• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCT said no no no :(

I think it's up to your gp, because when my doc referred me the pct wrote back requesting more info on me.

Oh no, you must be so frustrated! It's so annoying because other ops are funded, yet anything like this is fobbed off as 'cosmetic' surgery!

Keep positive and I agree, fight them hun. Best of luck x x x

I am trying to get banding on the NHS, the PCT said no go to weight management for two years, already been trying with my doc for over two years, so he has written back again. Saw the consultant at the weight loss clinic and he was going to put me on reductil again and 300 cals diet. I spoke to him and told him the person I am inside is not the same as the one I see on the outside, I feel chatty and confident and then catch sight of my fat body and instantly clam up and feel self concious. He is wanting to know if I lose weight will the person on the inside return and I have to see a pyschologist to convince them. All is not lost for you or for me. You need to be honest and tell them exactly how it makes you feel. Honesty is the best policy...keep on going, when it gets tough turn to us on here because thats what I do and they all really help....Linda x

Thank you Linda, i felt as if i had written that witout even knowing, i know im not the only person who feels like i do and i am very grateful for everyone suggestions, i really am. Roll on Monday!!

Hi Haylee.

After I had given birth to my first born I had gained 5st which I since lost and because of that and 2 c-sections I have been left with a horrible overhang of excess skin. It's the bane of my life hun it really is so I know exactly where you're coming from. We have been able to change the way we look through diet and exercise but the excess skin is beyond our control. It is so depressing.

I've had a couple of infections but stupidly never went to the GP because of embarrassment in letting someone see my horrible tummy.

Eventually something prompted me to go to my GP and ask about a TT. She wrote to our local NHS plastis surgery clinic and they responded with a questionnaire asking things like what my BMI was before I lost weight, what it is now, whether or not I smoke, how long I have kept the weight off.

After answering the questions my GP told me I fit the criteria and we would need the go-ahead from the PCT.

That was a couple of months ago and I have recently received an appointment for a consultation with a member of the plastic surgery team.

I don't know if this means the PCT have said already yes or if I need to convince the surgeon to fight my corner with the PCT but I do feel it is a step in the right direction.

I do know that all PCTs are different and so it's a bit of a postcode lottery but as Trina has said, most PCTs refuse first time and quite a lot of appeals get accepted.

Don't give in hun. This is obviously really affecting your life in a massive way. Not everyone realises this and only you can make them open their eyes by being honest about what this does to you.

Wishing you the best of luck for Monday.
Xx

Thank you :) im going to do my best monday and tell all to my doctor and ask him to tell all to my local PCT. Wish me luck!!

Good on ya Haylee! Don't hold anything back no matter how embarrassed you feel. Good luck wishes again and don't forget to keep us posted on how it goes. :)

Xx

I have prepared myself with what im going to say, even got tissues in my bag already because i know im going to get emotional! I want this sooooo bad that im not going to give up easily, i hope the doctor's going to be ready for me lol

Hiya
As other have said dont give up.

What your next step should be is.
Get someone close to you to write to the pct explaining about your depression and how bad it is.

Making sure they know that you dont go out due to being so deeply depressed and realy rub it in.
End it off with a threat that if anything happends to you as trying to take your life or taking your life , that every step will be taken to get jutice for the great lose etc etc.

this will work keep badgering them and they will cave in. although they will try and put you off untill the next financial year being the next april.

This is how i got my operation as i didnt meet their requirements.

I hope this help and ill keep my fingers crossed.

Mark

p.s im sorry if my tatics offend some people i know maybe my morals are lowish.
But i value life of my self and others mor ethen just a lump of money.

we only get one life they can print some more money

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Mark - you KNEW someone would come back about this didn't you??:sigh: Otherwise you wouldn't have added the PS.

Yes, you only get one life but YOU have made yours how it is. ;) If it's only just a "lump of money" why are you recommending people should "rub it in" and exaggerate their depression so they get this free on the NHS? Why can't they beg or borrow this "lump" and pay for it themselves?

