• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 things I didn't expect with my WLS

Loving the Loop

Was feeling in a reflective mood today so here are 10 things, 5 good and 5 bad, that I wasn't totally prepared for or expecting after my WLS even though I had done loads of research beforehand

Good
1. How little pain and discomfort there was straight after the operation, I am a big woose and was expecting a lot of pain as it was major surgery but I just didn't have any.
2. Not feeling Hungry at all, I had read about it I just didn't believe it was real but 13 weeks out and I have never had any feelings of hunger and have to eat to a schedule.
3. Actually starting to enjoy when people comment on the weight loss, I had some serious concerns and problems with this at the start but coming to terms with it now.
4. How quickly you go down clothes sizes. I am considering this as a good thing though it does hurt you in the wallet.
5. Just how wonderful it feels when you realise you have a tool that works and that there is actually a chance at a better life again.

Bad
1. How difficult, and vital, it is to get your fluids in, again I had read about this but didn't appreciate how important it is.
2. For the first 5/6 weeks just how much of a lottery BM's can be, both in frequency and consistency.
3. That I would need so much sleep, I knew I would need lots of rest straight after the operation, but now 13 weeks out I still need at least 2 hours more sleep each night.
4. Feeling so much colder all the time.
5 Can't actually come up with another negative

These are just my own personal observations on what has been the best decision I have made ever and if anyone wants to add any of their own feel free, I just thought it might give some food for for thought to anyone still pre op.

Foxy789

Was feeling in a reflective mood today so here are 10 things, 5 good and 5 bad, that I wasn't totally prepared for or expecting after my WLS even though I had done loads of research beforehand

Good
1. How little pain and discomfort there was straight after the operation, I am a big woose and was expecting a lot of pain as it was major surgery but I just didn't have any.
2. Not feeling Hungry at all, I had read about it I just didn't believe it was real but 13 weeks out and I have never had any feelings of hunger and have to eat to a schedule.
3. Actually starting to enjoy when people comment on the weight loss, I had some serious concerns and problems with this at the start but coming to terms with it now.
4. How quickly you go down clothes sizes. I am considering this as a good thing though it does hurt you in the wallet.
5. Just how wonderful it feels when you realise you have a tool that works and that there is actually a chance at a better life again.

Bad
1. How difficult, and vital, it is to get your fluids in, again I had read about this but didn't appreciate how important it is.
2. For the first 5/6 weeks just how much of a lottery BM's can be, both in frequency and consistency.
3. That I would need so much sleep, I knew I would need lots of rest straight after the operation, but now 13 weeks out I still need at least 2 hours more sleep each night.
4. Feeling so much colder all the time.
5 Can't actually come up with another negative

These are just my own personal observations on what has been the best decision I have made ever and if anyone wants to add any of their own feel free, I just thought it might give some food for for thought to anyone still pre op.

Thank you for this helps me believe I'm right in what I want and that I might have a chance to be a 'normal' size

los in it

Loving this! My top 5
1- pain post op....none what so ever,I even asked if my op took place only seeing my wounds proofed it did!
2-watching the weight just melt away did weight myself everyday at the start for the first couple of weeks now it's Saturday morning only
3- food & drink- really food post op,it's like a switch as been flicked off in the early days I couldn't get a ramekin dish of food down and had no desire to eat more
4- getting healthy - glad to have ditched the junk for a more healthy choice
5- baggy trousers!- as the weight fell it was time to buy new clothes,the joy in picking up my old size,putting it back and getting not 1,2 but 3 dress sizes smaller.... I've never smiled so much or been so happy!
Not so good stuff
1-visiting the smallest room in the house- that has changed some foods give me jip it's either the bullet is stuck in the chamber or its rapid fire!
2- food&drink- at times still struggle to get enough protein in the same with drinks
3- hair loss- it does happen and it can be upsetting but I know it will grow back
4- skin- I Deffo have saggy skin and I knew I would I'm trying to love it but it's not always easy but thank goodness for very firm control knickers and s good M&S bra!
5- head demons- the body kind of takes care of itself but the head space well that can be work in progress and have to work extra hard when she devil turns up
Well that's my top 5 or so!

sundown

Great thread Loop!

Good:

• Feeling no hunger whatsoever; either physical or head hunger
  • The speed of recovery
  • Not having to worry about 'falling off the wagon' and going on a binge if the scales aren't moving fast enough
  • The positive reactions I've had from those around me when I thought I'd be swimming against a sea of negativity
  • The amount of aftercare from my provider
Bad:

• The amount of pain immediately following surgery (I had a reaction to morphine so couldn't be given it)
  • Trying to get protein to 60-80g a day the provider suggests is challenging (even with a daily protein drink!)
  • BMs are no longer a guaranteed daily event
  • Trying to eat small frequent meals whilst doing a very busy and stressful job is proving difficult (some days I'm not getting to 400 cals!)
  • Taking a huge hit on my social life; prior to this I'd be eating or drinking out around 3x a week.

Spitfire

Great post. Here's my top 5 after my gastric sleeve

1. Yep no post op pain. Left hospital the next day and was back at work 2 weeks later
2. So much more choice when buying clothes and last week a fluorescent orange ski jacket with fur. I would have looked like a Jaffa in that before.
3. Being able to wear really high heels again. A fab pair of expensive shoes no longer kill my feet. I guess it's because they don't have 3 stone extra weight bearing down on them
4. Never feeling hungry
5. HRT agrees with weight loss and I'm finally seeing the benefits.

And my bottom 5

1. Trying to drink enough water but and having to manage when so as not to conflict with food.
2. Bowel movements or lack of due to lack of fluid
3. Bingo wings
4. Hair loss although it seems I'm the only one who notices it
5. People thinking I am ill as I've lost weight.