• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 Weeks Post Bypass - Help!

DSIM

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had some advice. I had my keyhole bypass 2 weeks ago and have recovered very quickly and feeling really well.

I was advised by my dietician that I should do 10days liquid then move onto mush (scrambled eggs, blended shephards pie etc) However today I saw the same dietician exactly 2 weeks post op and she said I'm doing really well and can stop blending the soft foods and introduce melba toast with protein topping ( cottage chhese, humous etc)

My concern is that this seems alot quicker than others have progressed and will it do any harm? Surely she must know what she's talking about?!

Also I'm eating about 1/2 fish pie/ shephards Pie's for dinner but don't feel like I've had restriction. Anyone else felt they hadn't had restriction at this stage??

Sorry for all the questions

Hi Danielle

Dont worry the advice you have recieved sounds about right, we all progress at different speeds, and there's no reason why you cant progress onto more solid foods now if you able, the reason we are put on liquid followed by mush post op is to let the joins inside heal up completely before we start squeezing solids through, you'll also find everything inside is a bit tender so the liquid stage post op lets it all settle down too.

My advice would be to take things very slowly to start and see how things go, strangley crunchy things like the melba toast get turned to mush in the mouth and go down ok, just experiment abit at a time and if something hurts or doesn;t feel right go back a stage for a week and then try again, obviously stay away from really hard things like solid meat etc for a bit longer as they really will give you a problem.

Restrictions also another funny thing, at the moment your eating slurry foods which will slip through the stoma really easilly, as above this stage is really to get you through the first post op month and let things settle, once you start to eat more solid foods you will get restriction, and when you do you'll know it as it feels like you have a house brick lodged in your chest.

Take care and have fun

Hiya Danielle, I think SS has given you some good advice, I can't really add to that, just wanted to say hello and good luck with your weightloss chucks.

I was advised three days pureed, then two weeks mush and then start introducing solids etc....we are all given different advice but take on board what Richard says he is the wise owl of the boards and someone I turn to for advice lol...xx

i felt invincible for first three weeks, eberything was going down fine, then i got cocky and thought i could each pretty much anything...your body soon lets you know if you've rushed things.

You'll be fine hon, its all trial and error at this stage, chin up and happy losing x x x

It feels like your having a heart attack, trust me you will know when you eat something your stomach dont like! Or you've eaten too much! Its horrible :(

Thats another difference since surgery...quite often, before surgery, i used to eat till i felt really really sick but back in the day it just meant i'd breathe deep for ten minutes before i tucked back in.......no wi have to leave the house for at least an hour so i can't even smell food!!!!

oh i twill, trust me!! you will still eat too much now and again cos ur brain will tell you there's no way you'l be full from that, but you won't do it often. What I struggled with is that if i eat till i was satisfied, i would then go sit in the lounge and for the next ten minutesit felt like the food was still swelling and i ended up feeling sick. SO the really difficult thing to learn was to stop eating just before you feel satisfied cos it seems to carry on swelling for a while afterwards...i'm only just getting used to this now x x x

Yeah must admit, thats whats getting me at the moment, I don't really know when I'm full, I just stop becase I don't want the heart attack feeling! It's really hard to read my new stomachs signs...not that I ever knew before when I was full, cuz I did'nt, I just ate and ate then.

hi hun, hope everything goes alright hun and all i can say is i hope i recover and heal as well as you do lol xXx

it will be a pain in the arse.....then it will become a friend and will vary daily, but the end results should make it worth the hassle x x x

Not had that one but, it depends how much you overeat as to how bad it is and u just learn from ur mistakes x x x

Back