• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

13 Weeks

Muttley1900

I was spurred on by another thread recently, where the original poster talked of being 13 weeks post op and the changes that have happened for them. So apologies for the non original thread topic.

My 13 weeks milestone, and yes it is a milestone for a number of reasons, is counting from the 1st July when I started my two-week Pre-op diet.

So why is 13 weeks so important? Well I suppose it is as it is truly a quarter of a year. Quarter of years were such a long time when I was a child and now days, over six of them can pass before I notice, so I think it’s worth the sit down and think / reflect on what I have achieved in this short (or long depending on how young you are) period.

Well to get the facts and figures out of the way first of all…
- I am now 12 stone 10 lbs – Started at 16st 6lbs;
- I’ve lost over 3 and a half stone in that time (52lbs in total at this weeks weigh in);
- Now “only” have just under 1 and a half stone to go to get to my goal;
- I’m way ahead of my original target (I thought I’d not be this weight until the middle of December);
- My trouser waist size has gone down from 42” to 34”;
- My suit jacket size has moved down from 46” to 40”;
- My shirt collar size has moved down from 17.5” to 15.5”;
- My BMI score has moved down from Obese at 33 to now being Overweight at 25.5 and only 6lb to go before I have a “normal” BMI score;
- As you can see by these measurements, my body is in a much healthier shape – so much less fat around my waist and much better proportionally.

Exercise
- I’m now on the exercise bike for 30 mins a day on a high setting (6 out of 8) and peddle at around 25 mph for the full 30 mins;
- I attend aerobic classes for a minimum of 2 and max of 4 times a week (depending on where I am with work);
- I’m doing a class a week using kettle bells for some resistance training;
- The dogs are having longer and longer walks;
- I find myself walking to the shops, pictures etc etc and not driving.

Food
- I have yet to find anything that disagrees with me (this maybe a bad thing, time will tell) BUT, I haven’t tried everything – no sweets, crisps, chocolate etc etc. On saying that, I did get a small amount of indigestion feeling the first time I had Broccoli, I’ve tried it since and no issues – maybe I didn’t chew enough;
- I’m sticking to the rules Protein / veg & salad and then finally carbs (which I have had NO potatoes/rice/pasta/bread etc etc in this time);
- I am acknowledging the FACT that I am addicted to food and therefore have to be always vigilant not to slip into old ways e.g. oh, I’ve not had a snack today, I must have one… NOPE, if I don’t need it (not feeling hungry or peckish) then don’t have it;
- Drinking – lots and lots of water (or NAS squash);
- The quality of the food I’m eating is much much better – all for the taste and textures and not about volume any longer;
- I’m eating out with and entertaining friends & family – so the things I used to enjoy are still there;
- No alcohol…yet…

Other Non Scale Victories
- Health is great – no medication for Blood Pressure or Cholesterol now;
- No night time reflux (which I used to suffer with from time to time);
- Not snoring any longer (my partner is v.happy with this and so are my ribs);
- Skin looks and feels much healthier;
- Sleeping well and feeling rested;
- I’m now fitting into my old smallest suits – which I love;
- I’m now back to wearing my old Levis (which has saved me a fortune in buying new ones at around £70 a pair!);
- My not at work wardrobe selection has increased majorly as I’m now not wearing one of two pairs of jeans and one of three baggy jumpers/tops of some description or another. Now have a selection of 7 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of cords, 2 pairs of chinos, a dozen or more shirts, a good half dozen of differing jumpers/fleeces and 3 or 4 rugby tops);
- I’ve been very fortunate to date by having very little discomfort or pain;
- I’ve felt happy enough not to hide behind big glasses and a big beard any longer and have gone back to contact lenses and trimming my beard up every week.

Now for the not so good bits…
- I’ve always had an active sex life (except for the last two years of my failed marriage), but now I feel like a teenager again, but thankfully my partner is happy with all of the extra ::cough:: attention;
- I can’t say that the hunger has completely gone away – but I wonder how much of this is truly physical or “head hunger”. Either way, I haven’t missed a mealtime yet…
- It’s hard to see all the positives sometimes, when say I’m getting on the exercise bike in the morning, feeling tired and aching from a great work out the day before… would be so easy to just stay in bed… but I know I can’t.

As you can see, though, all of the “bad” bits put together don’t outweigh one good point above.

Would I do it all again? Hell yes!

I think I've attached before and 13 weeks later pictures as well...

Attachments

• StartFront.jpg
    StartFront.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 140
  • StartSide.jpg
    StartSide.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 13WeekFront.jpg
    13WeekFront.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 13WeekSide.jpg
    13WeekSide.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 141
Wow well done Muttley!

I just don't get why, at 12st 10lbs your BMI is the same as mine at (this morning's weigh in!!) 9st 9lbs. Are you seven feet tall or something? :D

Anyway I regard a BMI of 25.5 as normal, not overweight. 25 point anything is normal isn't it?

Oh and why is your new found libido in the "Not so good" column?

Wow well done Muttley!

I just don't get why, at 12st 10lbs your BMI is the same as mine at (this morning's weigh in!!) 9st 9lbs. Are you seven feet tall or something? :D

Anyway I regard a BMI of 25.5 as normal, not overweight. 25 point anything is normal isn't it?

Oh and why is your new found libido in the "Not so good" column?

Thank you Ruthie, you can always bring a smile to my face.

I'm still 5'10 (in my stocking feet) - I use the NHS Choices website BMI calculator BMI healthy weight calculator - Health tools - NHS Choices which agrees with this websites calculation that I've a BMI of 25.5 and it also suggests that just below 25 is "normal".

At the moment it tells me about my 'score' that "This result suggests you are overweight, which increases the risk of becoming ill with problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease and cancer".

Is it a different calculation for Women and men?

Teehee, the libido tongue in cheek "issue" is in the not so good column because as lovely as it is to spend all day in bed... other things keep getting in our way... like work... having to eat... seeing to the dogs.... but all the other times....

Last edited:
Is it a different calculation for Women and men?

No Muttley - it's the same for us - 25 = overweight, 24.999999 = normal.

Well done on your success so far.

Back