• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op liquid diet . . .concerns about amounts

top_kat

I had my surgery on thursday, and had a band fitted. No restriction as my provider doesn't do any until 5 weeks post surgery.

Have no problem with fluids etc at the time or on friday when I came home and no actual problem physically getting them down.

I don't suffer any pain when I drink, altho I find that things such as a cup of tea are easier than say soup. However, I have a list from my provider which details what I should be having each day, and I just cannot get anywhere near that, and in fact have to really stop and make myself have something.

Basically 4 items off my protein list, which involves milk, whey powder, yoghurt, soup etc, with 1-2 items off my "limited list" which also includes soup, 150ml fruit juice, oxo/stock cube (blegh!) glass veg juice, low fat actimel, hot choc, or some soft fruit in a smoothie. I can have unlimited still water, NAS juice, tea and decaf coffee.

However, I am finding that because I do not feel in the slightest bit hungry, or thirsty very often, if I am thirsty I will try and have some milk rather than water or squash, because if I do, then I can't actually get any milk stuff down.

I had a milky coffee this morning as I had to head to Wales to take my son to football and I've been full up from that ALL day. I've managed a few sips of water, and I've just literally had 150ml of home made soup which I didn't really want.

Im not experiencing pain, (apart from where 2 of my scares are quite tight and itchy but no pain when drinking), no regurgitation, although my stomach does feel bloated from the surgery gas, and I've bought some deflatine today to see if it will help it.

He said I wouldn't feel hungry, but I'm not at all. But neither am I feeling thirsty.

As such, Friday I consumed about 300ml milk, the rest water, I did spend a fair amount of time sleeping cos of the anaesthetic and travelling home.

Yesterday I had a yoghurt, about 150 ml milk and 100ml of soup, and water/NAS squash but only about 200ml.

So at the moment its maxing at maybe 250kcals which is incredibly low, but Im nowhere near being able to make the portion sizes that my provider has detailed for these next two weeks. Should I see it getting easier over the coming days? Is it because I'm still quite easy post op?

They will be giving me my follow up call on tuesday after the bank holiday and I will raise it then, and if I need to travel up to an appointment after 2 weeks I can do, but, I guess Im just a little concerned at just how non hungry or thirsty that I am and I am concerned that I'm just not taking on enough fluids. If I take on water then there's no way I can get any milk or any other of my protein 4 in, if I eat a yoghurt, it fills me up.

I know that the whole idea is that I wont feel hungry, but am just wondering if I should be concerned right now at just how little I am able to take on board?

Any suggestions or thoughts/experiences would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks so much, KAt x

wow. that was long apologies LOL

anyone? anyone any thoughts they can help with?

Hi Kat
Relax, relax, appetite will come I promise!! I didn't have any appetite for a few days post op, and had to remind myself to have my fluid food. I found it easier to have half a cup at a time - half a cup of soup slipped slowly, literally tea spoon at at time. Try to do your protein shakes as protein intake is important. After the first week I was getting more interested in what I was eating and by the end of 2nd week was ready for mushy diet. I am 3 weeks 3 days post surgery now and my appetite is getting back to normal. Finally got rid of shoulder pain yesterday and doing some on treadmill so feeling a but more hungry. Difficult as it is at the moment, concentrate on small amounts of nutritious liquid often and your appetite will begin to return. Have a good day. Tracey xxx

Thanks Tracey, I haven't got any protein shakes because they literally make me physically sick and I cannot stomach them, am wondering whether getting normal whey protein without any flavouring may help. But if it has any taste or feeling like the protein shakes does then I won't be able to stomach that either.

I had a glass of OJ this morning which was really nice, but that was 5 hours ago, and I neither feel hungry or thirsty in the slightest, its just a really odd feeling and even tho I didnt feel hungry on the milk diet, it wasn't a case of having to stop, think and physically take something because I needed it, and it just seems very odd.

The thought of eating anything isn't appealing in the slightest either . . .and that's something I wasn't quite expecting.

But thanks for replying, I am just wondering whether getting something like the protein water I saw mentioned on here a shot because at least I'm getting it in some form, and I find the water/squash easier to get down.

