• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Soups and shakes??

janice123

Hi everyone

I'm having a band in 1 week!! I've just been shopping with the two weeks after op in mind. I've got some chewable windezze, sugar free jelly and low fat custard pots, but got stuck from there! I wasn't sure which soup and which protein drinks to buy I also didn't know which multi vitamins to buy, do they need to bd chewable? Can anyone recommend which brands are best for banders. Is there anything else I should be getting in for first week after op?

dont wanna read n run im sure someone will be along to answer u soon xx

Firstly, always check with your provider and their guidelines. Each one has different guidelines and they are the ones that you really should follow.

On saying that we were advised to stick to fluids at a consistency that can pass up a straw in those 2 weeks liquid.

As such, I didn't do any protein shakes as I don't like them.

Soups etc should be strained to remove bits or thinned to be more liquid, but once blended and thinned you could actually have whatever soup you wanted.

Other things

milk. Make milky coffee, milk hot chocolate using a low cal powder, milk shakes using NAS crusha.

Fruit juice and vegetable juice, try to have one a day as it will help with preventing constipation too.

You can have fruit smoothies, blend but remove any bits, thicken these or milkshakes with ice as they fill you up.

If you're allowed to have jelly, make sure it dissolves in the mouth before being swallowed.

Liquid yoghurts are ok too, (drinkable ones) or you can have things such as actimel, which are a good source of protein too. :)

dont forget plenty of water - even if you don't feel hungry or don't want anything of substance, plenty of water or NAS squash is important . . .

That's fab top Kat, some great ideas there. I love milk, youghurts, milkshakes so should be ok was just worried about the calories in the milk. Should it be skimmed or is semi skimmed ok? And how much should you be consuming in a day? I will check with THG about what I should be having just wanted to get some bits in, incase I'm not up to shopping after op.
thanks

I drink skimmed, only because I have found since op that semi is just too creamy and milky. I use my skimmed milk as a good source of protein, but with low calories and as its significantly lower than semi, its great for milky coffees, milkshakes and smoothies. I did find post band that dairy stuff made me feel bloated and as such I went back to clear liquids for a few days until it settled and eased. (at this point I was only on about 300 cals a day - but didn't feel hungry and when I asked about it being so low, they advised this is ok at this point, but to stay hydrated is particularly important)

Also, if you're taking multi vits, either have a soluble one or a chewable one at this time. I no longer take them and stopped doing so when I went onto normal foods as I get very balanced foods, but its a good idea to take them at this stage.

After you have your band, in the liquid stage don't worry about calorie intake, you'll find that you will probably be taking on about 6-800 max. Don't worry about this content in the early days (or protein/carb levels) but make sure you stay hydrated.

Janice your provider should give you some diet guidance for post your op. Mine recommended semi skimmed milk in the first few weeks, because you are only having limited intake immediately after the op and you need to focus on repair and recovery in the early days, then after a couple of weeks it was onto skimmed milk. As topkat says your taste buds may change though, so you may prefer skimmed milk. Milk is an excellent source of protein (and improves/speeds up weight loss in my opinion) so if I knew I hadnt had enough calories in day, I always added in extra milk/milk powder - whether it be skimmed or semi skimmed. Best of luck :)

Thanks for that flutterby. Do you drink protein shakes? Could you recommend any? I was tempted to buy slim fast as these were on offer in tesco thought they'd be handy to have at lunch time at work but unsure of sugar content. X

I had slimfast as that was what was on my providers guidance sheets and to be honest I didnt really concern myself over the carb/sugar content. I still dont - but what I do focus on primarily is getting the protein levels in. I now have the odd (maybe once or twice a week) protein shake (I use PHD strawberry lavour with milk rather than water as otherwise its too sickly sweet) as its got a far higher protein content than slimfast. Other banders I know use weider shakes which they swear by. Lots of options available, and I am sure some other banders / bypassers / wrappers etc will also give you the benefit of their own experience/choices.

I still have a slim fast every day , I also don't bother carb sugar content etc just protein I also have ovaltine at night x topkat seems to be giving good advise I am not Vander so wouldn't like to give wrong xxx good luck

Hi Angie

Yes topkat has given grt advise. Think ill get some slim fast in and try them now and again. Suppose it's a learning curve of what works best for you. Thanks for your reply, you look grt btw

You will find that the tubs of slim fast which you make up yourself have less carb etc content than the ready made bottles :) you can then also have control over the amount you use and make too

i bought 2 tubs yesterday at Sainsbury's theyre half price £2.79 each :) i only get the strawberry one i don't like chocolate much and definitely not chocolate shakes or anything xx

Thanks for the advice flutterby, going to go buy a blender this week too so I can make smoothies!

i have a kenwood smoothie 2 go and it's great, not expensive and does ice too, but have found it great for mixing normal milk shakes and for smoothies etc too

i bought 2 tubs yesterday at Sainsbury's theyre half price £2.79 each :) i only get the strawberry one i don't like chocolate much and definitely not chocolate shakes or anything xx

That's handy to know, guess where I'm off to tomorrow!! Lol x

Hey! Im being banded this coming saturday at solihul in birmingham with healthier weight and just did a shop with tescos online in line with the info given in their booklet:
1Ambrosia Low Fat Custard 4 X 125G

1V8 Vegetable Juice 1 Litre

1Heinz Cream Of Tomato And Basil Soup 400G

1Heinz Beef Broth Soup 400G

1Heinz Classic Soup Carrot And Coriander 400G

1Heinz Oxtail Soup 400G

1Heinz Cream Of Tomato Soup 400G

1Tesco Peppermint Tea Bags 20'S 40G

1Hartleys Sugar Free Lemon And Lime Jelly 23G

1Hartleys Sugar Free Orange Jelly 23G

1Ovaltine Chocolate Light 300G

1Actimel Fat Free Original Drink 8X100g

1Actimel Fat Free Strawberry Drink 8X100g

1Innocent Kids Strawberries Raspberries 4 Pack

1Innocent Kids Apple And Blackcurrant Smoothies4x180ml

1Bovril Chicken Savoury Drink 125G

1Robinsons Orange And Mango No Added Sugar 1L

1Robinsons Summerfruits Squash No Added Sugar 1L

1Crusha Milkshake Strawberry No Added Sugar 500Ml

Just thought i would paste my shopping list in case you found it helpful! good luck! xx

Back