applied to Cambs PCT before isn't going to cause any further problem. Theoretically it should be a very straight forward application as I qualify for funding based on their criteria which they automatically fund, so should get an immediate decision! We'll see!! lol ;)

Oh and have you thought about emailing Sufi and asking about the ED appointment? Apparently he is pretty good at responding to emails. Just explain to him how you feel about the band vs bypass and ask him whether he absolutely needs you to have the ED appointment. In the meantime just continue trying to get it booked!!!

Yes, I did consider emailing him but thought I'd wait until my Jan appt to see if it's him I see then I can ask him there and then. That's another reason I've got to shift this half a stone before then just in case he weighs me!! lol

Hi Twiggie, so pleased u got through to Lorna and fingers crossed for your funding. Each time u have a app at the Whit u will be weighed, i can email u the pre op diet if u want to do it for 10 days to just lose a big chunk of weight b4 u see Mr S.
Take care x

Hi Twiggie, so pleased u got through to Lorna and fingers crossed for your funding. Each time u have a app at the Whit u will be weighed, i can email u the pre op diet if u want to do it for 10 days to just lose a big chunk of weight b4 u see Mr S.
Take care x

Oh yes please Roch, that would be fab!!! I'll PM you my email addy :D

How are you today hun? I'm feeling more positive than I did the other day but still in a low mood generally, but that's not unusual at this time of year for me. Everything just seems to be twice as much effort and hibernating under the duvet is far too appealing ;)

Thanks hun xxx

Oooops sorry, I'd updated my previous post before I realised you'd posted after me .....

...... Yayyy!!! ....finally got through at the 4th attempt! She's going to try and call my PCT today to find out what she needs to do to apply for the funding as she's never dealt with them before, so fingers crossed!

I'm just hoping the fact she hasn't applied to Cambs PCT before isn't going to cause any further problem. Theoretically it should be a very straight forward application as I qualify for funding based on their criteria which they automatically fund, so should get an immediate decision! We'll see!! lol ;)

Yes, I did consider emailing him but thought I'd wait until my Jan appt to see if it's him I see then I can ask him there and then. That's another reason I've got to shift this half a stone before then just in case he weighs me!! lol

Hope you don't mind me asking but what is the gastro clinic??

Oh yes please Roch, that would be fab!!! I'll PM you my email addy :D

How are you today hun? I'm feeling more positive than I did the other day but still in a low mood generally, but that's not unusual at this time of year for me. Everything just seems to be twice as much effort and hibernating under the duvet is far too appealing ;)

Thanks hun xxx

All done hun,emailed it to ya bout 5 mins ago, i am ok just plodding on day by day just wish i was not in so much pain as this adds to my depression 10 fold.
Hope things ru smoothly for u for the rest of ur journey, take care xx

Back