• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS & Gallstones.??

lisa x

is very happy!
Well it has come to our attention that there is a lot of people who are suffering from having gallstones at the moment.
I have been pondering on asking my surgeon(at the L&D) if they will remove my gallbladder at the same time as they do my bypass..

I just want to ask you guys..did any of you have your gallstones removed when you had your surgery.
Have any of you asked and been refused.???

I asked Mr Ammori if they did it routinely with the bypass and he said no.....his opinion was if it doesnt need doing dont touch it :D XX

thanks Jacqui...
I can understand that....if it is not broke..dont fix it...
I will be asking...I am sure it will be refused..
But I have nothing to lose in asking huh??

Some surgeons do , some dont, its all down to the individual surgeon. all the best - Julie x x

Yea its deffinately worth asking as Julie says some do take them out.....I would have had mine out given the chance for sure....Good luck :D XX

My surgery was yesterday. And up until yesterday I was going to have my gallbladder out at the same time. However my surgeon (different surgeon to the one who'd told me they take it out) decided not to even though I already have gallstones.

Reasons given were:
- recovery takes longer
- endoscopic tools are not ideally positioned when a bypass is done, to remove the gallbladder
- when the liver is a bit fatty it can be hard to remove the gallbladder as it can get 'stuck' to the liver a bit

I would have rather had it out but he's the expert.

ill be asking my surgeon to take mine out for sure - cant be doing with 2 ops if they can get it done in 1

Hi Lisa, hope it's smooth sailing for you precious.

My gallbladder went years ago... thank God, never missed it and glad it went after the misery.

I know our Kerry had her gallbladder taken out by Mr Ammori at the same time as her surgery and last time I met Kerry, she looks terrific, losing huge amounts of weight and on the go!

Blue Eyes... Hoping that you are doing ok, it's been one heck of a busy week for you...

Generally, there seems little sympathy from GP's with the gallbladder for some reason and yet it's painful when it kicks in....

Good luck to everyone as always.

Sending love and hugs xxx

Keeley that is exactley how my brain is thinking.

Most of us have lost and gained weight over the years..so the statistics are really against us....
It would be interesting to know what percentage of WLS patients have suffered gallbladder problems...(this is something I cannot find out at the moment..)so this question will be going on my very long list of questions for my surgeon.

My surgery was yesterday. And up until yesterday I was going to have my gallbladder out at the same time. However my surgeon (different surgeon to the one who'd told me they take it out) decided not to even though I already have gallstones.

Reasons given were:
- recovery takes longer
- endoscopic tools are not ideally positioned when a bypass is done, to remove the gallbladder
- when the liver is a bit fatty it can be hard to remove the gallbladder as it can get 'stuck' to the liver a bit

I would have rather had it out but he's the expert.
wow...nice to see you posting one day after surgery hun ...
i hope you are doing ok....

back to the gallbladder stuff...that's interesting....
I wonder had it been an open operation it would have been an option then...???thank you hun..I have another question for my surgeon :cool: xx

Id be interested to see what the surgeon says too Lisa....It does seem that loads of people who have had WLS have gallbladder trouble....Im dreading it happening to me! XX

lisa x said:
wow...nice to see you posting one day after surgery hun ...
i hope you are doing ok....

back to the gallbladder stuff...that's interesting....
I wonder had it been an open operation it would have been an option then...???thank you hun..I have another question for my surgeon :cool: xx

Yeah I'm alright. Still in hospital obviously but have been walking around lots and got dressed. All good :) The pain isn't as bad as I thought !

I remember someone saying to me there was an old saying about gallbladder trouble... and common if ''fat and forty''.... now I wonder if that's why we get little sympathy with this condition... because it's supposedly ''fat'' related?

I don't know... but you can live without it, so get rid.

If it happens, deal with it then, but just be aware it's common and I was scanned and booked in a couple of weeks later... had keyhole surgery and then was sent home the same day with a humungous gallstone in a test tube!

For me, it was soon sorted and the recovery was the best I've had in my lifetime...

Good luck, love and hugs to all sufferers... hope it's soon over for all of you xxx

what are the symptoms of gallstones please

Sharp pain in the upper chest area, radiating around the back... often sharp pain onset... can be triggered through eating fatty or dairy type foods if you are a sufferer.

If you have pains of this nature, I thought at first years ago it was the heart, but A & E was the best place and dealt with it swiftly and it was sorted easily via keyhole and day surgery.

Love and hugs Chinaka xxx

Hi, this is a really interesting subject. On the day of my surgery just before I went into theatre. This is one of the questions I asked my Dr (talk about last minute questions). He said gallstones are from rapid weightloss and cool as a cucumber he said no problem, just come back and he will take them out !! Oh ok .. hahaha xxx

Hi Lisa, hope it's smooth sailing for you precious.

Generally, there seems little sympathy from GP's with the gallbladder for some reason and yet it's painful when it kicks in....

Painful isn't the word Bev! I felt like I was dying and had never known pain like it - was so glad to say good riddance to my gallbladder when I had it out 4 years ago.

Reactions: Bev
Couldn't agree more Stella and it's the nature and area of the pain which makes it worse...

Glad I haven't every got to have that again, but the surgery was very straightforward day surgery and quite smooth quick recovery in my case.

Love and hugs xxx

Back