Hi Kat - you can mix the protein whey into yoghurts - I liked strawberries, protein mix, fat free vanilla yogurt or Total 0% greek yoghurt * whizzed into a smoothy and as it goes a bit frothy I ate it with a teaspoon. I also made some lollies out of some of this mixture which made my mouth feel nice and fresh when I didn't feel like much. Tracey xxx

Perhaps I'll have to venture into town to the health food shop to get some then . . .had a look in sainsburys yesterday when i ventured to get my deflatine lol but they only had flavoured powders and I cant stomach them at all . . .

Thanks so much Tracey! Hope you're doing ok!

Hi Kat, I have been exactly the same as you, I just don't fancy it and cant manage much. I am not achieving anywhere near as much as i was advised. I can only describe it as feeling 'sloshy' if i try to drink too much!
At the moment im having 2 slimfasts a day and some squash and sips of tea and coffee. I am fairly confident that things will go back to normal once all the healing has happened.

Hi it's normal when I had my band fitted I was feeling ok and could get tea and coffee down but soups I struggled just did not feel like it either I ended up having tomato juice with ice seemed to be better
Good luck

Kat I use myprotein.com for all the post op stuff I'm having. This looks brilliant, haven't tried it yet but like you was having a job finding unflavoured:

Impact Native Whey 95 | Myprotein.com

Impact Native Whey 95 is a premium quality whey protein isolate sourced directly from milk, providing a massive 95% protein content.

The unique manufacturing process of native whey involves extracting proteins directly from skimmed milk using membrane technologies at low temperature (microfiltration and ultrafiltration). This process ensures a more bioactive whey protein allowing your body to make more use of the valuable muscle building protein fractions. The low temperature process removes casein and fat leaving the purest, most biologically active whey protein.

Native whey also has a more impressive amino acid profile than cheese derived whey. In particular, native whey contains considerably higher levels of Leucine and Cystine. Leucine has been touted as the most important amino acid for tissue growth and repair (muscle synthesis), whilst Cystine is essential for the generation of Glutathione, the body's most effective antioxidant supporting immune function. All in all, native whey provides the potential for far superior tissue growth and repair.

The manufacturing process of native whey is completely enzyme free. And due to the fact that it is sourced directly from skimmed milk, it provides a much cleaner and more neutral taste.

Per 25g serving:
Energy: 390kJ
Energy: 93.75kcal
Protein (dry-basis): 23.8g
Protein (as-is): 22.8g
Carbohydrates: 0.05g
Fat: 0.1g
Calcium: 250mg

Now I have researched other protein powders that have as much as 95% but they don't maych this on low cal, low fat and low carbs and price.

Personaly Kat I wouldnt waste your money getting more protein shakes. The unflavoured are even worse than the flavoured - so if they make you sick (as they do me) the others will too.

I've tried the myprotein ones and they really upset my stomach. Its not as important for us banders to have as much protein at this stage.

Just have what you can manage or more importantly what you fancy until you get a bit more of an appetite. Its important to keep your fluids up so even if you keep sipping that will help.

I am moving this thread into the banders section, more us might see it then but dont worry, all sounds normal to me xx

Hi Kat, I have been exactly the same as you, I just don't fancy it and cant manage much. I am not achieving anywhere near as much as i was advised. I can only describe it as feeling 'sloshy' if i try to drink too much!
At the moment im having 2 slimfasts a day and some squash and sips of tea and coffee. I am fairly confident that things will go back to normal once all the healing has happened.

I had exactly the same as you truffle. Found the chocolate slim fast a bit sweet, so ended up using one heaped scoop in warm milk, which seemed to make it go down easier. Yum. Don't worry top kat you will still be suffering the after effects of surgery and the anaesthetic. Your apptite will return :)

Thanks everyone :)

I have to say this feeling of "fullness" is very strange and as such, I am only going to have something if I don't have that there.

I've had 50g yoghurt this morning (1/2 small pot) and now feel full and the stomach feels "blegh", so Im gonna go with the flow, have what I can, when I can, and try to keep my fluids up (water, NAS squash etc) until I get past this fluid only stage. Clear fluids I am fine with, everything else is like OMG I feel as if I've eaten 10 courses LOL

Gonna go back to skimmed milk as its thinner than semi skimmed, and see if that helps too :)

Back