• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 days post op - bloomin starving

lifebeginsnow

Hi All

Really concerned as have been feeling SOooo hungry the last 3 -4 days, & i thought i would lose my appertite after surgery.

I have been told by my provider to increase my fluids til i can take in 200ml at a time over the first 3 weeks, well i can take 400ml no probs at all & nothing seems to be staying in my new tummy.

Initially i had restriction with sips of water & really liked the feeling as felt so in control, yet now i'm worried i could go down the old route of keeping myself topped up - if that makes sense.

My scars have all but healed, i have had no pain worth mentioning & havent had since the op & i do not feel any different to before the op - starting to wonder if they put a few scratches on my tummy & took my money & ran!

Did anybody else feel dissapointed initially that things do not seem to have changed? I have been planning my new life for so long & now its here, i can hardly tell a difference.

Please let me know how you felt after the op, i hope its not just me!

Thanks in advance x

I seem to be able to take in large quantities of fluid/soups/smoothies, even SF jelly and yoghurt... but I'm told this is normal and we won't really feel any restriction till we're onto the next stage.

Like you, I'm having a trouble free time post-op so far (cross fingers !) Let's hope we stay that way !

All the best, x

I was the same, i couldnt understand how i could have a whole mug of soup! The difference once you go onto soft/solids is unbelievable, your know you've had the op then!!!!! The hunger is defo head hunger and will soon go xxx

I've just drunk a whole mug of soup too (220ml) and my tummy is gurgling away. Thought I'd overdone it at first as I do feel full now but it's staying down. The hospital advised to drink no more than 240mls per hour so I'm trying to stick to that. Not sure I'd be able to manage 400mls though, seems quite a lot!

Are you sure you're not mistaking normal tummy gurgles for hunger? I could quite think I was still hungry now listening to my tummy rumble, but I know it's impossible.

Funny you mention wondering whether you'd actually had the surgery as I was thinking about this earlier and wondered whether we've just been hypnotised into thinking we have, but it's all psychological to make us eat less! :8855:

I was thinking the same, i am 4 weeks post op i can eat almost anything i want in small portions. I get lots of tummy gurgling and burps, i am really struggling with the head hunger.
So i was interested to see the replies to this thread.

I am fine with head hunger until their dinner is cooked and the smell really gets me going.:cry::cry:

I was chopping carrots today and nearly put one in my mouth automatically, luckily I remember, just think what that would of done a raw carrott.:eek::eek:

Getting nervous about how I will be after the by-pass, your comments really help reading that you are ok after only a few days....

Thank guys XX

I seem to be affected much more by cooking smells now than when I was pre-op. I think it's because now I know I can't have any food whereas on pre-op I would have a small bite of whatever my son was having if I so fancied.

It was so, so difficult when he cooked roast lamb dinner on Sunday as it's one of my favourite meals. I was literally drooling at the smell, hence why I mashed the insides of a roast potato & parsnip with some gravy just so I could have a little taste :8855:

I must say I've not actually felt hungry though, apart from when I wake up first thing in the morning but that's probably because I'm having a late night milky drink now which I never used to do.

Back