• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Promax Protein Shake

Andrea73

I've just bought the promax protein shake in strawberry from tesco. I mixed it up as instructed with 200ml of water and OMG it was yuck....... Do you think it would taste better with milk?

I know that I need to drink this as my protein intake is very low and I need to up my weight loss. I am only losing about 2lbs a week, which don't get me wrong I am happy with but would like maybe 3-4lbs a week.

Any advice please....

I use half milk half water with promax, as all milk is too rich for me.

OMG I just bought the vanilla promax in tesco last week.........Ive given it away already it was FOUL. Yup dear too.

May have a look at your one mixymoo thanks for that.

:)

i am really struggling with my protein as the drinks make me feel sick. i'm thinking about having protein bars and wondered if anyone has tried them???????

Tried it with milk this morning and it was a bit better. Mixman, could you give me the discount code please. Recommend any flavours?? And what one to order?

Thanks

Hi Andrea

I posted this on another thread too but I get my protein from the same place as mixman. I have the whey isolate one in strawberry and my OH has the non flavoured and adds it to coffee.

I mix mine with skimmed milk and have it for brekkie (disgusting with water - yuck!).

I think the 5% discount is for all first time orders but if you google it incase Mixman doesnt see this there are lots of discount codes for the site.

The code I was given was MP181165. I think it's a code linked to me too, not sure. So you get 5% off your first order and I might get something. No idea!

I have tried the strawberry and the chocolate nut. The Strawbery is lush with milk and same for the chocolate nut but the chocolate nut I have with water and is OK. I Don't have them with milk all the time as I find them heavy!

Hey all,

I really struggle with sweet flavours so I cant deal with the flavoured protein shakes as I find them very sweet.So I get Maximuscle Promax Natural Flavour and i add this to all sorts of foods as it really has no flavour so just increases my protein intake.

I add at least one scoop to my smoothie in the morning or to the milk on my cereal and that equal 27g of protein and because its natura you can add to whatever you want to increase your intake.

Nat

ok I am totaly confused now!!!!! I hate my protein shakes and have to admit I have stopped having them and I have not replaced it with anything. Am I doing wrong? I am a bit thick when it comes to things like this so all advice will be very much appreciated and any suggestions will be invaluable. P.S I love milk so anything with milk is fine by me xxx

Hi Andrea

Firstly your weight lose is great, 42lbs in just over 2 months is great going, most people average a 1-2lb a week lose, so i dont see anything wrong there, you will find that fast starters will eventually hit a wall and either slow right down or stall ! its better to lose slowly consistantly than dropping massive amounts in a short time.

I use the Sci MX protein shakes which you can buy in Tescos, the only flavour i can tolerate is strawberry, its fare nicer and makes a thicker shake with milk or half milk half water (as Shel suggested) though i tend to just use water and down it as fast as i can and get it over with.
I was lucky to find a good quality protien shake i like the taste of first time, but it may take you a few attempts to find one you like.

ok I am totaly confused now!!!!! I hate my protein shakes and have to admit I have stopped having them and I have not replaced it with anything. Am I doing wrong? I am a bit thick when it comes to things like this so all advice will be very much appreciated and any suggestions will be invaluable. P.S I love milk so anything with milk is fine by me xxx

Lisa - there are no hard rules about taking protein powders as part of your diet, most people use them to supliment a lack of protein in there diet, until very recently i never used protein suppliments at all, but i do like and tend to eat a lot of meat dairy and fish, so i get my daily protein through food rather than suplimentation.
I started using protein post exercise as i'm hypoglycemic and tend to have attacks post exercise, the protein shake adds extra protein, vits and fluids and staves of the attacks.

I tried the Sci MX chocolate flavour from Tesco which was disgusting! I now have a banana flavoured one which Gill recommended, it tastes nicer but I confess not to have had any for weeks now as I find it sits too heavy in pouch.

My dietician is dead against using protein shakes and says I should be able to get enough protein just from my foods as long as I'm eating the right things.

I bought a protein bar a while ago and loved the taste (chocolate!!). I cut it into small chunks and had a bit when I had the urge for something sweet, at least I knew it was a treat that was doing me some good!! :rolleyes:

Cuppa xx

I tried the one Mixman uses.
I tried the Raspberry sample pack I ordered. It was ok but lack flavour. I made it with water and the consistancy wasn't too thick or runny.
I'm yet to try the banana and chocolate nut.

My bariatric nurse wasn't for using them either. I think they are a good idea. Yesterday I wasn't feeling to well and felt guilty not eating so had a shake that went down a lot easier than I think food would of.

Pinkyx

Here is my take on it, early days it is very tough to get all the protein in your healing body requires so I personally think they are really helpful. Many people are being advised to avoid supplements because dieticians want you to learn how to eat healthy and relying on packaged food goes against their training, it makes perfect sense for them to say you don't need them. However, as a bypasser and a researcher I have read alot of research myself into what happens in the real world where people struggle to get the healthy eating without some type of convenience food. I think the use of protein supplements is not only helpful but is an actual advantage because it helps healing and helps you feel satisified for longer with an added energy boost. What could be bad about that I ask you?

As for taste it is hard to tell what one person will like and another will think is vile.

Here are a few of tips:
1. Always make you shakes as cold as possible (if drinking cold), I make mine with 50-75% milk and then top up with water, I put the entire shaker in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight so it gets very cold. It takes the 'ok' shakes to tasty everytime. Also remember they can be frozen and defrost as you drink it, a bit like a milk shake.

2. When making a shake try using fresh fruit, flavoured yogurt or even coffee to add a nice flavour, you can really customise it that way. There are also sugar-free flavoured syrups you can use to make them even better.

3. Add your scoop of protein powder to your favourite flavoured yougurt. That way in just a few spoons of yogurt you have a powerful punch of protein.

4. Use unflavoured protein powder in soup, mash, and squash.

5. Always buy whey based protein powder as it is better for us wls peeps than soy with at least 20g protein per scoop.

6. If you are useing protein shots (fruit flavoured protein ready to drink), add a little sugar-free squash to them and then pour into an ice cube tray and freeze, pop the protein cubes into cold water and sip for hours on the lightly flavoured protein drink. Also, use protein shots when making your favourite jelly, then you have a protein snack.

7. Remember that a good shaker makes all the difference when trying to get a smooth lump-free shake, I use this one BB and it beats pants of others I have tried.

As you move on, you should be able to get your daily protein requirements through healthy eating. However, many of us long-term peeps still do use them to help keep a nice balance. I make protein cakes, ice cream & cookies on a regular basis because I love them!

As far as protein bars go I do like them, especially the Atkins ones, so tasty, but very expensive. If you find one you like, make sure it has low calories as well as low sugar. They are a great tool to help you along if you want to use them, however again finding ones you like may prove expensive.

Nic;)

Nic, fantastic advice as always, thank you. I will try some of your ideas. :D

Cuppa xx

Back