• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why do i do it to myself! :(

tashaliza

I'm currently 3 mths post op and have found that although I don't dump, I do get nauseous and have to lie down if I eat anything I shouldn't!!!!
I was out today with the kids and I missed dinner so in my wisdom I decided to eat a cake!!!!!!!!!! OMG Why???????
It's like I'm trying to undermine myself..... Why did I do it, I knew I was gonna be ill and have to leave but I kidded myself that I would be fine. I ate it, I was ill and ruined my night out :( will I never learn!!!!! :( :(

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I am the same Tash, cant help myself, i know i should not eat some things but i do, my partner said i thought you would only dump once, will i never learn x

But Tash that is dumping!Its all the same thing,nausea or vomiting or dizzyness or runs all dumping,so yes you have dumped!Lol It comes with time hun.maz x

A few weeks ago I felt a huge impulse to test my stomach and see if I was going to be a dumper or not. Fortunately I managed to resist and gave the chocolate muffins to someone else lol. But it wasn't the thought of dumping which put me off, it was the thought that my stomach pouch was probably still raw and that something solid might damage it. But omg it was tough to resist. I'm an expert in self sabotage after years of doing it and I know I'm going to be tested over and over again, especially when I have PMT.

Just think of it as a blip which you've learnt from. What lead up to it? Was it not being prepared by having something with you which you could eat? If so, did you forget to bring something or do you think you deliberately didn't prepare any snacks on purpose so you'd have an excuse to get the cake? If I'm out and about for longer than expected and can't find anything appropriate to eat, I just buy a skinny latte instead. Fills me up and provides some protein and energy.

Oh and try to get this thought running through your head whenever you are tempted to have something like cake or chocolate for one of your meals:

EMPTY CALORIES! EMPTY CALORIES! EMPTY CALORIES!

your body is having to survive on such a small amount of food now. It deserves for each portion to be something nutritious.

Unfortunately the surgery will prevent you from eating too much but it won't control the demons in your head. It will take much longer for you to learn to ignore your brain. I'm a year and a half post op and it's hard to argue with yourself as to whether you should eat a particular food. Try and stick to the standards your provider told you to (in my case 10g of sugar per 100g of product etc). Try to prevent being in a situation where you will make bad choices, IE take food out with you so you won't get hungry and buy something with too much sugar or fat etc. Eat more regularly rather than missing meals as that won't help either.

Learn to recognise situations that will mean you will more than likely choose the wrong foods as well. That way you can look at it objectively and realise that it is a trigger situation and try to make a more informed food choice.

Thanks everyone, you are all right...... I know I should have prepared by taking some food out with me but I guess I didn't realise that I would be tempted as I haven't felt like cheating!! I suppose it just goes to show that the food demons are still there waiting to trip me up :(

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back