• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Yor not on a DIET !

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
when I had my de-fill yesterday my dietician said I might as well have next weeks appointment there and then, we talked did height weight, 12 kg loss since op confirmed which he was happy with
I then asked for some suggestions for main meals as although I do make food i am more chicken veg pots, salmon veg pots do you know like plain boring... he mentioned the following
lasagne
chicken wraps
fajitas
enchiladas
pizza
curry
I said yes but they are not diet food he said YES i know but you are not on a diet it is all about portion control. You can pretty much eat anything within reason (No chips that was a dead cert)
I just wondered if the same goes for bypassers ad I see so many recipies for food with no sugar cut down this take out this, if its all about portion control cant we all just eat pretty much anything (within reason I am not stupid I dont mean KFC burgers cakes chocolate)

I think after spending 23 years on and off diets it is hard to get your head around the whole thing.
Last night I thought I woudl try some food so made cauliflower cheese even my hubby was looking at the fat contents etc... I managed 1/4 of it so was chuffed that the band must be working better as i am sure 2 weeks ago I woudl have scoffed the lot.

Sorry if teh above doesnt make sence just trying to clear my foogy brain xxx

Helen

have a good friday
xxx

Before I start, this is my personal preference as I'm sure it will be generally dismissed as wrong for a bander, only one person on my team said I don't need to count calories but then that is not much good when I'm comfort eating or having mad PMT / head cravings.

I think you have to find what works for you, I prefer to try and keep within a good calorie amount and I'm trying to avoid sugar as I have really bad battles with cravings...plus I want to eat healthily.
I can't trust myself yet to let go of all recording of what I eat...I am still in the process of kicking an addiction to food in general and emotional eating is a huge problem that no surgery can take away for me.
Also I have 7 stone left to lose, at the moment I don't feel I can just trust me and the band alone ...that's something I will hopefully be able to do a little bit further down the line at goal/maintenance. Even then I think there will be times when my addiction overrides common sense and I will have to monitor calories and force myself to lose the extra pounds immediately.
I'm sure most banders are capable easily of sticking to sensible portions and good foods when at their proper restriction but I personally can't say that I can do that yet.
I don't want to fail at this like all the other ways to lose weight. Keeping an eye on the calories is the logical way for me to make sure this works for ME...eg cals in are less than I burn off daily there fore weight will be lost. When I don't record everything it's suprising how little morsels creep in without me noticing.
I started losing most weight when I stopped eating randomly and put myself on a proper eating plan and exercised every day. I don't want to just hope for the best any more..I want to make it work.

Last edited:
Thanks Neen that makes total sence, that is what i am TRYING to do I look at most things an try to eat 5% or less fat in anything as I have always tried to but failed. I try to avoid anything silly like teh odd biscuit or packet of crisp. I think more about food now than I ever did and I coudl probably quite easily cry at the thought of not eating some of my old food (although that is silly as being 3 stone lighter already I can feel the difference)
It is so much in my head I dont eat because I am hungry I eat because I want the food I just bought or the food I see on my kids plates etc.. its about more than just food for me and thats why I see myself as on a diet.
It is hard to explain and this doesnt make sence but it is so easy for a dietician to say yes you can eat this this and this just a small amount.
Hopefully we will all find the happy ending x

You're doing great Helen xxx It is so hard to break the habits we had for so many years, I often give in and just think "oh s*d it!!!" and eat whatever I fancy..that's all too easy isn't it? Especially when we still have the same daily things going on with family and life in general. I find it hard still to not use food to comfort myself over things daily.
What I will say , is if you do calorie count it's a heck of a lot easier to feel like you have had enough food with the band...making just eating right so much more do-able..and having that support from the band whilst trying to choose the right foods makes it easier to stick to and then you feel more boosted up and able to continue.
I'm sure we will both get to the point where we can relax around food...because as we get nearer to our goals and feel better about ourselves food will not be such the focus of our lives as it has been...it will be natural and normal and just one thing we enjoy out of so much more that life has to offer.
Just need to remember, we get happiness from life, not food and we can change our habits, not overnight, but at the right rate for each of us personally.
You're doing it Helen xxx Don't worry hun

The reason why bypassers avoid sugar/high fat foods is becase we may dump. So I suppose, for me, I'm not on a diet I've had to rethink the way I eat. I haven't dumped yet, but I also haven't pushed myself with either sugar or fat.

I really don't want to dump. This is the reason why I opted for the bypass and not the band. The thought of dumping puts the fear of god in me, hence, low sugar & low fat, this is what I needed. Something to 'force' me to choose correctly.

I didn't eat a crappy diet before my op, I have always eaten fairly healthily, just ate enough for 3 people! I eat anything I want, just a lot smaller portions than I used to, so you dietician is right, it's not a diet, it's a way of life for us.

Put it this way then Helen, you can eat whatever you want....you are in control of what comes into the house and what gets bought...if you really really want some of the old foods that you liked..no-one is stopping you...sometimes once in a blue moon..go nuts and have something..but what we must remember is we have the choice...just look at what you're doing now as you choosing to become slim instead of eating what made you fat and unhappy...you can have the treat foods again...of course you can...you're the grown up buying the groceries.
I am telling myself that right now, I want the good consequences of being health conscious and choosing healthy food...maybe I'm going to eat something naughty later...I also believe/hope that later will not come and I will be able to pass on the fatty sugary stuff I crave now...I'm not banning myself from it so it's not some forbidden magical food that I can never have again ever,...I am simply choosing to postpone having it for the time being...and in the meantime hopefully losing my taste for it and getting some pounds off...does that make sense? Hugs xxx

As i have not had my op yet but soon facing the surgeon .......i am finding all this post op food reads interesting. I have already been told by dietician that after op you should not drink fizzy drinks including diet ones eg diet coke ( at mo i only drink water or diet coke so i will find this hard ) and no chips.
But i have read things on this site of people having both ...................as Neen says i thin it is going to be a case of seeing what i can handle, but i also dont want to dump...............all these decisions no wonder alot of us are confused............lol

Thanks neen xxx make total sence

Diet coke - I was told as soon as i started my weight management course 2 years ago to stio all fizzy drinks so I did I was then told on the pre op diet to drink them - but didnt, I was then told after the op not to drink them.
I will occassionally have teh odd fizzy drink and dont feel any different however if i get food stuck and its not budging a gulo of diet coke does teh trick.
its all new to us all and takes ages to get used to but we will get there xxx

You are doing so well and you are all right, it is a personal choice. I stick to a fairly strict diet because I have got used to it and it works for me. I have been told to stay off fizzy drinks and even flat diet coke gives me jip.
Every one to thier own and good luck with what suites you

Back