• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New experience

I don't count actual grams of protein either but follow the protein first rules wherever possible and keep a rough count of how many portions I've had in a day etc.
mr97 your guidelines are the same as mine just that my puree was recommended to be thicker. To be honest, its great getting off of puree and onto real food again and thats when we start learning how to eat for the rest of our lives. I've been lucky and haven't had issues with any food but bread and pasta (and I was kind of expecting that). Won't be long now and you can get onto the soft stage. Good luck.

Thank you Yvessa. That's good to know. I'm sure I'll learn to listen to my body better - or rather sleeve - as I move along the stages and, as you mentioned in your post, give my stomach time to heal.

Thanks for the ego boost Chrisa, I may well be unrecognisable to some, but not for the weightloss. ...I had to shave my little beard off prior to surgery and decided to keep it off! I managed to lose 0.3grams shaving it off - every little helps! lol

JoJoTgirl - I'm eating protein first, like you and having carbs seperatly and only if I have room. I don't count my protein as such, but being a little obsessive I can get needlessly fixated if I don't watch myself. I've managing not to count calories in my head or on paper and I'm only weighing myself once a month. This is a big deal for me as I used to drive myself nuts with it all.
Thank you for letting me know how you are adjusting to foods of a thicker texture and how they're suiting you.
Since having my op I no longer watch TV food programs, I used to love them. I still enjoy cooking but I lost so much of that 'if I'm not eating it, I'm thinking about it' type behaviour. It feels like a freedom. I have also found it easier to detect head hunger; it just seem more pronounced for some reason. Today was a new experience also: I felt very thirsty so I went and bought a bottle of water. Prior to surgery all I felt was hunger, real or not, but never thirst. It's as if the signals from my brain are now more heightened and clear. Good luck on your journey

Am I the only person not counting protein intake? I know what foods are proteins and try to eat all the protein element of the meal, not always eating the carb element - but I'm not sure how much I'm getting and haven't been given advice on how much protein there is in foods. Have had one call from the team to see how I'm doing and if there's any pain, etc, but nothing else since the op. How do I know if I'm not getting enough protein?

As for feeling full - it took me to normal foods stage to get this. The first couple of weeks on puree I thought they hadn't done the op as I didnt have much restriction, or much hunger either thankfully. I know I have a problem eating slowly - I'm used to bolting food, not chewing properly or giving my body or brain time to realise when its full. I found last night I'd overeaten slightly by eating too fast and having an 'afters' of SF jelly - it was too much and I felt terrible for a good half hour. Gonna have to seriously try to slow down as I dont want to experience that again. Not nice!

I'm not counting protein intake either. We weren't told to, quite the opposite. Just told to make sure to eat the protein first on your plate followed by veg and then carbs. We were told not to count calories either. They said you just need a healthy balanced diet and not to obsess about calories etc as those days should be gone!

Back