• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things you didnt expect after the op.

I have a rash all on my boobs and under my belly, wonder if its the fastabs here ??

I didnt expect for my tounge cheek and left shoulder to be bright blue from the dye they use to test the pouch, and that 4 days post op there's no sign of it fading.
I didnt expect to feel so good today after feeling so bad for the first 2 days.

I had no idea how long it would take me to recover.

I'm now almost 8 weeks post op and am just beginning to feel normal again.

I had alot of problems with the pain in my left side, which seemed to go on for weeks & weeks & have spent the majority of the past 8 weeks sitting down while my husband has done EVERYTHING.

But finally, things appear to be improving. I went out for the day yesterday for the first time since before Christmas, and nothing hurts today - I'm just absolutely exhausted!!

I didn't expect to have so much pain, finally it's gone now though.

I didn't expect to be able to eat and keep down Chocolate and Ice Cream but I can, not a good thing I have to say.

I didn't expect my weight loss to be so slow, even when not eating chocolate or ice cream !!!!

I didn't expect the after care Im supposed to receive to be just an occasional phone call !!

I did expect miracles - more fool me !!!!!

my rash was small spots with a hard top my skin was red and i scrated for england so much i made my legs bleed. i was in agony................kath x

Hi Steph, great thread. After my op my partner said my breath really smelt for about 4 weeks. I think this was ketosis (had previously done atkins so knew about itbefore) as when you are liquids you aren't having many carbs and its a by product of your body using fat for energy. It goes when you start to eat proper food (jacket potato, porridge etc) but I agree it was horrible and I carried about breath freshner all the time. I wasn't expecting the terrible pains I get with trapped wind. I get it very low in my stomach and its very crampy and feels like contractions. I love the fact that I have much more energy now and can do much more at the gym without getting knocked out. I was worried about how much time I would need off so was relieved when I was fit and well after 2 weeks (although I didn't go back until 4 weeks because of the christmas break)

I forgot one of the most important suprising changes for me so Im going to add it now.
Pre-op I was always in pain of some nature, something always seemed to be wrong and hubby was constantly saying "its just not fair, if it CAN hurt, for you it does", it was either my joints or my back or my head or my arm or...well you get the picture....EVERYTHING hurt!!
I just felt so damn poorly and was tired of it all.
I didnt expect to feel so much better so soon. The pain and suffering eased on the pre-op diet and stopped post-op and I am just so thrilled.
Steph xx

I didnt expect it to take eight whole weeks for my wounds to close up and heal, I usually take a while to heal but damnnnnnnnnnn!!
Steph xx

I didn't expect so little pain, I didn't expect to feel so well directly after surgery, I didn't expect to tolerate food so well. I have very low expectations of the first 3-6 months, I thought I would be in terrible pain, have trouble eating and probably dump and vomit lots. However, it was all pretty smooth for me. I expected food to become my enemy but it didn't, my love for food and eating continues. I did not expect to fight my fat head as much as I do, I really thought my head was all sorted but I learned differently. I aslo never expected to find a family of friends that I really count on in an online forum, I have never relied on a group of people like the fantastic friends I have found here.:D

I didn't expect clothes to get so big so quickly and it took a long time for my head to allow me to buy a sensible smaller size so they would last longer!!

I expected my hair to fall out about 3 months out but not to the extent it did - though it does come bac and has a distinct kink in it now despite being dead straight all my life - work that out!!

And I NEVER expected to lose so much weight - or to become so narrow across my shoulders

Or not to feel hungry - but to eat to get 100 gm protein daily (I'm a DS!!)

Or to feel so well and be so grateful to have had this surgery and my new knee and my second knee ( to be done soon - I know but don't want to jinx it lol)

Keep positive - and obey the rules you are given WLS is such a wonderful experience

Angela x

I did not expect to loose so much weight so quickly and to get to this size so quickly.

To pass bloody wind the day after the op.

The amount of pain wind can give you in the shoulder.

NEGATIVES
* I didn't know my hospital would ship me to another hospital when I had complications
* I didn't know how hospitals don't cater for obesity
* I didn't know I would be off work for 3 months (+ a three month phase back)

POSITIVES
* I didn't know I would lose weight this fast
* I didn't know I was lacking in confidence - but not any more
* I didn't know how positive I would feel about the surgery
* I didn't know that my whole outlook on life would change
* I didn't know that I would control my problems with food
* I didn't know I could be this happy

Great post xxx

Oh I forgot one
* I didn't epect to have 5 vitamin B12 injection within 2 weeks to start the course :0(

Back