• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

solids = puke but slop ok

BandyEmm

can anyone help, since my band fill ive not been able to keep solid food down, it comes back up within 2 mouth fuls, but sloppy stuff is ok.

what could this be ?

It might be that you're eating a bit too quickly.
It could also be that your choosing foods that are too fibrous or too dry for your band to cope with.

What solid stuff are you eating?

I find that I can eat most things providing it's not too dry. (dry cold chicken won't go down but hot chicken with gravy is fine) Fish is batter is a complete no no, but in parsley sauce it fine. Also, I can eat apple but I can't manage the skin.

You're only a few weeks post op and your stomach may still be settling down after banding.

HTH

it can be anything from wholemeal bread to pasta salad to a small peice of cheese.
Ive always been a slow eater infact im always the last to finish, even before my op. Am doing small bites at a time.
I had a 6ml fill last week..

Hopefully it will settle down soon

X

It was quite a big amount of fill you had Emm, you might need a bit out.. even a tiny half a mil. That's what I had removed and it made a huge difference to what I can eat.
If you are not sure maybe phone your provider and explain what you're having problems with. They might just advise liquids for a couple days to allow any swelling (due to all the sickness) to go back down , then see how you manage solid food...perhaps if it's still an issue they might call you back in for a little adjustment. It's along the lines of what I was told.
Don't suffer with it for too long ! x

Hi Emm. You might like to try things other than bread and pasta. These are very difficult for most banders. I've not had bread for almost a year and find pasta really difficult unless I'm due for a fill!! The chewing thing is really important too as sometimes even when you think that you've chewed enough you will be sick and know that you didn't. This is only my opinion but if you try fish/meat, vegies then the carbs (in that order) you will be getting your protein which is really important. My surgeon (Shaw Somers) gave me that advice - so did a lot of people here - and it seems to work. Did you get a pack with diet info? You should have been given guidance on what foods you may find difficult. I tried asparagus at the weekend - never again - it got stuck - Ouch!! I looked at my food list and there it was under "could cause problems". Like I said this is only my opinion but I find the food list invaluable. If I remembered to look at it...............

Yep I have to agree, I was told never to eat pasta, bread or rice. This is quite good advice as they swell up after you eat it and a stodgy foods that can infact block the gap between pouch and stomach.

I can only ever eat these when my fill wears off and I am due for another.

Try fish, it's soft and should be easy to digest, try eating from a teaspoon, to make sure you don't take in too much at a time and put cutlery down till you have chew about 20 times and allowed that mouthful to go through band.

Once you get used to it, this rhythm of eating becomes the norm.

You are still early days and each one is a massive learning curve.

I had my fill at the same time as you emm and I am not able to eat any bread, pasta or rice. I can eat mashed potato, but not unless it is well mashed! I can eat most things as long as they are not too dry, I ate a bite of biscuit the other day and that got nicely wedged, so I won't be doing that again!
Mostly I have been eating soup, soft scrambled egg, chicken and gravy, things in sauces. I had a bit of roast beef, plenty of gravy on it, and it went down ok but was a bit uncomfortable.
I'd take a step back from carbs generally, they are so hard to swallow and I don't know about you but I hate the feeling when things get stuck.

thanks girls, i have tried the soft scrambled egg, veggies etc and that again still comes up, unless it slides down , it comes back up lol,

I have a appointment on the 7th may with the baratric team so if it still happening i will ofcourse let them know.
xx

Hi Emm i agree with the others you may need a slight de fill as the ristriction seems a little too much, good luck hun x

Hi Emm. Sorry to labour the point but it really is trial and error. I can't eat scrambled egg, chicken, beef (only mince) or (and how sad am I) salad!! I make vegetable soup or puree some veg/fruit or I get paranoid about nutrition. I have spoken to my surgeon and he said that it's all ok. I am a slow loser but I do go out/holiday/generally misbehave quite a lot. Since I've had the band I haven't gained weight at all so things are going well. It is a huge learning curve re food and I am still learning/being sick/not chewing etc........ I know its boring but I keep trying things because there are days when I can eat a small amount of chicken or beef. How are you coping with the info that you were(?) given re diet? Is it any help at all? 6ml fill is a big fill - if you still have problems it may be that you need a little taken out - as the others have said. If I can be of any help let me know I'm not far from Reading.

I'm almost a year out and still can't eat bread meat or fish. A little defill may help you. I had a small defill of 0.75 mil and it made a huge difference. My band was so tight I could,nt eat hardly anything and even though I could'nt eat I was'nt losing weight. Speak to your team and see what they recommend. Good luck xx

basically what your feeling is full restriction which is normally built up over time with smaller fills this is what most banders work towards but usually have time to learn how to use it correctly, it seems they have thrown you in the deep end and made you to tight too quickly and you are un aware how to use the full restriction properly yet a small de fill would probbaly be best for you till you learn how to re educate your eating habbits with banding.

Liz x

Last edited:
Back