• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

really really worried any tips

yapper1901

had my surgery on 23/05 i weighed 150.7
which went great
the first weeek i lost 10killo
the second week i lost 7 killo
now thing that is concerning me is since then i have only lost 3.2 in three week
and i am really struggling with food the only thing i can really eat is soup everything else i try just gets stuck in my chest then i am sick

now am i worrying myself over nothing with both the weight loss and the food or am i doing something wrong

Firstly, anything over 1kg per week is a good weight loss, don't complain about only losing 3.5, that is a huge loss in just 1 week. Your early losses were exceptional and can't be repeated long term.

If you are struggling to move from liquids to purée you need to contact your surgical team for advice, as this can be a sign of scar tissue or you may need more support adjusting how you physically eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Firstly, anything over 1kg per week is a good weight loss, don't complain about only losing 3.5, that is a huge loss in just 1 week. Your early losses were exceptional and can't be repeated long term.

If you are struggling to move from liquids to purée you need to contact your surgical team for advice, as this can be a sign of scar tissue or you may need more support adjusting how you physically eat.

thanks for your quick reply, really shocked i thought a kilo a week is bad, i mean i must be on 100 calorie a day at the moment so 2.2lb a week seems real low

regarding the food issue what would you say is a good portion about 2 to 3 tablespoons of food

so far the foods i have tried and struggled with is
inside of a jacket potato
mince in a tomato sauce blended
salmon in a herb sauce
tuna mayo
i also tried a heinze scotch brooth soup

i will contact the dietiction but just was wondering if its something i am doing wrong

am i picking wrong foods, trying to eat to much etc
i wonder with eating to much as i have never really know a full feeling so not really sure what to look for

Don't you mean pounds a week?

10kg is approx 22.5 lbs........ incredible for one week, pre or post op
7kg is approx 15.75 lbs.... again an exceptional loss fror a week.
I'm a bit confused here.
Soup and pureed food is ok at your stage. Thats how it should be. It is too soon for solids.
Lynne x

Sorry I just re red the 3.2 kg was in 3 week
So for week 3, week 4 and week 5 only 1 kg a week.
The first two weeks were great but now at one kg a week am dissapointed

Plus surely I should be able to manage soft food by week 5 or at least purée

The food choices are fine. At only 100cals a day your body is in starvation mode and clinging on to every ounce for dear life. You need to aim for 900cals. On liquids/purees that means 3 meals and 3 protein based snacks a day. Yoghurt, milky coffees etc are fine for snacks now. Slow down your eating and take tiny bites. A hot meal should be well and truly cold by the time you're finished due to the time it takes!

Try mash with some cheese or gravy, poached chicken with gravy or tomato passata pureed, light flakey fish like plaice or sole with parsley or butter sauce pureed.

Take it slowly and if you still struggle get some medical advice.

All excellent advise from shelbel.

If you go on to BOSPA there is additional nutritional advice which is really useful, also I have recently purchased the following book which has been recommended on here; Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies. Although American there is lots of relevant advice for each stage of eating and lots of recipes and menu ideas.

shelbell said:
The food choices are fine. At only 100cals a day your body is in starvation mode and clinging on to every ounce for dear life. You need to aim for 900cals. On liquids/purees that means 3 meals and 3 protein based snacks a day. Yoghurt, milky coffees etc are fine for snacks now. Slow down your eating and take tiny bites. A hot meal should be well and truly cold by the time you're finished due to the time it takes!

Try mash with some cheese or gravy, poached chicken with gravy or tomato passata pureed, light flakey fish like plaice or sole with parsley or butter sauce pureed.

Take it slowly and if you still struggle get some medical advice.

Thanks for your reply that's the problem I have tried the stuff you recommend but it just gets stuck
I normally eat with a teaspoon is this right size ? Also what should I be aiming for should it be still a ramakin size or should it be aiming for more

Like for instance a tin of heinze soup how much should I be having out of the tin

If you're still having problems then you need to contact your team as you may have scar tissue across your stoma. This can be fixed easily with a simple non-surgical procedure. But I'm not a doctor, it's just an educated guess.

Back