I truly have no bad feelings about you or the OP but I think if you posted this on any other forum, people would be queuing up to have their say!! We all know the NHS is overstretched and everyone feels they are equally deserving but I personally could not sleep at night if I thought my exaggerations/pestering would deprive, say, a cancer patient of life-prolonging drugs.

I didnt take offence to what mark said and i would never lie to get surgery, i have been on anti depressants for nearlly 6 years now and would like nothing better than to be rid of them and my "apron" skin, if the PCT refuse me again i would HAVE (because i cannot live like this) to find the money, even if it means getting out a loan.

I wasn't going to post on this but feel I want to.

Basically I had a lot of loose skin when I finished the diet and was lucky enough that my PCT did fund the tummy tuck and I had it done in June 2007.

Now I did have a lot of problems afterwards with pockets of blood and also general scar not healing etc and was back under the knife 2 weeks ago to have a bit of it resealed!

Anyway I know some people have it done and are totally happy with the results but for me I believed if I had the operation that it would make me happy but to be frank I replaced loose skin that nobody saw but me with a nice 19" scar that nobody saw but me, i was just as unhappy!

Therefore my honest advice is if you NEED the operation for medical reasons i.e. it is getting infected or not nice then absolutely but if you truelly think that having a tummy tuck will bring happyness then i can only tell you that for me it made absolutely no difference.

Mike

Mark i think you make a very valid point there. My friend lost over 10 stone thinking it would make he marrige better she then was left with the loose skin and had that removed but her marrige still remained a very tentative affair. £25k later she has just got divorsed and has never been happier. Like you say thinking that one particular thing is making you unhappy isnt always the answer.
HC

Mike - that is a VERY honest post. ;)

I know a woman who had a bypass op, followed by a tummy tuck and also all the excess skin removed from inside her arms. She is now waiting to have inside her thighs done.

She was a miserable person before her first op and she is just as miserable now and I can't imagine she will be happier after her final op.

For me I went in search of something I was never going to find as that was the body of the 20 year old who got big and hence never had the "body"

Was never going to happen!

Now I don't care what I look like as I am just me but had to have a major operation to find that out :-(

M.

mike going off first impressions from your looks and yr newsletters you have nothing to worry about. You can certainly give most 20yr olds i know a run for their money.lol

Haylee - I didn't imagine for a minute you would be offended by Mark's post.

A woman I know was refused the op too a few years ago. She had had 5 kids fairly quickly and gained a lot of weight. She then completed her family and lost about 4 stones but was left with this huge apron of skin. I know what you're saying, because she was also told that no amount of exercise would shrink hers.

She went back to college and did a course and set up her own business grooming dogs. She borrowed some money and saved all her profits from her work and had it done about a year later. She had to stop work for a couple of months though to get over her op because she couldn't lift etc. She's OK now though.

Hi flo

not a rant just trying to explain my feelings

I would'nt say lie about it but you have to goto the extream when talking about depression because we are all just a number to people who make choices on what we get funds for.

And any one who has not had depression has no idea what it is like. and i mean no idea what so ever.
so i dont see how they can refuse someone from having a operation they deserve and need .

And as for money if the govenment can dish out £1000's for drug addicts to get over somethings they inject or funding the 1000's of immagrants then im sure they can find a few £1000 for us.

I also think that if the mp's can RENT flowers etc for a building at a cost of £150k per annum i have no problem in taking funds for something i need and i feel everyone who needs something doing gets funds.
Its not just vanity its life.

As ive mentioned before i got refused 2 times on the second time i was given the funding and then it was taken back. this put me over the edge and i tried to take my life.
now for a measle £4600 1 life would have been gone and 1 wife widowed 2 kids fatherless.

In basic where does the buck stop who has the right to say you die you live because thats where we all can be on this part of the forum.

Im saying all this because i dont want people to give up and when the tables are tipped against you its very easy to give up.

If smokers, druggies and alcoholics can get help...then why can't we???

If someone had lung cancer and they had smoked 40 a day, all their adult lives, should the PCT refuse them funding for treatment...? That's my 2 penneth anyway lol x

Back