• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

20-stone grandmother dies days after having gastric bypass operation

omg... that poor lady R.I.P..

OOOO god im worrying now!!

:cry:Awww Blue Eyes... I haven't seen this poor lady's story before and it's truly made me weep... I feel so sorry for her and her family and I am so sorry... poor Angel sitting there and her lovely Grandchildren... it's so sad xxx :cry:

You only hear about the failed attempts in the paper and the bad story's of this type of surgery...Im willing to bet a pound to a peace of poo that she had underlying Problems.....It really is such an awful shame but its the risk we run when having this type of surgery.

Anybody who says its taking the easy way out is clearly mistaken.

I feel really sorry for her family.

Last edited:
I almost cryed when i read this, as this lady it seems was fit and well before she had wls.
I went cold and im sending prayers for healing to her family God Bless them all.
For anyone due to have surgery and reading this will be freaked out. Try not to worry to much Kelly, and everyone else. This has saddened me so much. xxxx

Yes it is very sad indeed. And you never know the full story anyway, she may well have had underlying problems. Having said that, I also have never heard that surgeon's name. It is important to research your surgeon as best as you can (in my view anyway). These cases are rare, thankfully, but it's all part of the bigger picture that one should have before undertaking wls.

Kell Angel... there may have been much more than has been said in this story precious... I know how you must feel and I would be exactly the same... but there are many of us on here who have successfully come through surgery and it's heartbreaking to think of this lady, thank goodness it's only isolated cases like this poor lady that we hear of in this way, I do feel for her family and it's distressing, but we have to keep positive and focused, plus you know so many of us that are really pleased with our surgeries.

I would do mine again tomorrow, since I was heading for a short life with my health as it was pre surgery.

God Bless this lovely brave & much loved lady xxx

such a sad story, unfortunatly i take everything the Daily Mail publishes with a pinch of salt ! they do like to scare munger and dont always print the facts - remember the MMR fiasco and suicide links to Champix (all untrue)
Kate x

So, so sad.

I have heard this story before, it was the hospital I am going to, but not the same surgeon.

I was so concerned about it that I spoke to the team and was told that neither the lady nor anyone in her family made any contact with The Spire, they had no idea of any problems at all. There was masses and masses of support for the hospital

I felt quite relieved though of course still upset that it had happened, and am happy to go ahead with my surgery at The Spire Soton, but will make sure, as any of us should, that any pain at all and we should seek help.

I feel really, really sorry for the family she seemed as though she was a really nice lady.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post Jane. Such a terrible thing for pre oppers to have to read when wls in itself is a worry.
Thankyou for your positivity love as people do need to be reassured too.
The above posts say it all really and there was probably lots of other things that they havent printed in the paper.
As much as feel so sorry for the family i also feel sorry for our pre oppers that are so worried too. Terrible situation for all. xxxx

Such a terrible thing for pre oppers to have to read when wls in itself is a worry. Thankyou for your positivity.

That's why I felt I had to post about it. I am worried about my op, I think every pre-opper is, but the fact that this happened at my hospital is not going to stop me going through with my op.

Nothing will alter the fact that it is sad, but having had a long chat with some of the staff I feel that the story is misleading as it implies that she or her family were in constant touch with the Spire, when they were not, it was her GP so far as I know.

Please any others waiting for their ops, don't let this put you off. We know risks are involved, but I truly believe that in this case the hospital are not in any way to blame as they were not contacted.

This is so sad :(

feel sooo sorry for this ladys family -- r.i.p luv! jane you gotta look at it from both angles luv.... would the hospital admit it if she had been intouch? theyve got to be very carefull what they say as they would be liable for being sue'd, i cant comment on what did or didnt happen because i wasnt there but either way them perforations should never had happened in the first place.... isnt that what they fill you with water for to make sure theres no leaks or air bubles cuming from anywhere??? and she must have been in alot of pain before she left the hospital to go home why wasnt she checked over? you cant say ohhh she didnt get in contact with us because shes never had this surgery before so if shes been told by the surgeon that the pain is just the normal healing process then you would believe the surgeon and ask for more pain killers wouldnt you?
im going into surgery believeing that im going to feel like ive been run over by a bus so i am expecting a hel of alot of pain so post surgery how do we know if that pain is normal or not?
im not scared by this story being pre op because as i see it....

get thin or die trying!!!!

im going to die eventually anyway being this fat and will loose my eyes too and if that happened id kill myself anyway, i dont think i could live without my eyes!
so if i die on that table it will be for the best - i believe everything happens for a reason!

