• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnea test

Well I have had a letter from the hospital today and I have a degree of obstructive sleep apnea! Got to go and get a machine on 14th to use for 4 nights to see if it makes any difference. :-( does anyone know of this will hinder my journey? X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Well I have had a letter from the hospital today and I have a degree of obstructive sleep apnea! Got to go and get a machine on 14th to use for 4 nights to see if it makes any difference. :-( does anyone know of this will hinder my journey? X

THey told me that if you need the machine you have to be on it and managing it for bout 6 months before they will let you have surgery, that was my nhospital and some are different so?? good luck thoughxx

Thanks for that Chrisa, I had convinced myself I didn't have it, my mum has it and I feel physically sick when I see her mask. I cannot stand anything over my face. Oh well will have to see how I get on!! :)

Thanks for that Chrisa, I had convinced myself I didn't have it, my mum has it and I feel physically sick when I see her mask. I cannot stand anything over my face. Oh well will have to see how I get on!! :)

I suffer from allergies, hayfever, animal fur and a few others besides andhad an op to remove nasal polyps a few years back since then i am not bgood with things over myn nose dont even feel confortable with vick round me nose or vaseline. I took to my little machine ok much better than i thought, sometimes i panicked but the nurse told me if you get like that just take it off and try the next night, was fine really but i asked for a water reservoir because of my allergies and it meant my mouth wasn't as dry when i woke up. it just clipped on to the front of my machine but made my time with the macine bearable. You soon adapt xx

Hi

They now use quite a few different masks, so if on is giving you problems ask for another type to try, I used to use the small mask that only fitted over the nose 99% of the time and only needed the larger one that also covered my mouth if I had a cold and couldn't breath through my nose. There is also one called IIRC a nasal pillow which only fits to the bottom of the nose, give them all a try if you are having problems adapting.

Once you get your masks sorted you and your family and neighbours will be enjoying some very long nights sleeps.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I will ask about them on 14th when I go to see them to pick up machine. :)

I just had the one that fitted over my nose, but got quite used to it, at first when i started to use it i used to put my head phones on with music cause i found it hard to get to sleep that used to relax me and nod off quite easily. xx

i didnt get a mask as i carnt stand anything over my face they gave me a snore band that fits in your mouth like a gumshield and i managed with that x

I just had the one that fitted over my nose, but got quite used to it, at first when i started to use it i used to put my head phones on with music cause i found it hard to get to sleep that used to relax me and nod off quite easily. xx

I do that as well, mind you I also had to put up with the constant ringing of Tinitus as well so little relaxing music helps not only mask the sound of the CPAP but also masks the Tinitus as well.

Mind you in my case I have one bit of good news, at only 10 weeks post bypass and four stone lost all signs of sleep Aponea has gone, so now I can sleep without my CPAP, I now only have to contend with my Tinitus now

Paul

Paul that's fab, hope mine disappears once I have my op and lose a few stone. It looks like there are a few options for me instead of the mask, just hope my pct have the alternatives :)

i get on really well with my mask, quite like it now lol yes i know im strange :rolleyes: lol xxx

I know what you mean. But equally will be just as glad to be shot of it. fingers crossed eh.

I know what you mean. But equally will be just as glad to be shot of it. fingers crossed eh.
oh yes lol :fingerscrossed:

Oh well I got a cpap with a mask yesterday to use this week and then back at hospital Friday. Started with a cold last night n blocked nose and just couldn't use the mask as I felt like I was suffocating - great start! Don't feel any better tonight either but have just had some flu plus and sinex nasal spray so we will see. I get claustrophic and I told the hosp this but there is no alternative to a mask unless you only breath through your nose! I need to crack this or they won't do my bypass. :-(

Any News on your sleep test yet? mandz x

Oh well I got a cpap with a mask yesterday to use this week and then back at hospital Friday. Started with a cold last night n blocked nose and just couldn't use the mask as I felt like I was suffocating - great start! Don't feel any better tonight either but have just had some flu plus and sinex nasal spray so we will see. I get claustrophic and I told the hosp this but there is no alternative to a mask unless you only breath through your nose! I need to crack this or they won't do my bypass. :-(

You'll get it sussed. Its surprising how we manage to do things when we have to. I had to haev 2 endoscopies before they could put me on the bypss list, wasnt happy bout it cried when i got the 2nd letter for the 2nd one. But i did it and was sooo proud of myself. I did the same with my mask didnt enjoy it at first but it does help with the sleep, i used to read with kids at school and couldnt keep my eyes open some days but that really helped me. Youll see you'll crack it just another box to tick to get closer to your op. xx good luck stay positive xx;)

Thanks Chris, I think I might be able to use it tonight as I feel loads better today, dozed myself up with lemsips, vit c and zinc tablets and I think they've worked their magic! Caraline I have mild sleep apnea and got a Cpap on Monday but haven't been able to use it coz I got a cold n blocked nose on Monday afternoon, typical. Will let you know how I get on. :) xx

cheers for letting me no, I haven't heard any think yet. so fingers crossed. and I hope you feeling better soon x

When did you have your sleep test? I heard within 3 days of handing the machine back, and that was by post! Hope all is ok with you x

Back