• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sick to death of food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I have details of the cottage cheese pouch test please?

Here you go -

"How big is my stomach pouch?

Just about every patient asks this question on
occasion. It is expected and appropriate that the stomach pouch will enlarge
somewhat as the months pass after gastric bypass. Some of this enlargement
is an actual increase in size, and some represents a softening (regaining of
elasticity) of the pouch and its outlet.

The real answer is that the FUNCTIONAL size varies with many factors such as
time of day, the amount of time taken to eat, mood of the patient, other
medical issues, and (most importantly) the type of food eaten. It is
expected and appropriate that the pouch will handle a much smaller amount of
solid food (chicken) than mushy stuff like mashed potatoes or soup.

The cottage cheese test is a technique that was presented at the June 2000
meeting of the ASBS (and many times before that) by Latham Flanagan, MD
(website is at The Oregon Center for Bariatric Surgery). It is meant to be
a standardized, reproducible measurement of the physical size of the stomach
pouch in a person who has undergone a gastric bypass procedure.

Purchase a container of small curd low-fat cottage cheese. Begin the test
with a full container, and perform the test in the morning before eating
anything else (this will be your breakfast on that day). Eat fairly quickly
until you feel full (less than five minutes). Note that the small soft curds
do not require much chewing. The idea with the rapid eating is to fill the
pouch before there is much time for food to flow out of it.
After eating your "fill" of cottage cheese, you will be left with a
partially eaten container that has empty space where cottage cheese used to
be.

Start with a measured amount of water (16 ounces, for example), and pour
water into the container of cottage cheese until the water is level with the
original top level of the cottage cheese.
Voila - the amount of water poured into the container is the functional size
of the pouch.

If this is your first time doing the test - DON'T PANIC. You are likely to
find that the "cottage cheese" size of your pouch is way bigger than your
surgeon told you he/she made it at the time of surgery. Dr. Flanagan's data
indicates that the average size of the mature pouch by cottage cheese test
is 5.5 ounces. He has also found that sizes ranging from 3 to 9 ounces have
NO IMPACT on the person's success in weight loss."

Shel x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks Shel xx
I predict a run on cottage cheese at the supermarket...

Lol, I've never tried it myself, but I can see some may be curious about their pouch size, especially if struggling. The 5 day pouch test suggests doing the cottage cheese test the day before you start and again on day 6 to check if it has helped with your restriction.

Thanks for that Shel, it is really interesting! Such a simple test too......Im sure there will come a day when Ill be trying this test ;) XX

thanks for posting that shell. really interesting. Unfortunately for me, cottage cheese always reminds me of vomit. I can barely look at the stuff lol.

I suppose it just proves that the bypass is a tool and not a magic way to stop you eating. I've read that it's very common for the appetite to come back with a vengeance after the honeymoon period of around 6 months.
You say some people here become obsessed with what they eat. Well duh! Anyone who read up on this surgery beforehand would know that it involves a lifelong commitment to keeping track of what we eat, ensuring we have the right amount of protein etc.
I know it must be really tough and I'm sure I'll have the same struggle post op, but you sound like you're talking yourself into being allowed to fail by blaming the pouch, the surgeon, the follow up team, anyone but yourself.
Remember just because you can eat a larger amount, doesn't mean you have to eat a larger amount. It's your choice. Perhaps you need to look at getting some psychological support to look at your issues with food.

you can tell you havent had your op yet as the stuff you are saying is exactly what i would of been saying to someone like me ,BUT im far from stupid, i researched this op untill i was totally sure of what i had to do , but the reason i am fat is due to being a food addict, just like a drunk or drug addict, yeah ok they might of tried to make my stomach smaller and i thought, yeah great ill have this op and make right choices, and really make this work for me. no im not blaming anyone but me, what im pi**ed of with is that i CAN STILL eat a lot, if i see the food i like then i want it , its a life time of having a bad habit and one i cant control, if i blo*dy could control it i would of been fat in the first place, all the people that can stick to it so well, well good for you all , i guess im just so weak willed, how bad am i, so do you know what from now on im not coming on here, as this site isnt for people like me it seems your only allowed to have a say if your doing ok which is bull, i think a lot of people are talking crap and sorry if you dont like it, but all i was saying was that i took months looking at every aspect of wls and thought great finally a tool that will help me, but the addiction for food over powers the tool, so i guess im on my own i was tryng to be honest and i really dont give a crap, so good bye all, and happy dieting to u all. oh one last thing, when you have had your op and your 6 months out then maybe you can judge me,...............

