• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Bypass Weightloss

lucyh

Had my bypass 12 days ago and have just realised that in spite of all my careful eating, drinking plenty etc, I think I've only lost 2 lbs. Having looked at the other posts, I think most people seem to do much better. Where am I going wrong? Most days I probably have 500 - 600 calories all in liquid form - usually a mixture of soup, skimmed milk and yoghurt drinks. Any advice gratefully received.

Lucyh, you might think you've only lost 2lbs but i'm guessing you are wrong! Your body is still full of anaesthetic and gas from your surgery, also not only do you have that to contend with but your body is also very aware that the gravy train has stopped and thinks you are starving so it's holding onto its reserves... Be patient it will start again xx

Hi Lucy, we all vary so much precious, I gained 5lbs at first... so we all are so different... rest, relax, recover and keep sipping Angel, it's early days and your body will still be reeling from all of the recent trauma... love and hugs on their way to you xxx

Last edited:
Bev is very right, the only thing you should be concentrating on right now is resting, drinking and getting your strength back up! If i was you i wouldn't look at the scales for at least another 2 weeks, you may be very surprised at what you find :) xx

Lucy, I didn't rest enough for the first few days home and it eventually caught up with me... I found the drinking of water and fluids and gently getting your system to return to functioning was the vital early days goal... I'd rest as much as you are able, this last week, it's killed me to keep my eyes open, it gets us eventually, it's major surgery and it can take a lot out of us Angel... Relax, rest and delegate.. as much as you can love, we are at your side, even me with my weary head on! Love and hugs precious xxx

Congratulations on your bypass, its hard not to judge yourself with others losses but believe me your body will kick into gear soon. Happy healing xxx

Thanks everyone - you're right, so now I've told my husband to hide the scales. I think I got too obsessional!

The first few weeks is mostly about keeping hydrated rather than eating enough calories and you are recovering. You wont always loose any weight each week there are always stalls and plateaus. Dont panic. I only weight myself at most twice a month, the scales can become addictive and it can become very upsetting when you dont see the numbers go down everytime you weigh, the less you do it the more it evens out and the more often you will see a lower number when you do weigh. x

It's one of those things that is individual again, Mixxy weighs himself very often to keep in touch, I'm weighing once weekly now, but will end up going to once a month eventually...

I thought the pre op was particularly tough going and just getting my head around what suits me now... I'm learning, but the water is probably the most important aspect as Zoe says, hydration and liquids early on, plus rest... I should have taken more looking back...

Love and hugs xxx

Thanks everyone - you're right, so now I've told my husband to hide the scales. I think I got too obsessional!

Good for you!! You have had some good advice from the others which I agree with completely and in a few weeks it will probably be a different picture altogether :D Take care and recovery at your own pace XX

Just remember 2 lbs that is gone forever!
I think we all become obsessional with scales. I certainly did, I moved them from place to place, weighted naked first thing every morning. Weighted last thing at night and somedays even inbetween! It was ridiculous. Now I weigh once a week (or occasionally twice lol).
Also as a result of op you will have swelling which will probably be excess fluid. So you are doing well. Keep going. Weight loss will come. REST AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi & Welcome! I had my gastric bypass January 24,2011 & I've been obessed with the scales also. I finally just realize that # doesn't mean anything. My cloths are looser, my face is thinner & everyone comments on how good I look! :D
I still find myself wanting certain #s & have to remind myself its NOT a race! lol
As long as we do what we're suppose to the weight will come off, & everyone is SO different we can't compare, though I always do & my head starts telling me I'm doing something wrong or its not working (like every other diet I've been on) lol
Remember water protien, vits, & rest!
You'll do gr8
Look forward to sharing storys of our weight loss journey
<3 Brandi

Rest up luv and enjoy your bypass, don't worry too much about the scales and concerntrate on what amrac says above ..... Water, protein, vitamins and rest, then in a few months time itl b ...... Water, protein, vitamins and exercise so just rest up n relax for now Hun xxxx

Woke up this morning - no scales! But then remembered all your kind words of encouragement and felt so much better. Wish I'd found this site earlier. Anyway had my last Clexane injection and took off my dressings (as instructed) and am planning a short walk this morning. Am due at the WLS clinic in a week's time so will leave the weigh-in till then.

Hi,
If I could advise anything,it would be not to have any scales in the house!
I got rid of mine,they cause much upset.
I'm 5 months post op and have lost 5.2 stone,and I've had a six week stall where I lost nothing.
At the start just worry about getting better and healing,your definitely going to lose weight there's no doubt about that.
I was one of these people who thought the bypass wouldn't work for.
And I've Gone from sz 26 to 16/18 sometimes a 14.
So just rest, gentle walking and enjoy!

Scales are really difficult. Yesterday my husband told me the reason I wasn't losing weight is because I'm eating too much - ie about 500 cals a day. This was at the time whe I was serving him up moussaka and garlic bread. It really hacked me off. What you weigh I recognise isn't the be all and end all but sadly my clothes aren't particularly looser either.

500cals is too much? Hubby deserves a slap for that one! Anything less than 900cals will put you in starvation mode and cause little or no losses!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Scales are still hidden. I don't really think I'm losing much but I'm hydrated and going for 2 mile walks and I've even worked 2 days this week- I only work PT and if I don't work I don't get paid. Needless to say I need the money - that op has made me very poor!

Put the scales away for a week. The nutritionist from WLS FINALLY rang y'day and she said I should weigh myself once a week. Seems reasonable so I did this morning and I've lost 3 lbs inthose 6 days. So pleased. Not as much as others I know but now I'm under 200 lbs Whoopee!

Back