• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please Define dumping ?

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i dont seem to of had any problems at all with anything ive consumed so far, at the most ive felt sleepy after eating, is this dumping or just normal tiredness with me not being used to a bypass yet? i was told dumping can be any thing from feeling sleepy/dizzy to having the sweats, vomitting, shakes and or the trotts, seems if any thing i will be only a mild dumper, does this mean i was bypassed less so will be less likley to dump? sorry for all the questions......but im open to re learn again, and yeah ive tryed booze and i dont dump from that either, does this make me 1 of the lucky or unlucky ones :confused:

Cheers .......from Liz x

Hi Liz it dosnt sound like dumping hun,I think you would know if you had.I have just been reading about it and its a huge surge of Insulin,in reaction to anything too sweet or high in refined carbs.Mind you I would rather dump than be able to eat anything I shoudnt!How are you doing and how is your neice?Maz x

I call what happens to me a "mini dump". I get hot, nauseous, palpitations and feel really tired and weak. I've never vomited, but then i am rarely sick as i have a vomiting phobia. Also i've never pushed my luck too far either due to the fear of vomiting.
As you know i am quite tolerant of fats, so a bit of butter or cream doesn't make me ill - its just sweet stuff.
Interestingly i seem to have become less tolerant over time, so it may get worse for you too.
The dumping isn't about the length of the bypass, its because we've lost the valve at the bottom of our stomachs that slows down the rate that the food leaves it. Because it rushes into the intestine, the body boosts its insulin production and sends loads of water to the intestine to cope with it, which causes the symptoms
It sounds like you're having some dumping symptoms but not all of them yet. It might depend on the quantity of what you've eaten. you might not have eaten enough to make you really ill.
How's things going anyway, i never got the chance to chat about your wls on Saturday (far, far too drunk lol) what food stage are you at ?

Hi Liz it dosnt sound like dumping hun,I think you would know if you had.I have just been reading about it and its a huge surge of Insulin,in reaction to anything too sweet or high in refined carbs.Mind you I would rather dump than be able to eat anything I shoudnt!How are you doing and how is your neice?Maz x

im doing good thanks i seem to be able tollerate some sugar in my diet x

My Neice Sarah had her boobs and arms done yesterday (7th dec plastics), shes in a bad way with pain and has needed a blood transfusion as she lost lots during surgery, shes passed out a couple of times due to excessive pain, im hoping tomorrow will be a better day for my Sarah x

I call what happens to me a "mini dump". I get hot, nauseous, palpitations and feel really tired and weak. I've never vomited, but then i am rarely sick as i have a vomiting phobia. Also i've never pushed my luck too far either due to the fear of vomiting.
As you know i am quite tolerant of fats, so a bit of butter or cream doesn't make me ill - its just sweet stuff.
Interestingly i seem to have become less tolerant over time, so it may get worse for you too.
The dumping isn't about the length of the bypass, its because we've lost the valve at the bottom of our stomachs that slows down the rate that the food leaves it. Because it rushes into the intestine, the body boosts its insulin production and sends loads of water to the intestine to cope with it, which causes the symptoms
It sounds like you're having some dumping symptoms but not all of them yet. It might depend on the quantity of what you've eaten. you might not have eaten enough to make you really ill.
How's things going anyway, i never got the chance to chat about your wls on Saturday (far, far too drunk lol) what food stage are you at ?

Ah, that sounds very familiar - I've had similar "mini-dumps" very soon after I've had an excess of sugar. I've only had one major dump and that was 3 hours after eating a piece of cake. I seem more tolerant of fats than sugar.

Liz as you and others have mentioned there are degrees of dumping, I don't dump as such can feel nauseous at times if i eat something too sweet, fat doesn't bother me either! Some people favour not dumping but some also wish they would for control. I just need to be aware of being a little bit more careful and i can drink alcohol too so whatever you are i am too lol! So sorry to hear about Srah please pass on my love to her xx

:)Good question Liz (tried to rep you for posting it-but not sure I did?)

I've not really pushed my luck yet - but all I've suffered is episodes of"rabid dog" frothing after eating too quickly/too much OR.....
- is the excess saliva/retching a form of dumping I wonder???

Hi Liz - your 'dumping' (if that's what it is) sounds very much like mine. The first time I ate a yoghurt after the op I could barely keep my eyes open and HAD to go to bed and sleep, luckily this has only happened twice but occasionally I do feel sleepy after eating certain foods.
I don't have any of the other symptoms, sweaty, nausea etc. and can eat anything (within reason). Not sure if thats a good thing or not......
Hope you're feeling ok after the op.

Feeling sleepy can be sign of mild dumping, although as you say, it could be just typical post-meal tiredness, as a full-on dumping episode tends to be more extreme as you say...vomiting, upset tum, dizzyness, sweats etc. I don't think it's a case of whether your intestinal bypass is 'shorter' than anyone else's, I think it really is a highly individual thing from person to person. You may find you eat something quite high in sugar one day & you'll be fine, but try the same thing again a few days later but you'll be ill. Diabetics often don't dump because they typically have a higher blood glucose level than non-diabetics, so I think blood glucose levels prior to eating can have an affect xxxx

im doing good thanks i seem to be able tollerate some sugar in my diet x

My Neice Sarah had her boobs and arms done yesterday (7th dec plastics), shes in a bad way with pain and has needed a blood transfusion as she lost lots during surgery, shes passed out a couple of times due to excessive pain, im hoping tomorrow will be a better day for my Sarah x

OMG!!!!! Liz, I'm soooo sorry about Sarah. Please pass on my best wishes & let me know how she gets on.

