• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tough Love

Your completely right Sam ( and this is only my opinion), you don't have the privilege of an opinion on post operative eating habits, until you have experienced the pain & anguish of such invasive surgery, for yourself. Until you have had the surgery, I personally (and this is only my opinion) would rather you did not comment on what we do or do not eat. Some of us don’t want to be size 8/10 anorexic, because weight and food are no longer going to be allowed to dominate our every waking moment. I am not willing to deny myself anything that I may or may not want, as I have expunged all the guilt, which we have all accumulated over the years, through eating the forbidden fruits.
I feel very disappointed at your comments, as I did not realise that you were so self-righteous. I have learnt through the years “those who live in glass houses should not throw stones”, because I’m sure you would not like people to make you feel a failure and self-conscious if you do not adhere to a strict eating regime, once you’ve had your surgery.
In my mind (and again, this is only my opinion) a friend is someone who does not thrust ones inadequacies into ones face. A friend would understand that sometimes being a good friend is not about pointing out failings, but finding a positive, as there is always a positive somewhere, if only you can be bothered to look for it. In my case the positive was that I only ate the burger meat and not the bun & sauce nor any sides. Also I will not be craving the offending item again, as I have quashed the craving by not denying myself. If I had not indulged, the desire would have mushroomed into something larger than just a longing for one item of junk food.
However, you seemed to have had a knee jerk reaction to something that you have read and not understood. As it is not guilt that makes me record my daily food intake, it is merely an aid to see how much I do actually eat and what I should be doing to improve my bad eating habits. I do realise my own failings and do not need to be reminded of them. I am a work in progress and the surgery was only the beginning of a long and harsh journey towards my desired goal. Things do not nor cannot just change over night.
I feel that this is an issue that should be and has already been debated publicly and I’m sure many will have differing opinions. I am open to constructive criticism, but not to being patronised, as if I was a child. I have felt like others, who should understand, were judging me and my eating habits for a while now and I have had enough of that from the world at large. I come on to minimins to get advice and support not criticism. I don’t believe I am the only person who may feel this way. This is not a fallout or dig it is merely a response. I am here for support and to give support and I hope that all of my friends on here continue to be my friends and I will continue wholeheartedly to support you all.

I have not pm’d you Sam as I want to get this out on the forum and debated properly and truthfully. Tbh I did not think you should have written what you did to me, as you are not in the position yet to comment on this side of the wls journey quite yet, I will however, always value your advice friendship.

Last edited:
Im crap at putting my point of view over I had the op to help me stop eating as much. And as of yet it has I have had some chocolate but a couple of cubes pre op I would have had 3 bars one after the other. If someone has a slice of pizza pro pre op they would of had a whole 12" one. I for one do still wanna have the nice things in life but now I can have a small bit and not shed loads of it. I found pre op if I denined myself stuff I would end up eating loads of it now I can not pycically do this. But yes If I eventually do have to much of a nice thing. I will put it behind me and get back on track. When I went weight watchers/ slimming world If people had had a bad week the leader use to say that was that week this is a new one. We are all individual some will stuggle more than others. Up to yet my only big one was I had 20+ vodkas last friday and was plastered but I had a great night and it dont happen that often a couple of times a year.

probs sounds like im rambling but like I said Im crap at stuff like this

I also from now on will prob keep any downfalls I have to myself as I dont wanna be judged by anyone no more I had all that pre op and dont want it post op O)

Teen dont change chick I love your posts and I love the fact your down to earth....dont let this forum stop you from saying what you think and feel.....xx

minis is here 4 support. not just to recieve it but to give it 2, we are all different as we are all human with differnt ways of thinking regarding loosing weight, there is no rights and wrongs thro our weight loss journeys, its a learning curve 4 us all.

liz x

Easier said than done I'm afraid.
LBD - a really good post.
I wish I could articulate my feelings on this properly but at the moment it's been a long day and the words will not come.
All I can say is the bypass will not magically reset your brain from what it was pre-op, I know I certainly feel like I have a constant fight on my hands not to stuff in that little bit of extra food...sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. The mental side is, and probably always will be, the toughest thing about having this operation.

Spot on there,

All I would like to say is that I think the very best thing that’s come out of this thread is the honesty.....
for many many years I have felt people judged me for my weight, they judged me when they looked in my shopping basket, they judged me as I sat having a muffin with my coffee in Starbucks, they judged me when I ate in cafes and restaurants in the end I worried that the Ocado delivery man would judge me for what food I had ordered when he looked at how fat I was when I opened the front door. Do I sound paranoid? well yes I probably do and yes I probably was...but one thing this WLS has done for me is made me able to say F**k You I’m dealing with my life my way and you have no right to judge me for what I do or what I eat. (not saying that to you Sam bless you)

The ability to come on here and talk about my feelings and never feel like I am being judged has helped me immeasurably and I see that the ability for others to come on here a "fess up" when they feel they have slipped up is fantastically supporting for them, many of us can't tell others around us about the surgery and don’t want to tell them about "slip ups" because we would start to feel judged and under pressure, the ability to come and "fess up" and move on is great.....if it stops one person "eating in secret - scared to tell anyone" it great as it means that hopefully no-one here should feel alone with their problems.

HOWEVER...I must say that I do agree that in no way should these "slip ups" be seen as a thing to be proud of....I’m not saying that people put them up because they are proud of it, but if people are posting to clear their conscience its one thing but if it became a case of “hohoho aren't i naughty i just spent the week eating rubbish isn’t it funny that i was so daft” its very different. To me it’s very similar to people thinking it’s really funny they totally can’t cook....to me that’s not funny it’s a life skill they have never learned and it’s a hard thing to learn but it is nothing to be proud of.

