• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 week till op!

costaerer

hi guys
soz not been on for weeks been really busy!
op is 1 week away!! argh...havent attempted to start low fat diet !!! guna trryyyy and start tomorro! ne one got ne inspiration for me!!?? xx

Hiya when i was on my pre op diet i had 5 diets i could choose, i mainly stuck to salads or weight watchers meals i lost 3/4 stone in 4 weeks but i did cheat on the odd occasion if i'd have stuck to it religiously i would have lost more. Good luck with your up and coming surgery and hope to read your journey when you are all done and dusted, good luck with the low fat diet. X

The only inspiration I can give or more a motivational kick up the backside is to follow the pre op diet you were given 100%. If your liver has not shrunk enough for them to do the op, you might be opened up and closed without a band. It has happened, its only for one week!

Good luck!

i wasnt given a pre op diet!!! thats why its harder...they just kinda muttered, try and have a low cal diet the week before. its rly hard to just start like that!

i wasnt given a pre op diet!!! thats why its harder...they just kinda muttered, try and have a low cal diet the week before. its rly hard to just start like that!

Oh my goodness, thats very strange. No wonder your finding it hard! If it helps my diet was slim fast and fruit and veg. So 3 -4 shakes a day and a couple of bits of fruit. Thats around 1,000 calories.

Others have had to do a milk diet and then some are given a low cal/fat diet but are at least given an idea of what to have.

The idea of the pre op is usually to shrink your liver to make the op easier, overweight people have enlarged livers in the main. Hence the strict diets we are put on pre op.

Just try and aim for around 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day.

Good luck x

Hi Costaerer,

Im shocked that you havent been given a pre-op diet to follow. No wonder you are finding it hard. WHo is your provider?

Mazza is correct. The pre op diet is to shrink your liver so that the surgery can be carried out safely. If it is too big - or too fatty, the surgeon may have to abort the operation.

Hi Coaster, I am about 6wks post op followed a very rigid plan for 6wks after and 1 wk before protein drinks and clear soups with small amount of fruit and vegtables.
Who are the providers or hospital?

Hope all week goes well for you Mia
H

Hi OP.

You could also try a atkins style diet, this is what I have been given by my surgical team.

I'm surprised they would mutter so little to you given the emphasis other surgeons but on liver size going in to surgery. My surgeon actually said that if we cut you open and your liver is too big we shut you straight back up and send you home.

I have been easing myself in to my pre op diet as I started it a few weeks early so that I could start the weightloss process and find how I can work with the diet going forward.

Im going in to my last 10days and my daily diet will be something like;

early AM glass of sugar free redbull
mid AM protein bar and a herbal tea especially for the liver.
Lunch MetRX pre mixed protein shake
Dinner Meat with veg

Hope you find something to work with ...good luck

Hi Costaerer, wow i 2 am seriously shocked that they have not given u a pre op are u going private and if so who are u with.
There are so many diff diets but it is so important that u do follow one to make sure ur liver has shrunk enough to make sure surgery is as safe as poss for you.
Maybe u can post on here to see if others have had surgery at the same place as u and see what diet they have been on, when are u meant to be having surgery.
Take care luv Roch xx

i think the reason they didnt is because im at the lower end of the scale. my bmi is like 39....

ok im guna start tomorrow just salads and protein till friday!

im having it on nhs, through mr ammori at spire manchester

You could be right in regards to being at the lower end of the scale. Im also at the lower end, but maybe they just told me to be on the safe side.

Mr Ammori features quite heavily on this forum so I'm sure a few people will be able to fill you in on their experience.

Whether or not you are at the lighter end of the scale is irrelevant, you could still have a fatty liver. It has been known (at least one person on here) where they stuck to the pre op diet religously for the time and they were refused because their liver was still to fatty.

The liver is very delicate and can tear or rupoture very easily so the smaller it is the better, especially when having key hole surgery. If I was you I would ring them first thing monday morning and insist on being given a pre op diet to follow. Wishing you luck x

Hi Costaerer, my op is the the same day as yours at the Spire in Harpenden. I too am surprised you haven't been given a pre op diet to follow. My bmi isn't that much higher than yours and I have had to lose 5% of my weight and then go onto a 14 day liver shrinking diet. This consists of 4 slimfasts a day, 1 oxo cube, 1 sanatogen complete multi vit tab, up to 1/2pt jelly and minimum 2ltrs water/fluids.

Maybe it's worth giving them a bell on Monday to ask whether you should have been given a plan to follow? :confused:

All the best for Saturday,
Cuppa xx

i will do.but him and the bariatric nurse said just try and have a low fat diet!! they both new i was on holiday the week before and wouldnt be able to eat as carefully as if i was at home! yet they still didnt say anythng. i will call monday xx thanks for all ur advice

Back