• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help me convince my OH

Just to update you - have seen the consultant and he's happy to do the surgery. Husband came with me and asked LOTS of questions and feels happier about it........thank god
The surgeon has suggested the sleeve tho after hearing husbands concerns so not sur now which way to go and the more I look into the more confused I get.
But he did say when I have decided I'll only have to wait a couple of weeks for the op :0)

Thanks shelleymarie - I weigh 20st 7lb ish and 5'5"
What WLS did you have you are doing amazing :0)
I think he is coming round to the idea very slowly and knows I'll make the decision. We chatted last night and I was honest about my 'secret' eating and he was quite disgusted on what I admitted I ate in one day. He doesn't understand being overweight he's slim build and a triathlete so has never worried.
I am surprisingly active for my size I actually did the London triathlon this year!!! But I am in constant pain in my feet and struggle to walk in a morning
He even tried ambushing my parents but when my mum agreed something drastic is now needed he backed down.
I am lucky that I am healthy, I have no other problems (besides being obese) so the surgery does not worry me so much.
I'm rambling now lol!
I will report back to you lovely ladies tonight as it's appointment day 4.55pm i can't wait .....eeeekkkkkk

I had a bypass and it was the best thing I've ever done. It's great you are still active, well done for fighting through the pain but our bodies can only take it so long so I think it's very sensible to fight the problem before it causes long term damage. Wish I had as I have bad joint pain left over from being big. It's great your mum is supportive too. I'm sure your OH will come around when he has time to adjust. I lot of partners worry about it from an emotionally aspect too. I think it can be a big fear that you will lose weight and go off with out them so reassurance in all areas is important. It's a big change for you both. Hope the appointment went well :)

I also was quite active, even at my heaviest. If I had taken action when I was 'just 20 stone' (!) I would have avoided serious damage to my knees, not to mention developing sleep apnoea. I think partners worry about the risk, but also whether a change in us will affect the relationship. Just keep talking to him - he won't change his mind overnight, but he will come round, especially once you've actually had the op.

Hi! Just been reading through your posts. I had a sleeve dec 2011 and have now lost over 6.5 stone. Started at 16 stone 3, now 9.5. I am just recovering from a tummy tuck op. I have gone from size 24 top/22 bottom to 12 top/10 bottom. I have 2 boys. I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 11 and my motivation was to be around for them, and not be the biggest mum at the school gate.

I chose the sleeve because it doesn't involve the malabsorption of the bypass, or the adjustments of the band. The sleeve restricts your portion size, but I can have the odd sweet treat, which isn't always possible with a bypass as it can cause dumping. The way I looked at it was the sleeve enabled me to lose the weight by restricting portion size, and by losing weight I can now exercise which helps in the long run to maintain.

I think (but this isn't based on any research!!) that if you are healthy before surgery, you are less likely to have complication? A lot of people having the surgery have several complications making it riskier.

Good luck with your decision.

Crackers x

Hi Emma,

I'm pleased your OH came with you and got a chance to ask questions. I wanted to have the sleeve, that would have been my first choice, but for me the surgeon recommended the bypass. Which is ultimately the route I choose. Think of what you want, do research and make the decision thats right for you, not anyone else.

Good luck,

Jen xx

Back