• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vomiting Blood...I know eww!

PoppyCorn

Hi

I am 4 weeks 2 days post op and on stage 3 of the eating plan. Tonight after eating my first meal containing pasta (macaroni cheese 2 tablespoons) I felt overly full then vomited. I've been sick before (about 4 times) but it's usually foamy 'stuff'. But this time there were loads of streaks of blood along with food and I'm seriously worried.

It's Friday so I can't contact my bariatric team till Monday should I go to A&E or something?

I'm not in any pain and my throat doesn't hurt so should I just wait and see if anything else happens?

Help and advice much appreciated.

Poppy x

Yes, go to A&E. If you had your bariatric surgery done on the NHS and that is your local hospital, go there. They won't be so busy now and there is always a bariatric surgeon on call 24/7 every day of the year including Christmas Day in any NHS hospital that does bariatric surgery so they will know what it is. Hope things are ok.

I agree go to A & E right now. Hope you get sorted soon. xx

In general, a small amount of bright red blood isn't a problem, it happens in vomit fairly frequently when something gets snagged or damaged during the vomiting process. More than a teaspoon of red blood, or old blood (looks like ground coffee in the vomit) needs checking out.

However, because you are still newly post op, any blood brought up should be checked.

Yes, go to A&E. If you had your bariatric surgery done on the NHS and that is your local hospital, go there. They won't be so busy now and there is always a bariatric surgeon on call 24/7 every day of the year including Christmas Day in any NHS hospital that does bariatric surgery so they will know what it is. Hope things are ok.

Lady in London, just for my own piece of mind, does it make a difference if you have your bypass private and you need to go to AnE, as you said if you have had your Bypass on the NHS??
Mona
xxx

hi i would say because you ve been sick a few times the blood is there as the retching has caused the stomach lining to tear maybe or irrtiation... as you did say it was flecked... also if its bright red or fresh then i would think this is why... if it looks like older blood ( dark brown,black) then i would say to go to a & e immediatly.... maybe its because you ve eaten pasta and it s to much for your pouch??..... im not sure hunni but i agree with everyone else and just go and get checked over for peace of mind..... good luck and try not to worry xxx

Hi all

Thanks for the advice - I called the numbers of my bariatric team and left a message, then called NHS direct.
After speaking with the nurse she agreed that as it was bright red and only a few streaks that I had probably irritated my oesophagus and as I feel fine - no pains or soreness - that I shouldn't be overly concerned. I will call my team again on Monday though...just to be sure.

Thanks again for the reassurance, I really didn't want to go to A&E as I do feel fine, but I don't know what's 'normal' and what's 'serious' yet.

From Poppy - feeling fine and suitably reassured :)

Back