• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1st appointment: Ashford Jan 5th

grizabelle

Hello you guys,

EDIT: Not the 15th - the 5th of Jan!! Read the letter wrong the first time. This sums me up well! lol.

I'm posting again because I finally got my first appointment in the post: Jan 15 2015 at the Ashford hospital. I'm surprised because i thought they'd refer me to Chichester as it's nearer (right? confused here, my mum seems to think that they are one and the same, but pretty sure Chichester is in West Sussex and Ashford in London!)

Anyone else going to that orientation? do drop me a line. it does seem awfully far in the future.. I'm sure people on here have already been through the process at Ashford too, what's the usual process and what are the waiting times like? What procedure did you have? How long between orientation and surgery? Not that i want to rush ahead and not do it all properly, etc.. i just want to know!

Thanks to anyone that can advise me here.

Frankie

Last edited:
Hiya

Is it the Ashford in Kent that you're having your op? If it is it may be a better journey. When I lived in Bexhill I was dreading the journey to Chichester as that coast road can be a nightmare!!

Hi Lincs,

Yes, looks like it. I'm a bit confused as to whether I have to do a weight management thing for a year before i have the surgery (my GP says i don't, but some other helpful ladies on here have said i most likely do) but the orientation - for whatever lies ahead - is on Jan 15.

No it isn't, it's on the 5th!!! January 5th. Silly me, read the date wrong - that's 10 days sooner then! lol. better go back and change the subject of my post now.. silly me.

I live in Bexhill! Where do you live now? One might suspect Lincolnshire :)

I'm same as you I guess. I received my letter for the first appointment which will be way sooner than yours 10/10. My gp said I wouldn't have to do the tier3 as things changed, but they didn't gave me more details a doc said they didn't have more to give. I have been refused entry to tier3 3 times as they weren't accepting applications anymore. So I now have the appointment with the bariatric team. I am not really sure what will happen from there. But not so long now.

Good luck with your appointment.

Will watch this thread with interest. I have been wondering if, with all the new rules, it is still such a long process or is it much quicker now.

Good luck

Debbie

good luck with yours too pinkcere - you're headed to Ashford on Oct 10?? That's awesome, so close now! Really curious about how it goes for you. Please do post here and update us as I'd like to know about the timeline and the sorts of things they ask you, how they present your options etc. How are you feeling about it all?

Is it ashford hospital or in hospital in ashford?????
Coz my GP asked me if I wanted to go to ashford or london as I am in hastings and I thought ashford would be easier so I said ashford but when letter came it was ashford hospital in Middlesex not a hospital in ashford...lol.. X

it's Ashford Hospital in London. They sent me a map - St Peters isn't far away, and I think the two are joined together or operate somehow together? I thought I was being referred to Chichester so I was a bit surprised to find that I had to go further - not that I'm complaining! :)

That's the hosp I am at... Ashford you do the first session and your op will be in St. Peter's... Xxx I was referred in May and recieved a letter from them that the meeting was on 11th August.. But then I got a letter saying my appointment 18th June.. That's when it all started now my op is in 2 weeks... Ahhhhh they are really. Lovely...but hosp comes under Surrey.. It's on m25 junction 11 and ashford hosp is junction 13.. It's about 1h and 40 mins from hastings... But well worth the travel as they are really good and quick xxx

Last edited:
oh my so you've been through the first bit! what was it like? did you feel you had to try and convince them to do the surgery?? I'm so worried that I won't qualify. My doctor assures me I do or i WOuldn't have been referred or funded, but still I'm super scared about what to say/what not to say etc. I realise that's silly and that I should just be honest and hope for the best, but one can't help but fear that they might say one thing wrong and be turned away. ugh!! so nervous. when you feel like your whole future hangs on this one things being possible...

They are lovely and quick.. Give u a lot of appointments to see if your committed.. No once your there your there you don't have to fight for your place..lol they are really good as long as you commit.. They said middle of November in the beginning but now it's in 2 weeks really quick and efficient and always treat me like a human not a freak show..lol.. Xxx keep. Me update as we are quite near each other... Xxx

thank you so much for that, and i'll def. keep in mind that you're just up the road! i'm so glad to read what you've said there. hope it's the same experience i have Jan 5, a bit of a longer wait for me.. wow, I wish you well for your surgery in two weeks! which are you having?

I went in this wanting the band but due to chromosome genetic stuff Dr.irukulla said that gastric bypass will be better for me so having that... Every appoint I had from them they have brought it forward so u never know... What happens on your first meeting you get the talk about each procedure then the dieting talks to u and the u go one to one with bariatric nurse which she sends you for bloods and a ecg... That's where you can let them know which procedure you feel would suit you...

After thAt u will get dieting appointment where u talk about where it all started..etc and then she tells you what's what with pre and after op diet...

Then next appointment you meet your surgeon.. And talk about what surgery you want and he feels would be good

After the next appointment is anaesthetis.. She is lovely....

Then I had to see medicine doctor due to my diabetis...

Then if people need to see psychologist... And if u stop breathing in the night u have to sort that out first to.. But I did have them issues so after that it's the big MDT meeting where everyone you seen has a meeting and decides what surgery you need...

Then once it's all decided and you are happy you will get a pre assessment appointment... Which mine was on the 30th sept which then was offered op on 17th October... So I think pretty fast from June to oct as some peeps wait quite a while xxxx good luck and enjoy the ride as this will be your journey to a healthier you.. As I said always here... Xxx

wow, that sounds like a lot of appointments - how many times did you have to go up there and back then to cover all those? do they combine into one day where possible? wondering where I'll put my kids for all that!

glad to hear it was such a positive experience for you. I've read that GB is better than sleeve for "curing" diabetes - I'm pre diabetic and about to undergo sleep study for apnea. did you have that as well? Not completely sure if I have it but it would appear I do.. trouble is, I only have two young kids to rely on for reporting symptoms so I have to do sleep study on 21 Oct. I'm also a carrier of muscular dystrophy (my son has it) and that can put me at risk for cardiac problems and I already have a leaky valve.. I've been steadily gaining weight since 2009 despite about 1000 attempts to fix the problem.

you must be so happy that your surgery is just around the corner!

Think I went about six times... And after op you have to go every two weeks for a few months as they need to keep an eye on you... Is a big commitment but well worth it xxx

Back