no ones judgeing you hun we are just trying to tell you how it is - sorry if its upset you but the reason your not loosing fast like others is because your filling your face with chocolate, buns, chips and sausage!
no one is saying your wrong - you pouch could indeed be bigger than usuall but that is up to you to talk about with your team, they cant help you if your not going to see them! but what we are saying is.... you need to cut these fatty foods out and get your weight moving again!
why not go back to basics - go back to fluids only for a week and start again from the begining!
do the pouch test that shelbel is sugesting!
did you expect us all to tell you how bad your surgeon must be because he hasnt done your op right? were telling you how it is on what information you have provided for us! you asked our opinion and your throwing it back in our faces!
sorry is you cant handle the truth!
why are you even buying hot cross buns in and chocolate bars - i dont buy them in because im like you im addicted to food - if its there i want to eat it!
read back through this thread because theres some ralued advice there to HELP YOU! and your not taking it!

you have 2 choices

1.... listen to advice given and try anything to help get you moving again, and speak to your team where you had your op done because you may be right and your pouch maybe too big.

or

2, carry on as u are and dont take advice given and either stay as you are or you could even put on what you have allready lost!

your choice!

the hunger you say your feeling - could even be head hunger! you may only be feeling hungry because you know that bun is in the cudboard! ????

No-one is judging you, everyone is just trying to help. You've recognised you have a problem with food and that's one of the hardest steps, now you have to choose whether to do something about it or let it control you forever. If you keep pushing everyone away who is trying to help then it's just going to be so difficult for you to overcome that addiction.

so why dont you post on the daily food diary hun where post bypassers can see what your eating on a daily basis and maybe they can pin point something thats not helping you loose weight!
your just on the defensive side! were just trying to help ya! x
are you going to to do the pouch test? maybe then youl be able to ring your consultant and say look - ive done this pouch test and this is what it prooves - surely this isnt right! and if it isnt right they may do a revision bypass to help you!

Last edited:
I think a few of the people giving you advice are 6+ months post op and successfully maintaining. You seem incredibly angry with people who are trying to help you and i hope you can read a few of these replies again and take something from them. Wls is not the easy way out that its made out to be as you have discovered but its worth putting in the effort. Im sorry if you think we are obsessed with food but getting our health back and avoiding the slippery slope of regain is a good enough reason to be careful (not obsessed) hope you get some resolution on this issue.

Tray, Im not six months yet im almost 5 months and I have to fight with myself every day to beat the addiction that got us where we started before surgery. Its not easy and no-one is saying it is. Personally Im too scared of dumping to even try a bun lol....Im a coward and thats why I havnt had anything sugary but Im far from an angel and thats for sure. I think you know deep down that if you went back to eating what you ate say 2 months out from surgery that you wouldnt be having the problem to the same degree. It really is in some ways like a life long diet but with a bit of help along the way from the bypass. I really hope you can get back on track....this place is for all of us, good bad and indifferent, its not just for people who are doing really well. We all need a bit of help along the way and thats what makes it so good here, we dont judge one another just try and help (HUG) XX

I'm just wanting to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread and also hoping that from this we can move forward.

How I see things is that a scenario is presented for a contribution of ideas and thoughts from those who feel concern, feel able to support or feel they would like to try and reach out and help.

If anyone ever replies to any question I've posted I'm just glad to see that people care enough to reach, read and to try and help.

Whatever our life experiences, whatever our age, whatever our wls stage or type of wls... it's a sanctuary on here and a haven for me and it's carried me through my wls journey so far.

I'm learning from you all day by day and learning about the trials that can go with wls because it's a new experience for most of us and we are all different (not robots) so what works for one may not work for others.