Sorry I wasn't at your night out on Saturday but it was supposed to be my works Xmas party (free ;)). It was cancelled last minute due to the weather. Let me know if there are any more nights out planned.

i dont seem to of had any problems at all with anything ive consumed so far, at the most ive felt sleepy after eating, is this dumping or just normal tiredness with me not being used to a bypass yet? i was told dumping can be any thing from feeling sleepy/dizzy to having the sweats, vomitting, shakes and or the trotts, seems if any thing i will be only a mild dumper, does this mean i was bypassed less so will be less likley to dump? sorry for all the questions......but im open to re learn again, and yeah ive tryed booze and i dont dump from that either, does this make me 1 of the lucky or unlucky ones :confused:

Cheers .......from Liz x
Hi Liz, It has been six weeks now since op and I have not had any problem with eating or drinking anything! Some things obviously go down better than others, but like I mentioned in a previous thread, my body warns me if I begin to experience fullness, sickness, etc. As usual, everything in moderation. I have had bouts of feeling 'sick' after occasional foods, but that is it. A lie-down for 20mts usually cures that if practicable. Re alcohol, I have had the odd glass of vino, small measure of dark rum, again - no problem. Re sweets, again a few chocs or boiled sweets does not present a problem. The times I have overdone it then I get the feeling of being full, sickness and tired. That is my alarm bell! It is a really big learning curve, but exciting as well. Like the consultant Mr Schroeder said, 'No more dieting for you Mr Clay'! It was lovely to hear that after all those years living by that regime, now I feel like a 'new person'. I repeat as advice to others - Listen to your body, it will let you know when you are going wrong! I sometimes think that people on the site take too much notice of other threads. We are all individuals and whilst it is lovely to get the support and advice of others, I think some people need to 'get to grips' with their new lifestyle and experience new foods, etc. in their own way. We have discussed this previously as you know.
Regards - Paul xx

So sorry to hear about Sarah, hope she is getting stronger by the day Liz, what an awful worry for you all Angel.

The feelings that you describe sound so similar to my diabetic feelings of nausea etc.... it's going to be interesting to make a comparison post surgery... but I'm living with nausea and balance, dizzy issues now, so I'm hoping it may help to prepare me for the days ahead.

Do hope you are feeling better everyone and J Mo our Jacci.... do hope you are getting some relief, it's no fun when you have to work with these awful sickness symptoms.

Loving hugs to all as always xxx

Hi Liz

I dont have the answers but just wanted to pass on my best wishes to Sarah, hope she gets better soon x

Liz

I cant really help with the dumping as I dont really get it. Sometimes wish i did then it would put me off having a piece of chocolate or something naughty. But saying that i do stop before I go to far.

Send my love to sarah I know what she is going tho coz it was my arms that hurt the most. If I can be of any help to her let me know as it was only August time I went thru it.

Sounds like you have taken to a bypass like duck to water keep up the good work

All the best
Jo
xx

I call what happens to me a "mini dump". I get hot, nauseous, palpitations and feel really tired and weak. I've never vomited, but then i am rarely sick as i have a vomiting phobia.
thats just how i feel too Jayne so i must be mini dumping, since my bypass ive never been sick either which is a huge change for me from banding i love that part of being a bypasser.
Also i've never pushed my luck too far either due to the fear of vomiting.

brilliant info thanks x

im fine i was majorly ratted as well on Sat night :eek:... im ahead on my food stages im on soft to normal diet and as i say the most that happens is i get sleepy and a bit woosy, ive lost another 2llbs this week which in total takes me to a loss of 21 llbs, not as fast as some but i dont mind its happening much quicker than it did for me with banding. Im in no hurry to lose it quickly and im more than happy with my progress xxx

OMG!!!!! Liz, I'm soooo sorry about Sarah. Please pass on my best wishes & let me know how she gets on.

Sarahs arm drains have been taken out today and the breast ones tomorrow, so hopefully she should be allowed home tomorrow, her pain is a little easier she says her arms hurt the most but this is to be expected., Sarah sends her Love to everyone here on the forum xxx

Sorry I wasn't at your night out on Saturday but it was supposed to be my works Xmas party (free ;)). It was cancelled last minute due to the weather. Let me know if there are any more nights out planned.

i will deffo let you know when our next social event is :D

Liz xxx

Liz

I cant really help with the dumping as I dont really get it. Sometimes wish i did then it would put me off having a piece of chocolate or something naughty. But saying that i do stop before I go to far.

Send my love to sarah I know what she is going tho coz it was my arms that hurt the most. If I can be of any help to her let me know as it was only August time I went thru it.

Sounds like you have taken to a bypass like duck to water keep up the good work

All the best
Jo
xx

Hiya Jo i will let Sarah know that you have been through the same op, thankyou for being so supportive, ive taken to the bypass remarkably well...much better than i thought i would. I was so frightened of my convertion but i just love it now and wish i had of done it last time rather than going band 2 band.

:) Hope to see you in the new year......Liz xxx

Hiya

Its good that you like it and you are getting on so well. After the years of a band it must be a whole new life to learn again.

As I say I would love to help Sarah as both of you have been an inspiration to me since I started my new life and would love to give something back. Mind you that goes to everyone too

Jo
xx

Back