• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCT said no no no :(

Haylee202

Hi, i have been on anti depressants since the birth of my second child who is nearlly six, due to the excess skin around my tummy. I joined weight watchers 6 weeks ago and lost a stone already. I am also joined to 2 gyms which i attend regulary to tone my body. The gym isnt working, or so it seems. I have the dreaded "apron" happening and it is disgusting. I hate it. I have visited my dr and he has tried to open a case for me to have a tummy tuck but my local PCT have said no :( I cant explain how i feel about it. Im not sure where to turn to next. My dr has thought of someting else i can try but my appointment with him isnt until next monday. He had suggested i contact my local MP but i was wondering if anyone has any advice to help me change thier minds. I would be eternally grateful xx

There is a lady on here (Trinaweena?) who is having an NHS FTT very soon, and from what I recall she had to appeal to get funding, so hopefully she'll be along soon to give you some advice :D

Hi Haylee,
All is not lost, please believe me when I say this because I know exactly how you are feeling I was totally heartbroken and then the next emotion was anger because I needed my FTT due to constant severe skin infections inbetween my folds and having to spend most of my life on strong antibiotics. I appealed and won and you must do the same, you must appeal as around 95%of all referrals end up been turned down and around 75% of appeals are successful.
If you need anymore help then please just ask
Take care
Trina xxxxx

I feel for you. You should appeal their decision. Trina has lots of sound advice on FTT. sorry i can't help you any further but keep fighting and try to keep positive x

Thank you for the positive comments. I have been reading through the site and im not sure whether an appeal will work. Ok i have the dreaded "apron" of skin, but i dont have any sores and although im disgusted with it, i dont get any infections. Will the PCT see it as just cosmetic surgery and see it as not needed. Im 28 this weekend and i have 2 children. I have been on anti depressants since having my youngest who is nearlly six, and i have been married for 3 years.
My husband says he loves me no matter what, but i know that he see's what i see, and believe me, its digusting. Our sex life is nil and i know thats my fault because i hate the way i look and am very insecure. Im just worried the PCT will just suggest keeping me on the tablets which i dont want to feel like a zombie any more.

Have the PCT given a reason for their refusal, is it that you don't meet their criteria or that they just don't fund this type of procedure?

I only know what the dr has told me and he didnt say either of them. I would imagine that i didnt fit their criteria, which makes me wonder what state you have to be in before they will even consider. Does anyone know???

Hi I would argue that the depression would improve if you had the op therefore you own mental health would be better! I would ask for the reason for refusal and fight them all the way! x

I have an appointment with my doctor again on Monday. im gonna make a list of questions to ask i think because as soon as i get there i seem to get soooooo embarassed about the state of myself i tend to just agree wit whatever he says. Well not this time, im gonna prepare for it so if anyone has any suggestions on what to ask i will be more than happy to accept them xx

Thank you, i am definately not going to let this go. Having this done would change my life forever and im going to let them know it.

Hi Haylee

Go in on Monday armed with fact and reasoning, the fact your on anti depresents becuase of this has to count, its clearly affecting your health, happyness and well being.
I'm afraid your also going to have to face your fears with humiliation and tell him everything, its affecting not only your health but your marital life too, i.e sexual relationship with your husband ! it will all count, but you have to swallow your pride and speak up !

Rgds
Richard

Thank you richard, you hit the nail on the head. I am going to tell all no matter how humiliating it is for me. I was very out going person (before the birth of my children) and loved to laugh, but i am quite shy about personal things. But im promising myself to speak out monday and get everything in the open and make sure the dr realises how much this will change my life xx

Haylee a friend of mine wrote her dr a letter about how she was feeling as she knew that she could get it over better in print than verbally. It may help to write it all down and take it along just in case you dry up and cant tell him warts and all.
HTH
HC

Thank you richard, you hit the nail on the head. I am going to tell all no matter how humiliating it is for me. I was very out going person (before the birth of my children) and loved to laugh, but i am quite shy about personal things. But im promising myself to speak out monday and get everything in the open and make sure the dr realises how much this will change my life xx

Good for you Hayley, i know facing these things is not easy, i used the collective positivity of this forum to get me through my pre op worries.
HC is right, write it all down and give him hell :D
Please let us know how you get on !

Richard

Hi Hayley,For you your op would not be for cosmetic surgery, I would say it's a medical reason because of the depression it ccauses you and the treatment you need for your depression eg tablets etc, by having this op you are improving your quality of life and your self esteem and confidence.I also wrote a letter to the PCT, my PS and my GP.(even though he PCT say if you write a letter to them, then hey won' take it into consideration but they DO)Your Gp should help you fight this.It's not an easy battle but you WILL win if you don't let them grind you down and let you give in, you must be strong and fight it.I really hope that your appt with your GP goes well for you and keep us informedake careTrina xxxxxx

You really need to know their reasons for refusal, before you can fight back. I have lost just over 5 stone and my pct refused on the grounds that I need to maintain my weight loss for a year. So I'm going to reapply again next year. My pct sent me, and my gp a letter advising the reasons of the refusal. Ask your Gp to get the pct to send a copy of all correspondence so you know whats going on.

Good luck with the doc on Monday and don't give up, fight them all the way.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for all your responses, are the PCT able to look into my records and see how long and what tablets i am/have been on or is it upto my doctor to tell them everything?

Back