• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Zionak.... saying hello

Zionaka

Hi all :cool:

Thought that after weeks of snooping, I'd come out of the closet and say hello and thanks for all the inspiration and advice.

A little about me.....

Im Zionaka, 42 yr old mommy of two (daughter 8, son 7) from East London.

I've been fat ..... forever, fat child, fat teenager, fat woman... and I have so hated the word "fat" and prefered all kinds of mor pleasing to the ear labels such as big boned, plus size, voluptious...... but bottom line at 23 stones.... fat is what it is!

In between being fat, I've been the supreme goddess of Yo-Yo dieting, like many here I have repeatedly done EVERY diet ever conceived over the last 30 yrs, soups, cambridge, cabbage, atkins, lipotrim, WW, SW, tablets, pills and potions (that turn poop orange), with varying degrees of short term success. Yes, I lost weight... anywhere between 1 and 7 stones (numerous times)... old habits are hard to break, I've always gained it back +++, sound familiar?

Several yrs after having my children (which only seems like yesterday) I reached my largest point.... the scale at home started displaying ERROR everytime I got on it..... I shook them, I banged them, I straight up cursed them out and I figured it was time to buy some new scales, however, it dawned really slowly that the scale was working just fine....... problem was I was now OFF THE SCALES!

I was hesitant to seek help from my GP, but knew I was out of control. All my life everytime I have walked into to see a GP, be it for a cold, a headache or even a zit, they'd shake their head and say "It's because of your weight". Granted, being overweight is a health risk but up until 2 years ago I had no health issues, always prided myself on being "big but fit"...... then the chest pains started, developed high blood pressure and was admitted to hospital. I've never been so scared in all my days. I started doing some soul searching and got honest with myself. I'm fat and was killing myself. My sister was diabetic, I'd had gestational diabetis, so knew it was just a matter of time. And worse still.... I dont want to drop dead and leave my babies alone to be raised by god knows who!

I bit the bullet and spoke to a locum GP about WLS, he was not very supportive, told me that black women are just made that way, go home, eat less and exercise. I crawled away discouraged.

A few weeks later I spoke to my own GP, who told me that the local PCT were not funding WLS in my area, she advised me to write to them myself and give them my history. I wrote a 5 page letter, outlining my plight and begging for help. They emailed me straight back and promised to refer me to Homerton Hospital, which they did. My BMI was 48, I weighted 148kg, they agreed my funding.

I had my first appt at Homerton in August 2009 and saw Mr Mannur the consultant/ surgeon. At the time I was interested in the gastric band, mainly because I thought it was a cheaper option that they might agree to and a less invasive procedure. Mr Mannur recomended me for RNY gastric bypass.

I've since attended the group sessions and WL clinic, I've lost about 12 lb since. I originally thought I'd be given a surgery date for March 10, however after waiting for months and going before the panel and reapplying for funding (dont ask why), 2 weeks ago I was given a pro op appt dat for 1st Oct 10 and My surgery date for 20th Oct 10.

I'm about fit to burst with excitement, anticipation and fear in equal measures.

From reading this forum, I figure I will be put on the milk/ liver shrinking diet as of the 1st Oct 10. Lawd, I hope I can find me some willpower, lol.

Ok...., thats me, sorry for the long post.

#Lovin the forums and hope to keep posting

Well hellllllloooooo and welcome :)

Great story and pleased you have your operation date. Look forward to seeing your progress :)

Hi Zionaka and a big welcome to this lovely forum.
:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

I loved reading your story and I have to admit I was pretty angry when I read about the locum GP's 'black women are built big' comment!

What utter and racist garbage!!!!!!!!!

I have loads of black friends who are slim and slinky! Wooooooo that makes me steam!

Anyhow......it's all sounding really good and very exciting huh?

You'll be able to hack the pre-op diet because it's a diet with a purpose and you know it's time-limited. I look forward to getting to know you and following your journey. If there's anything I can do to help, just holler! :D

hi sweetpea, lovely to read your story and i wish you all the best and send luck for your upcoming op xx

Hi :D
Welcome !! I enjoyed reading your story and my story is very very similar, im about the same age, weight and 2 kids one is 7 and one is 18.
im having my op on 7th Oct at Orpington and am very excited but also scared stiff :S.
Will enjoy catching up with you on here and comparing notes . Where abouts in London are you ? im on the outskirts in Bexleyheath.
Dawn x

Hi
thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the site hunny
xxx

Hi Zionak, welcome to the 'club'.
I am starting my pre-op diet the first week in October and the Bypass op at Sunderland on 15th.
We can keep tabs on each other, lol!
Best of luck and hope all goes well for the future - Paul x

Hello and welcome to this fantastic place, so pleased you have joined us, and look forward to following your journey xxxx

Hiya luv - looking forward to following your journey - congratulationsssssssssssss on getting your date for surgery and i wish you the est of luck with that!
welcome to WLS! xxxxxxx

Hi and :welcome2: to WLS ....... Great story, so typical of us "big" ;) ladies. Hmmmmmm maybe Im a black woman underneath as Im built that way too! Stupid GP, how they qualify some of these docs I'll never know, good job common sense isnt required :D
Good luck for October, not that far away from my surgery, 27th Sept, so we can support each other (HUGS) X

Hi, welcome, its a really useful and supportive site and I can honestly say that I have never seen a harsh word spoken here. Good luck with your weight loss journey. xx

Hi and Welcome to the site, glad you have joined us and your story is so similar to a lot of people of here! So glad you have your op dates etc and im sure we can help and support you on the liver shrinking diet! lots of people on here are due their ops so you will be able to go through this together.

jayne x

Ahhhhh (((hugz))) what a beautiful warm welcome, much appreciated as are your good wishes.

I'll certainly keep you all posted as I continue to read your contributions keenly.

@Dottychic.... to funny.

Hi Zionaka and a big welcome to this lovely forum.
:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

I loved reading your story and I have to admit I was pretty angry when I read about the locum GP's 'black women are built big' comment!

What utter and racist garbage!!!!!!!!!

I have loads of black friends who are slim and slinky! Wooooooo that makes me steam!

Anyhow......it's all sounding really good and very exciting huh?

You'll be able to hack the pre-op diet because it's a diet with a purpose and you know it's time-limited. I look forward to getting to know you and following your journey. If there's anything I can do to help, just holler! :D

Thanks Charis, he was actually a black GP, so whilst his comments were a gross generalisation, vexing and unprofessional..... there was a hint of "appreciation" in what he said.... He always gives me "the eye" when I go in there LOL... I think he actually has a "fetish" for big women... hey, if I'd met him outside of the surgery ;)

Thanks ladies

oooooh if he gives you the eye, you could get him to refer you and pay him back in kind!;);););)

Back