• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories on fluid stage and mushy stage

inca10012

I am 7 days into the 14 day fluids only stage. I was banded last week. Should I be consuming a certain amount of calories?

My average for this week is about 300 per day, basically 1 x aptimil, 1/2 can soup and a hot milky drink. This fills me up so much I don't think I could possibly eat anymore at this stage.

Is this ok?

Also when I move to mushy, I am a confused, if I eat any type of food surely if I chew it to within an inch of it's life, it doesn't matter what it is, it will be mushy when it is swallowed? Can anyone explain? My booklet suggests very milky wheatabix or a 2 tablespoons of mince - to me mince seems way more dense to wheatabix.

Sorry - maybe I am over thinking it all.

i had a bypass so dont know if is different, but didnt want to read and not reply... as a bypasser i was told not to count calories or protein early on but only to do this when on normal food stage... at that point which i am at as 17 weeks post op... i have to have between 800 - 1200 cals per day and over 60g of protein per day.
Im sure a bander will be along soon to help xx

I am 7 days into the 14 day fluids only stage. I was banded last week. Should I be consuming a certain amount of calories?

My average for this week is about 300 per day, basically 1 x aptimil, 1/2 can soup and a hot milky drink. This fills me up so much I don't think I could possibly eat anymore at this stage.

Is this ok?

Also when I move to mushy, I am a confused, if I eat any type of food surely if I chew it to within an inch of it's life, it doesn't matter what it is, it will be mushy when it is swallowed? Can anyone explain? My booklet suggests very milky wheatabix or a 2 tablespoons of mince - to me mince seems way more dense to wheatabix.

Sorry - maybe I am over thinking it all.

This post sounds like me last July after my op!
Dont' worry just now about calorie intake. You just need a good fluid intake and what your having is fine except I'd maybe try a wee bit more water so that your kidneys are producing enough pee! You've got to wait for the swelling around the band to go down before you start passing any textured food through it. Just take it slowly and remember its like a squishy hole (called a stoma) that the food goes through so when the swelling goes down you'll probably get a big mac and chips through it fine until you start filling your band!.... but thats not really the point! If you start changing your food choices, you'll lose really quickly.
Eventually when you get onto real food, only then will you be able to learn how to eat properly to be able to become calorie deficient.
Good luck. Its the best thing I EVER did ( apart from having my son!) but its a close 2nd for me!!

Oh thanks so much for the advice, think I am over analyzing to be honest. When I should really just take a day at a time and follow my providers advice. I am full on 300 cals a day at the moment, but maybe that will change soon. So far I have lost 18 lb so I must be doing something right, really pleased.

Thanks again - really enjoying the journey so far - it's certainly life changing.

Back