• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

why am I hungry so much at the 6month mark

desperate2lose

Hi everyone

My 6 month mark was 2 days ago. I am just so surprised that I am feeling peckish all the time. When I eat, I can eat more than I did before but still I don't get over stuffed ( I don't want to stretch my pouch).

But why do I feel hungry? I thought I put this behind me, especially so soon after the surgery. My weight loss has almost come to standstill. I hate to compare with others but I cant help it.
No i don't count calories and I tried to exercise but when I finish I feel so hungry, it is pointless I feel.

What is going on?

Hi I'm on week 20 post op ( gastric bypass ) just gone, I have just had 2 weeks when I only lost 1lb and was beginning to think i was doing something wrong but this week I lost 4lbs, I think your body tries to hold onto the weight and the all of a sudden it shifts again. I don't count calories everyday, but about 1 or 2 times a week I fill in the 'my fitness pal' just to see I'm having enough calories rather than too many cus I feel a bit faint sometimes and think its when I don't eat enough.

As for the hunger, I do get hungry occasionally but I make sure I have a snack with me, I use the chicken 'Fridge Raider'. The children's packets are only 48 calories and they keep me going for a couple of hours till the next meal.

I also make sure I have enough protein as a meal without goes down much quick.

I also noticed if I drink too soon after a meal it washes it through too quick and I get hungry faster and I get dumping more if I drink because the food gets dumped into the small intestine causing the sugars to be released and the quick release of insulin to lower the blood sugars to the point of dizziness.

Do you eat 3 normal meals or do you have 6 meals, I try to et every 2.5ish hours.
8am, 10.45am, 1.30pm, 4pm, 6.30pm, 9pm. That way the hunger never gets hold to badly.

Im nearly 7 months out now, and I feel quite peckish a lot. I still eat 4 to 5 times a day, but l've come to the conclusion that for me its part of the journey, learning to deal with my appetite. I think its connected to my hormones a bit, and the weather is getting colder which always reved up my appitit3 before. Anyway, its still nothing like it was pre op!

I had hunger from pretty much day one, and fullness. In the long run its actually a blessing as you can differentiate head and body hunger, but for now make sure you're eating enough. By the time you're six months out you may well need a slightly larger plate!

I had hunger from pretty much day one, and fullness. In the long run its actually a blessing as you can differentiate head and body hunger, but for now make sure you're eating enough. By the time you're six months out you may well need a slightly larger plate!

Exactly. We are all different. Aslong as your losing just go with what you feel but we all have different volumes of hunger x

hi I am 4 years post op and I have had hunger from roughly about 6 months out so you are not alone and I feel I can eat way to much food considering I have had a bypass but when I look at it properly the things I can eat loads of are slider foods. (crisps, chocolate and biscuits and all the rubbish we should be staying clear of) I am one of the unlucky ones who does not dump on this type of food so it is hard to say no, that's where the hard work comes in. If I just have proper meals I can only eat a small amount especially if it is a lot of protein. I think it is just a case of good choices over bad and then all will be well. If you are hungry then eat but make it a good choice not a bad one this way the weight will continue to come off. I have been very naughty this year and have gained a stone so I have to start being strict with myself and start again by eating sensible which is a fight in itself after a year of drinking and eating the wrong stuff. Hope you manage to find a happy medium and overcome your problem xxx

at this early stage I found eating every 2 hours worked. I had a small amount of protein.....a cheese triangle, bit of ham a few raisin or nut etc. this keeps the head hunger in check. Do not make the mistake of just snackinh...this is not what this op is about ,.....make sensible choices and you will be fine.

I am 2 years out, last week, and do not feel hungry...ever...however I do eat regularly and have lost the 8 stones I wanted to.

This is a long battle and we have to learn to eat better. Eat good options and you will be fine I promise.

Best wishes x

Back