• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got gallstones

TessG

After being in a lot of pain for a while and having a few trips to doctors, back to hospital and finally to A&E, I have had a scan that confirms Gallstones.

Homerton, where I had my surgery, have said prior to the scan that should gallstones turn up, that they want to do any gallbladder removal surgery. Now my experience with homerton for my WLS was not good. So I am quite worried about having to go back, but I guess it does make sense.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had their gallbladder removed at homerton. How long after referrel did it take till you actually had the surgery- i'm in agony alot of the time and want it done now! Also, was the experience ok? Is it a very painful proceedure?

If anyone has any tips for calming attacks that would be great!

Thanks for any help and advice.

Hannah

Hi Hannah,
sorry I haven't got experience at this hospital, but didn't want to read and run. I too have gallstones but so far they don't give me much grief (I've had them since the age of 16 or so). I know the pain can be horrendous! Feel for you.
Hope the surgery comes quickly and goes well. Hugs.

I can't answer on Homertons ops but i did have my gallbladder out about 11 years ago and it was fine! Saying that i'm a tough old bird and have a pretty good pain threshold. I can only imagine any post op discomfort cannot even touch on the agony of an attack, so use this as your comfort and good luck xxx

Oh I know the pain of having gallstones, I had mine taken out when I had my WLS.... I had 50+ stones that were little bigger then a pea. It's been 6 weeks since my surgery and I feel better then I have in a really long time and plus I have lost 35 pounds so I would say that helps. Good luck with your gallbladder problem I am sure you will be just fine.

The stupid thing is, I asked for my gallbladder out when I had my WLS because I just knew what my luck is like! They wouldn't do it. They say fair, fat and forty are the at risk groups. Well i'm 2 out of the three. It is also in the family and I have food intolerences- which apparently is quite common in gallstone sufferers. But now I throw up at least once a day. Have an attack every 2-3 days. I have been trying to work out what is my surgery and what is my gallstones and its just impossible! I'm really jealous when I hear that people who are only a few weeks out of surgery are doing really well (although I am really pleased for them!) I am yet to manage any real exercise and my diet isn't that great because I just can't keep it down. So at the moment i'm trying to eat what stays down- which isn't always what is best. e.g. protein. I'm so frustrated.

hanisreg said:
The stupid thing is, I asked for my gallbladder out when I had my WLS because I just knew what my luck is like! They wouldn't do it. They say fair, fat and forty are the at risk groups. Well i'm 2 out of the three. It is also in the family and I have food intolerences- which apparently is quite common in gallstone sufferers. But now I throw up at least once a day. Have an attack every 2-3 days. I have been trying to work out what is my surgery and what is my gallstones and its just impossible! I'm really jealous when I hear that people who are only a few weeks out of surgery are doing really well (although I am really pleased for them!) I am yet to manage any real exercise and my diet isn't that great because I just can't keep it down. So at the moment i'm trying to eat what stays down- which isn't always what is best. e.g. protein. I'm so frustrated.

I am sorry that your surgeon was not willing to take your gallbladder out when you had your surgery. I know the pain that you are going through it isn't fun at all. My doctor but me on a diet that he called the B.R.A.T. It is ( I forget what the B was for R is for rice A is for applesauce and T is for toast) maybe that will help you keep something down.

Back