• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Womans stomach explodes with gastric band

Nasty!!

I think it's a timely warning to us all that if there's any doubt at all, speak to your bariatric team.

Xx

Is this the woman from Coventry?

I'm sure it doesn't happen very often but as someone said, never ever trivialise your concerns. If worried go to your team x

Wow! we all know there are risks involved in WLS, I don't think it will put me off having my surgery though. I hope she makes a full recovery

I read it, she lost about FOURTEEN STONE!! Her band slipped (didn't say why-wrong foods/drink or faulty band/operation?) She was in AGONY yet never rang her surgeon, GP, nurse, hospital...DOH! Days later she was rushed to hospital. At worst she over-ate or drank fizzy stuff, at best she didn't seek advice/help...it seems to me it was her responsibility, or lack thereof that caused it. Anyone having 'stuff' done or put inside yourself has to be SUPER alert to anything different, us ladies have to check our breasts, surely having very bad tummy pain, even after a few years of being banded, is a reason to ring your provider or GP? Sorry to sound harsh but I'm in for a band THIS THURSDAY! And, frankly, I was terrified reading the headline (No doubt my parents were too! It was also in the paper they get, The Mirror)
xxxx sharon

I hate the way it says her stomach exploded!I doubt it did but that wouldnt be a big headline.Please dont set to much store on articals in the papers.

I had a summons from my mother yesterday while I was at work. Shad read this story in the Metro newspaper and now she was completely freaked out by it. When I went over later she told me she didn't want me to have the surgery. I had to point out that the woman had ignored all the symptoms and signals that something was very wrong.

On the positive side she listened, for the first time, about the different options, what i was likely to go for, where I'd have it done and how she could positively be involved. I knew I'd allayed some of her fears when she was able to continue watching Emmerdale.

thanks for link...will keep an eye out for symptoms and wont take things lightly.

husband and mum still want me to take the band out when i get to goal!

I was lucky enough to have the choice band or bypass and eventually chose the bypass because of the potential risks of slippage of a band worst case scenario, the invaseiveness of the fills and to my mind the potential for infections from them (all be it probably in my mind rather than fact). Not to mention the potential if I didn't get my head in the right place I could so easily cheat the band with naughty foods. For me the bypass was my answer, despite the more drastic initial surgery and the effects and potential problems there as well, for others the band is their prefered choice or even their only choice. This article is a timely warning for each and everyone of us not to ignore changes in our norm and not keeping intouch with our teams even when discharged from follow ups if we are even slightly concerned over things, they know the potential problems and symptoms of them better than we do and even our Gp's so learn from this near tragedy and remember to listen to our body for potential problems and get advise.

I read this after a 'lovelly' colleague bought it to my attention in the Metro.

We all have the risks of a band explained to us, and as another poster said we have to take responsibilty of alerting our WLS team to unusual pain etc. I have my doubts about the 'stomach exploded' headline. Newspapers do have a tiny reputation for some exageration!!

I know that by a lot of your standards my 4 1/2 stone weight loss in a year isnt massive, but I do know that it has massively reduced my medical problems, not to mention my stress levels.

I'm glad I had my band, it has given me the ability to take control of my eating habits and I am happier and healthier for taking a calculated risk to have it fitted.

Back