We all handle the hardships and difficulties in our lives differently I personally spent 25 years hiding from the pain of an abusive childhood and a violent and abusive marriage by eating myself to a desperately unhealthy weight all be it with very healthy foods just huge rugby player sized portions....I hid behind my weight and tried hard to diet but sabotaged myself endlessly year after horrible year until after dieting from the age of 13 to the age of 40 I decided to take control of my life with WLS and counselling. I have decided I will NEVER EVER diet again from now on my life will be about good food choices healthy eating and portion control and I will be able to let go of the food demons that have been part of my life since I left junior school over weight and deeply unhappy. I deserve to be happy and tpo live a healthy life free from the pain and suffering dieting and food demonising has given me all my life.

My life will be about everything in sensible moderation...if I want chips I will bloody have them but only a very small amount and the same for any food...I know from bitter experience if it’s banned I WANT IT NOW! So moderation is the way to go and if anyone else doesn’t like it they don’t have to read about it or watch me eat it...it’s my choice.

xxx:gen126::gen126::gen126:xxx

All I would like to say is that I think the very best thing that’s come out of this thread is the honesty.....
for many many years I have felt people judged me for my weight, they judged me when they looked in my shopping basket, they judged me as I sat having a muffin with my coffee in Starbucks, they judged me when I ate in cafes and restaurants in the end I worried that the Ocado delivery man would judge me for what food I had ordered when he looked at how fat I was when I opened the front door. Do I sound paranoid? well yes I probably do and yes I probably was...but one thing this WLS has done for me is made me able to say F**k You I’m dealing with my life my way and you have no right to judge me for what I do or what I eat. (not saying that to you Sam bless you)

The ability to come on here and talk about my feelings and never feel like I am being judged has helped me immeasurably and I see that the ability for others to come on here a "fess up" when they feel they have slipped up is fantastically supporting for them, many of us can't tell others around us about the surgery and don’t want to tell them about "slip ups" because we would start to feel judged and under pressure, the ability to come and "fess up" and move on is great.....if it stops one person "eating in secret - scared to tell anyone" it great as it means that hopefully no-one here should feel alone with their problems.

HOWEVER...I must say that I do agree that in no way should these "slip ups" be seen as a thing to be proud of....I’m not saying that people put them up because they are proud of it, but if people are posting to clear their conscience its one thing but if it became a case of “hohoho aren't i naughty i just spent the week eating rubbish isn’t it funny that i was so daft” its very different. To me it’s very similar to people thinking it’s really funny they totally can’t cook....to me that’s not funny it’s a life skill they have never learned and it’s a hard thing to learn but it is nothing to be proud of.

We all handle the hardships and difficulties in our lives differently I personally spent 25 years hiding from the pain of an abusive childhood and a violent and abusive marriage by eating myself to a desperately unhealthy weight all be it with very healthy foods just huge rugby player sized portions....I hid behind my weight and tried hard to diet but sabotaged myself endlessly year after horrible year until after dieting from the age of 13 to the age of 40 I decided to take control of my life with WLS and counselling. I have decided I will NEVER EVER diet again from now on my life will be about good food choices healthy eating and portion control and I will be able to let go of the food demons that have been part of my life since I left junior school over weight and deeply unhappy. I deserve to be happy and tpo live a healthy life free from the pain and suffering dieting and food demonising has given me all my life.

My life will be about everything in sensible moderation...if I want chips I will bloody have them but only a very small amount and the same for any food...I know from bitter experience if it’s banned I WANT IT NOW! So moderation is the way to go and if anyone else doesn’t like it they don’t have to read about it or watch me eat it...it’s my choice.

xxx:gen126::gen126::gen126:xxx

Bloody well said Wanda want to give you a round of applause but cant find the smiley.....but bravo to you.....xx

What a fantastic post and great views.
It took me slipping in the shower and dislocating my shoulder to address that my weigh was out of control so i took the drastic step and started on lipotrim. Dont get me wrong i had done other diets prior to them such as WW, SW and atkins but on all these diets you have free foods so i never addressed my eating habits as i could fill up on free foods. It was only after loosing 3 stone on LT and not cheating once that i began to understand that i didnt need food as a crutch and that i actually wasnt an emotional eater just made bad choices. That was why when my weight loss suddenly stopped inspite of doing everything by the book i sought help from my Dr I had continued on LT for 4 weeks and hadnt lost a pound. Iwas really disheartened and thought thats it i will never be a healthy weight.
when i met with the endocrainologist that my dr had refered me too i was eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly. He told me that from my urine and blood tests that he could see i had a healthy diet my cholestrol was 3.4 and my long term blood sugar 6.5. What i wasnt prepared for was to be told that as a 10.5lb baby and 17 inches long and having always been overweight. (My first memories of weight management was at 9 going to weight watchers) was that my genetic make up was shot at he explained that basically what ever i ate no matter how healthy my body would say lets see what we can grab as fat be it fats or sugar and hold onto it.
When he told me that the only thing for me was a gastric bypass i was gobsmacked. I had never concidered surgery and he spent time going through how it all worked and why. I then did my own reserch and agreed with him that it was the way to go
I see my bypass as having been given one of lifes most presiouse gifts my health.
Like i have said befor the fear of dumping really does keep me on the straight and narrow and i hope it does for years to come. I also can believe how my tastes have changed and to day can say hand on heart i havent missed anything. I realise its still early days and know that that could all change but i hope it wont.
Its been really interesting reading other peoples experiances and responces to this thread.
take care everyone
carole

Back