• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

week 1 post op diet

k4rid4

hiya, i have my op on friday (15th) and im trying to get some shopping in for after the op. got to say im pretty clueless, what sort of things shoud i be buying for my first weeks????

Different providers recommend different regimes. What consistency will you be on at first (an for how long)?

a minimum of 4 weeks pureed food the consistency of yogurt ( so it runs of a spoon)

You could ry soup , but watch the sugar content because some of them can cause dumping! I made home made smoothies, milk, strawberries and a bit of sweetener, try bananas and peaches as well, I used to strain them and add powdered milk for extra protein.
I also blended regular meals such as sunday roasts the taste was fantastic after weeks of milk!!

oh ye fruit smoothies sound nice, but doesnt blending mean you dont have to strain? whats your opinion on protien powder and shakes?

You still have to strain out the pips. Most dieticians will tell you to stay away from protein shakes/bars. They prefer that you get your protein from natural food sources, as its far more realistic long term.

Sugar free jelly, actimel, readybrek, soups, muller lite yoghurt, semi skimmed milk. I was advised to take protein shots while still on liquids to ensure you get enough protein. And your vitamins

what about slimfast?

Slimfast has got loads of sugar in it, avoid it as it may make you dump. I found chunky type soups blended up are nice. Also roast meats with lots of gravy taste fab. I try to enrich my puree with lf cheesy triangles and milk powders, to give that added protein and flavour.

Last edited:
Custard & cauliflower cheese not sure that's a combination I'd have put together. Lol banana & custard now thats yummy, yummy

fish pie, fish in parsley sauce, allcan be blended up, cheesy mash, all veg just pureed with bit gravy on ,i BLENDED ALSORTS OF FRESH MEAT, chicken ,pork beef the lot really tasty cos you not eating a lot you savour any flavour x tiny munch bunch shots pots 1 of them is enough for one portion at first. measure everything for 1st couple of weeks till you can recognise what is a suitable portion size. Once you get past that point you are a way. Follow what the dietician says cos all hospitals are different with rules and regs on what you can eta and when. use the advice they give and the timings they know best you dont wnat to uoset your inside as its starting to heal xx good luck

My latest fad is mash with extra milk with a teaspoon of marmite mixed in and cheese for protein! its really yummy. No idea where i got that idea from! And no, I'm not pregnant! Haha

Yes banana and custard not with cauliflower lol! I haven't minded the purée stage, have enjoyed bubble and sqeak (cooked healthy) and the fish and parsley sauce too.

Back