• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PreAssessment Appointment - what to expect?

HelenAngelfish

Hey everyone,

I have my preassessment appointment Tuesday morning, not sure why I am nervous but I have no idea what to expect.

It will be the first time meeting the Surgeon (not sure who it will be yet - hoping for Mr Ahmed)

I've not heard anything since the education day on 23rd December, just got the letter confirming a preass appointment.

What happens at these? Do I just meet the Surgeon and Endrocrinologist?

Any experiances will be a great help!

Thanks! xx :)

Hi i had mines a few weeks ago and met with surgeon and he went over exactly what to expect from the op, went thru it step by step also told me what to expect afterwards. I then had lots of bloods taken and an ECG done. I'm on the list for a bypass. Hope this helps :) x

I should maybe mention that I'm in Scotland (not sure where you are) but the process seems to be different in England/Scotland x

Thanks! It went really well – All be it unorganised!
The Anaesthetist seemed to think a Bypass may suit me better - confused as not sure he would be able to say that but appreciated his opinion all the same
Surgeons were running late, so the registrars saw me. Told my bloods and ECG were perfect considering my weight (last taken on 23rd December). Asked which I would prefer and I said Sleeve as I had researched it more and the bypass scares me a little. She stated this would be a good choice for me, due to my age (on my side – 30 next month). She said if I was diabetic then she would say bypass, but feels either would be of benefit. So I choose the Sleeve and signed the consent forms!! :D
Asked if I would prefer a Surgeon, and although Mr Ahmed is most popular, I researched the whole team and would be happy with all of them – So stated I didn’t mind.
The dietitan wasn’t there – training course, so have to go on the 3rd March to see her, just to reconfirm any pre-op diet.
Psychologist on 12th March – To help with impact of procedure
Agreed to be a part of the ‘Fat Gene’ research too (interested in that sort of thing)
They confirmed they aimed to have everyone treated within 18 weeks of approval (they only send approved people to their sessions) and my paperwork said ‘13 weeks to end of pathway’.
Given a breathing machine to blow in, once my pre-op starts – All seems real now!! Eeeeeeek! xx

Wow sounds all go!! It's very exciting! I'm having a bypass and we are of similar age (29 last week) :) I can't wait. Are you nhs or private? I'm nhs. I had my psych assessment last week..jeez had to go over my whole life story - like right from birth. Was very In depth but good. I've also to go back to see my dietician to go over pre-op diet etc but just waiting for the appointment to come thru the door. I got a letter thru the post to say all my bloods were ok and I was put on the list as of 21st jan and that I am guaranteed to have had my surgery by 15th of April although my surgeon has said it should all be done and dusted in about 9 weeks (from 21st). You'll be counting down the days until your next appointments now :) x

Exciting isnt it!! :D Seems real now!

I'm NHS too, although had told myself it will be this year even if I have to get a loan/rob a bank, lol!!

Ive already been over the diet with her, but not an offical one-on-one so gotta have those... Hate talking about my life story, so wont be looking forwards to that! But I'll do anything for this!

I feel like my life has been on hold since I was 18, wasted the last 12 years of my life. Can't wait for this!! xx

Exciting isnt it!! :D Seems real now! I'm NHS too, although had told myself it will be this year even if I have to get a loan/rob a bank, lol!! Ive already been over the diet with her, but not an offical one-on-one so gotta have those... Hate talking about my life story, so wont be looking forwards to that! But I'll do anything for this! I feel like my life has been on hold since I was 18, wasted the last 12 years of my life. Can't wait for this!! xx[/QUOTE
It is very exciting altho still doesn't seen real to me! :) don't think it will until I'm in that hospital Hana. That's the same as me my dietician said he wanted me to do low carb high protein pre-op but don't have the full details until I see him again. Which one are you to do? Xx

I'm fine hun, still bit tired & cold but prob not helped by liquid diet in this chilly weather xx

Glad you're doing well!! :D xx

I can't wait till I'm skinny to feel the cold! lol xx

great news hope you get a date soon will check fior news

[/QUOTE
It is very exciting altho still doesn't seen real to me! :) don't think it will until I'm in that hospital Hana. That's the same as me my dietician said he wanted me to do low carb high protein pre-op but don't have the full details until I see him again. Which one are you to do? Xx[/QUOTE]

I have the same kind of diet, low carb, high protein, they dont do the milk diet xx

Back