• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions... Bypass Post-Op

J-Mo

Can anyone please answer the following questions please?!

* How long after bypass is it before you can drive?
* Are we given list of vitamins when we get our ops that we need to buy?
* How long were you off work?

I understand all PCT's are different but just some ideas would be great!! I only work in a call centre (no high flying career) but I hate being off. I also hate not driving & my fella can't drive at the moment. I'm worrying what vitamins etc. I'll need.

Thanks in advance for any help &/or advice. I fully understand that any info given is based on your own experiences etc.

Every surgeon is different in what they prescribe.

My surgeons advice is the following
Forceval multivitamins
Clexain injections for 28 days and Lanzoperole for 28 days.
No driving or any form of exercise other than gentle exercise until after your 6 week post op check up.

As far as driving is concerned you should also check with your insurance provider to see if there are any conditions they stipulate.

I drove on Monday, a day under 2 weeks since my bypass. My insurance company were happy with that, just said whenever I feel comfortable!

I'm returning to work on Monday next week (a day under 3 weeks since bypass). I'm a childminder and a pre-school leader. I feel ready, and to be honest as a single mum who's main income is via self employment I don't have a choice!

My dietian recommended Centrum multi vits. I'm not taking them yet because they are HUGE! I have some kids chewy ones that I'm taking at the moment.

I had the Clexane jabs for 7 days post op and have fast tabs (lonsoprazole) for 28 days.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lucy. I'm a single mam too & rely heavily on the overtime I do. Especially with Xmas coming. Thanks & take care ;)

I was a bit naughty and drove about 5 days after my op, but was told 2 weeks.

I take centrium and had to have clexane injections for 2 weeks , also lanzaprazole for 3 months ( although i'm still on them due to my stricture ) and also have to take calcium.

xx

Thanks Katastrophe.. U're a naughty girl driving that soon, I'd never do such a thing :whistle:

J-Mo, the dietician will come talk to you on the ward about your vitamins. She'll also go through the post-op diet with you. But basically SRH recommend any A-Z vitamins. I buy Boots own brand. They are huge but I break them in half.
After one month, the dietician writes to your GP and asks them to prescribe iron tablets (1 per day), calcium (2 per day) and Vit B12 injections every 3 months.

You will also be prescribed Lanzaprazole fast-tabs.

I don't work so I can't help you with that. I drove after 2 weeks.

I hope that helps. xxxx

Thanks Charis, the nurse asked me today if I had any questions & I said no. As soon as I walked out I thought of about 100. As you know SRH are not the best for after care as you found out, so I wasn't counting on them for anything!!

they normally gett you to start taking a multi vitamin and mineral tablet when you start your pre-op diet.

I felt comfortable enough to drive after a couple of weeks...just took it slow and was careful where my seatbelt was placed....basically i was bored out of my mind sat at home.

My work allowed me 4 weeks off working a couple of hours from home every day from 1 week post op...but i went back to work after 3 weeks...i do office administration and they have been really supportive of me through this whole journey

i started to take forceval, calcium, when i went onto sloppies, but started on fastabs immediately, am on 2 a day for 6months, then 1 a day for rest of life. plus b12 jabs every 3 months.

only thing i have now is a multi vit tablet.

had the injections every day for 2 weeks and took the lanzoprozale for about a month post op but that was it

Back