I agree partly with what you say Keeley, but I live close to the hospital and can remember it happening as well. I have no doubt that she did not tell the surgeon she was in that sort of pain or she would not have been let home. Any surgeon that was found in any way to blame would in all likliehood have been struck off. The hospital would have had to show their records of any calls made after she was discharged as well, so I am confident that it was not all the fault of the hospital. That surgeon has done 100's and 100's of ops with no problems. So far as I remember and as is confirmed by the story the family only spoke to their gp. I know if I had such severe pain I would be camping on the doorstep of the hospital where I had the op.

I wasn't there either, but it was 2009 it happened why on earth would the son bring it back up now? And whatever is said the press love a good story knocking wls.

At the end of the day I believe 100% in the team (which the surgeon in question is in as well) and these stories don't do anyone any good. Anyone that is serious about the op will already know that perforations are a risk so I don't think any pre-oppers (like you and I) should be getting excessively worried about this. That was the reason I posted, in the hope that people would not be unduly worried and upset thinking it could happen to them, or was more likely to happen to them.

However it is viewed that poor lady lost her life and her son has lost his mum and the grandchildren have lost their grandmother and I really feel for the family in all of it.

That's so sad, my wishes go out to the family.

Such a sad story which only serves to bring it home to all of us the risks involved with the surgery. People still say its an easy way out though! My heart goes out to the family XX

Never meant to upset an pre-oppers so I hope people are not annoyed with me for posting this link.

When I was pre-op, I actually wanted to know about these stories. I knew all the good stuff, the benefits, the great success stories. I went to an information session at a private hospital and the risks were literally brushed off the table, ridiculed at times! Now that upset me. There are very real risks associated with this surgery.

I didn't want to go into this surgery blueeyed (pardon the pun) and wanted to know exactly what COULD happen. Not for one second did it make me question my decision to have WLS. I was going to die young, fact! I was not going to be able to avoid countless diseases associated with obesity. So I was always determined to have surgery and just made sure I was aware of all the possible outcomes. Whether you read about them in a statistic produced by your team, or you read about them in the news.. same thing.

I do take everything the Daily Mail prints with a pinch of salt as well, and the press in general love a good 'bad' story unfortunately. I feel upset for this lady, she seemed like a nice woman and this is very tragic of course! And very very sad :-(

This type of story shouldn't scare or surprise anyone pre-op because you would have done your research and would be aware of these potential risks. They are very minimal thank Goodness!

sorry jane luv - i dont mean to upset you by what i said, im just saying thats all - lol - and i agree - why have they brought it up after 2 years? and ye it is a newspaper and they do talk balls lol but something just dont ring right in my head there - because they must have known she was in pain b4 her leaving the hospital because surely if shes in that much pain like the fam said she was as soon as she woke up she would be asking for more pain killers? so they have got to have known what pain she was in b4 she left hospital! you could understand 1 perforation being missed but there was 4, how did the surgeon miss that!?
poor woman! i bet the family have thought about allsorts.
i said to my mum and my husband....when my time comes and i try backing out of surgery or get cold feet, you tell me im doing the right thing and make me go through with it and my mums reply was.... i cant do that keeley because if something happens to you on that table i will never forgive myself for talking you into it - this has got to be your decision and your only and i will support you in what ever you want to do!
so i bet the family of this woman are thinking.... if onlly wed have talked her out of it, allsorts must be in there heads! bless them, i just hope they realise that even tho she has passed away she probably still made the right choice to go through surgery because i know at the size i am now, nearly 23 stone! i havent got a life - i am alive but not living! id rather be dead than carry on the way i am!

Back