• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnea test

Mandz66

I Am having a sleep apnea test on monday, can anyone advise what the test involves and approx how long it takes for results? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

hiya Mandz :) I had 2 different tests, one involved putting a gadget on the end of my finger and the other was straps around my body, with little things up my nose lol
I got my results from the first test, the next day, which was when i was given the next test. The results of the second test took a couple of weeks. But to be honest, you will find that everyone has a different story to tell, it just depends on your hospital. Good luck :) xxx

Hi

It can also depend on how your hospital does it as well, I had two both done at different hospitals in different parts of the country, one was done as an in patient and one was done as an out patient. The in patient one involved leads stuck to my chest and a device stuck to the end of my finger, and the out patient one involved a box strapped to my chest and a tube that fitted under my nose.

Interestingly although everything was the same weight wise and health wise when both tests where done the in patient test said I didn't have OSA but the out patient test which was done a few years later said I did have OSA and it was quite bad at 40 episodes and hour.

Of even more interest is that I am now 8 weeks post op and all signs of OSA has gone, no snoring or spluttering or anything, the wife says I am now totally silent when I sleep.

The only down side to,that is the little hot flushing bed hogging devil is now back from the other room and is doing her best to get her revenge backmformall the years I kept her awake. Mind you my snoring used to be so bad that I once stayed at a hotel in Walsall and the talk around the dining room in the morning was did you hear that strange noise last night, yes vertualy the whole hotel heard me snoring.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. At least I have a clue now what to sort of expect. :)

Yes i had a test before my surgery, i had very loud snoring and woke my self up many times through the night , i ahve been like that for a long time, they said i was having i think it was 58 episodes per minute something in that region i was strapped up with belts with electrodes on and a bok just under my centre of the chest attached with wire and tubes one to your middle finger which lit up in the dark like et and the other connected to a tube with 2 little prongs on to go up your nostrils , i went back for another in Dec last year after losing bout 4 stone had another test got wired and sent home for the night and i was fine less than 7 episodes so i got rid of my machine for good so there is light at the end of the tunnel. its bit uncomfortable but pain free. good luck xx

Mine was done with a machine I took home. The contraption was simple - a belt small box attached to it that has to sit just under yout breastbone (right on the top of your gall bladder - which is not good if you have problems in that dept). The box has wires running from it which clip to your finger and a tube with 2 very small prongs that attach to your nose.

I was told that I didn't have sleep apnoea - even though my DH disagrees, and I am not sure how they could tell considering that I literally didn't sleep for one minute due to the lights on the finger clip, the clip on my nose and the pain in my gall bladder that was being aggravated by the box.

That was why they said you don't have it. You have to actually sleep to have OSA, they should have done the test again if you didn't sleep on the first one.

Paul

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I haven't got it! :)

Me too Mandy, I have to go next week for mine.

You too hun, fingers crossed x

I have been to the sleep clinic today and have to wire myself up for the night tonight then back to hospital first thing tomorrow. Praying I haven't got sleep apnea as I cannot stand anything over my face, I panic. Never mind if I have I have and will have to deal with it nothing is stopping me have my wls :) x

I have been to the sleep clinic today and have to wire myself up for the night tonight then back to hospital first thing tomorrow. Praying I haven't got sleep apnea as I cannot stand anything over my face, I panic. Never mind if I have I have and will have to deal with it nothing is stopping me have my wls :) x

good luck Mandz :) xxx

hi mandy i had test in december a machine attated to my wrist and finger i was told i had sleep apnea and the doctor was very blunt and told me i was not sleeping well and waking loads . was given machine and lmslept like a baby was petrified about hasving something over my face and thought i would have panic attacks but was wierd i slept really well and still do so good look and you will cope if you have to if i can you will lol good luck x

You have to wait gain for results before they let you know their findings if its positive you will get your mask and machine, it is strange at frist and i thought i would never get used to it, had it for bout 9 or 10 months after bout 41/2 stone weight loss had another test and i had improved dramatically had to send machine back, sleep with out snoring and waking myself and the rest of the house hold up now. Its amazing really how quick you adapt. I was at the docs 1 morning a man came in i knew and he had marks on the side of his face i had bit giggle to myself cos i could tell they were marks off his sleep mask because some mornings i had the same marks on my face, probably thought no one would know. xx

christa i have them marks all the time lol b ut think people cant see them but they clearly can our own secret club lolx

It is easier for a lady to cover up with her hair than it is for aman though. My worst place used to be my forehead used have a abig red patch on it very sore and used topress on my skull. Some morning the side were worse than others and some days the marks didn't fade somedays they did you just never know, My hubby thought the mask was a great deterrant for burgulars he said if they come in and see you in that they'll take one look and have a fit, thinks i looked like somthing out of Starwars or Startrek. Cheeky git xx Don'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM NOW THOUGH. XX

Good luck hun x

Thanks for the replies. Woke up this morning and must have pulled the finger thing off in the night! Ooops. Hope I don't have to do it again! :-(

Back