Tray I can only wish you well on your journey as does everyone else and hope that you can find which way is best for you to overcome any of the issues that you are experiencing.

It's because people care and try to help and because we understand the emotions of this journey that we are all here for you, trying to help you along as you have done with us and we can't ever have perfection, but we do have some truthful love support and caring, concerned members which is what I truly value.

I'm only recently through surgery, but for this forum and you all, I would never have been so prepared, so informed, so honestly supported and I am looking at this thread in a positive light... as a lot of genuine, caring and concerned wls members regardless of any stage of their journey reaching out to another and holding their hand for you Tray.

If you feel we can help you in any way... whether it's via daily support on the menu thread or if there is anything practical or any way we could help you would only have to say... you know we are all here for everyone to help each other through the daily ups and downs of life and the daily trials that can present with this journey... we all have issues in different ways.

Sending love, peace, calm and thanks to everyone for contributing from the heart on this thread and looking forward with positivity and hope that thanks to everyone's honesty and openess... this may be of some help to Tray and that it will enable and encourage which is at the heart of everyone's love and support.

Love to everyone and keep supporting each other and taking good care of yourself wherever you may be on your journey xxx

It takes a lot to post on open forum that you are struggling and making poor food choices some of the time and you are already feeling rubbish and then you feel like people are judging you. It is easy to type things without people knowing the true feelings behind why it was typed, whether it's supportive or judgemental.

Tray maybe you need to go back to your team and ask for some help to work on the food addiction, or ask your GP to refer you because if you don't sort out the underlying problems then nothing is going to work long term.
I'm very concerned that post-op I'll be able to eat the wrong things and also too much so your post has really helped me to realise that I need to sort my issues out now before I have my op so I for one want to thank you for being so honest and brave.

Angela xx

Tray, we had surgery about the same time, and face the same struggles.

Everyday is a challenge, and its not something we considered when going through the motions pre op. I was dealing with the fact how I was going to cope without been able to eat food, when infact my struggle is totally the opposite. I can eat more food than most, and I STILL make the wrong food choices. 6 months I've been trying to stop myself once again from eating. But when I actually peal the layers off, its such a wide mix of problems. my team are sending me to get some counselling, and since end of December, I've been going to the gym 2/3 times a week and once a week swimming. The weight is still not shifting, I've not lost anything for 4 weeks. Its hard, but you have to stay positive, because you either give in, or soldier on. I know which I want.

It can be easy to judge from the outside looking in, but when you are in the here and right now its extremely hard. To watch others succeed, it makes you feel even more of a failure. Obviously its a massive congratulations to those of you who are racing towards your goals, as it takes much hard work and perseverance. I do think for a mixture of reasons, that they are a few who struggle more than the average post oppers. I did think that some people stomach just stretch quicker ~ But I think its just the bad food choice we've made than makes this happen.

Tray ~ I think back to basics. Either do 5 day test (i haven't done that yet but considering it soon) or 2 days just liquids just to get a little restriction back. Or maybe 2 days of just cutting the carbs and just focus on protein protein protein. Just for a couple of days and see how you get on. It is a long hard ride but I'm sure we can all get there. Please feel free to message me for support.

I would also like to thank Julie for been my support the last few weeks. Shes helped to keep my positivity going x

Tray, I'm not going to apologise for my earlier post because I stand by what I said. I may not be post op but I've been battling food addiction for most of my life and I've also had a great deal of therapy so I recognise denial and anger when I see it. If I buy treats I eat them all. I can't just have one and leave the rest of the packet in the cupboard. Does that mean I do the sensible thing and not buy them? No. My moods still dictate to me and I lapse quite a lot. No one here is having a go at you, just trying to point out, based on what you have told us, that you need to look at why you're buying those types of food in the first place. You know you're a food addict. It's up to you to decide what you're going to do about it, so that you don't end up being one of those bypassers who regain all the weight. It would be a real shame if all the hard work you'd already put in was undone.
I'm glad you posted about your struggle as it's important to see all sides of the wls journey. Just please don't cut off your nose to spite your face by leaving this site. You'd only be hurting yourself if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back